F1 visa rejected based on 221(g)

March 2006 - Mumbai - 221(g) refusal

hi,

I am a phd student with just 10 months or so left before i graduate. I came back recently and went for a visa renewal at mumbai consulate, even though my earlier visa was valid for the next 3 months. I just wanted to be on the safe side.

Instead, I got caught up in this 221(g) quagmire. Are there any others out there like me?

Can anyone help me make a guess as to how long its gonna take?

Is going to senators/congressmen to try and speed up the process of any use?

Its ruining my PhD like anything.

thanks,
pnq2msp

Hi pnq2msp,

I ran into the same situation last year (June-July 2005). My I-20 indicated that I will finish in May 2006 (about 10 months when I went to renew the F1 in Chennai). The visa officer retained the passport and I-20 and I had to answer to the usual set of questions. The US consulate did this based on what-they-call 221(g)-which indicates that your research work in the US is potentially related to some sort of terrorism-related work (basically, the visa officer would not take a chance, due to both ignorance and arrogance). They will usually take about a month (!, yes) to respond (this is on an average for students renewing their F1. There have been cases where new F1 visas have been delayed as long as 2 months!
You are not alone. There are many like you and there is a yahoo groups-search for 221g and enroll and keep reading the numerous stories there.

There is no need or use to seek any help from senators etc. One thing you can do is to ask your boss or PI in the US to fax a support letter to the State department in DC (your application will or is sent to a department in the FBI-probably for the only time in your life in an FBI office). Even that may not reach the right person, but might help. Your boss should explain your nature of research work and why it is not related to any terrorism and how indispensible you are to his lab etc.

That's all I can think of at the moment. But, cheer up and hope that they will get back asap.

Thanks cvm77 for your reply! Today I alteast got a confirmation from them that they received the documents I sent them. (qualifications questionnaire and resume).

should I contact them?

Hi,

This is pnq2msp again-
PhD student, F1 renewal, 221(g) for TAL, mumbai consulate.

The VO said that it'll take 4-6 weeks for this processing and the webpage where the questionnaire was on said 2-3 weeks.

Its just been 2 and half weeks since I sent my documents (questionnaire and resume) to the state.gov email.

I am wondering if its a good idea to email them to enquire about the status of the administrative processing, right now?
or should I wait till 4 weeks are over?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
pnq2msp

Hi all:

Got an email from the consulate asking me to come for an interview. Another DOS email replying to my status inquiry said that my case has been processed by washington and I need to go for an interview.

am planning to go to mumbai consulate on 17th april 2006 - fingers crossed.

will post,
pnq2msp

got my visa!

Hi all:

I went to the consulate on 21st april and got my visa renewed without any problems.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the immense help!!!

Good luck to all future 221g victims. Its nothing but a game of patience!
Key is to enjoy your stay in India!!!

pnq2msp

Hello everyone,

Could you please post the questions that were asked to be e-mailed?

It would be a great help.

Thanks!

221g help

hello friends,
i am doing my PhD in computer science engineering and i came here for renew of my visa, got an 221g pink form.
please help me out.

how long does it take, he told to send an email for 17 questions.

please guide me if anyone has sent an email and how to proceed further since my college starts jnuary 15th only.

221g pink form

hi friends,
I am doing my PhD in csce dept and i came here for renewing my visa in chennai.

myself: good afternoon
VO: are you working for university
myself: no, i am a grad student doing my PhD
VO: what is your dissertation topic
myself: in master's i have done electronic cooling and now in PhD I am using pipeline depth in COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE to electronic cooling.
VO: what is dissertation topic
myself: controlling pipeline depth using power/performance for electronic cooling
VO: what is end user application
MYSELF: CPU'S IN COMNPUTERS
VO: we need some more information and gave me 221g pink form
myself: thank u

now please let me know how to proceed further in my case.
he mentioned in pink form not send send any scanned documents or pdf's only text documents should be sent via email.

how can i send my offer letters in text format???

friends please help me out how to proceed further in my case.

thanks,
raj.

221g questions

1. Name of Applicant, Passport Number. Date & Place of Birth.

2.Please list the names of all accompanying travelers. If you are traveling to U.S. as a member of a team, please list the names and passport numbers of all team members.

3. List your trip itinerary and contact information of where you will stay.

4. Please describe your current research/professional projects in detail, Describe the practical applications of current research or study. Assume that you are describing your work to a qualified scientist/professional in your field.

5. Please describe your planned subjects of research, study or project in the US: practical applications of planned research or study.

6. Your organization’s goals and objectives pertaining to your visit to the US.

7. Plans after completion of study/work (i.e., where will you live/study/work?)

8. Please describe your professional & academic background. Please attach a complete CV/Resume and a thorough list of publications and professional/research references.

9. Previous U.S. visa(s), including date of issuance, expiry and classification.

10. Dates & countries of all previous travel abroad.

11. Sponsoring institutions (US or Indian) funding your travel, research or education.

12. Advisor or contact person in the U.S., including address, phone number and email.

13. Provide details of your letter of invitation and financial sponsorship.

14. Export License number (or if pending- Export License Application number).

15. Send the above information via email to: ChennaiSAO@state.gov

16. Title the email Subject line as: “Passport # -- Full Name”

17. Send attached documents in the “Text Only (*.txt)” format

18. Do not send scanned documents or PDF files.

221g = the consulate is not ready to issue you a visa at the moment

Your only option now is to supply whatever the consulate is requesting you. A 221g does not mean a rejection, all it means is that the consualte is not in a position to make a final determination with regards to your case.
Good luck!!!

I recently appeared for visa renewal interview for my F1. I was told
that my case needs additional processing time and may take
over 2 to 4 weeks. I have a valid US visa which expires in November of
this year.

Can I still travel to the US to be there in time before the start of my fall
classes? or will there be a travel hold on my visa?

Please advice.

Thanks,
A very concerned student!

Hello,
I had my F1 visa interview for the PhD program in the last week of June, 2008 and i went there pretty relaxed. I was handed a detailed questionnaire instead within the 10 sec of the interview. It has been 8 weeks since then and there seem to be no progression in my case. My passport and all the other docs are with the embassy since the day of interview. on mailing the embassy, i got a reply that my case is pending under section 221g. Usually everybdy receive their visa within 4-6 weeks but mine is takin longer than usual. My classes have already started ay the uni n if i fail to join within next couple of weeks the admisiion wud be cancled(as indicated by the Grad office).
Can someone suggest what to do next?? i have been sitting n waiting fr the visa since 8 weeks...

worried
sinar

HI,
I'm for my F visa renewal out of the US, in Canada. The consulate has put me on background check. I'm concerned about the period of delay and the factors affecting it.
I have few questions, i'll appreciate if anyone will answer.
While waiting for my background check:
1) Can i travel other provinces within Canada (I'm a permanent resident of Canada).
2) Can i use my credit cards issued in the US during this period.
3) Can i operate my bank account in the US during this period.

I will appreciate your help.
Thank you

Hi all,
I got 221g during my H1B renewal visa interview. Can some one help with "Plans after completion of work" question, what they are expecting from us for this question. I would appericiate if you can share your answer.
Thanks a bunch...

Thanks S K Ghori for the reply. I am trying to find out what others have answered, because I wanted to answer that "I would return to India after visa expired", but someone pointed that since my I-140 has been approved this answer could be contradictory, so I would appreciate if you could share your response with me. Looking forward for your response.
Thanks.....