F1 to H1

nrsud

I am currently on a F1 visa(OPT). I am applying for H1 in April and I expect to have the approval notice by June at the latest. Now if I go to India in July and get my H1 visa stamped, can I come back to the US before my H1 start date to continue working on my OPT. Is my F1 visa still valid after I get my H1 stamped?

after you get H1B stamp, you will have to enter on H1B in order to be in H1B status. What is the purpose of getting it, if you are planning to come back on F-1 and then change status to H1?

Thanks a lot for the response.

So does that mean if I get my H1 visa stamped in July and come back to the US sometime in July, I will not be allowed to work till october.

you will not be allowed to enter the US in July with H1 visa since employment will start in October. I believe you can enter within 10 days prior to start of employment, you need to check that. Definitely not in July.

travel to India on F1 while H1 is approved!!!

" I am in school right now(just joined PhD) and applied for my H1B in Adv Cap quota this FY2007 and got my approval.I am visiting to India for a month and be back in Sep,2007.Obviously my start date would be from Oct 1,2007.I was wondering if I will have any problem in my status in the interim if I leave the country and come back on F1."

Please let me know the scenario...