F1 student, husband lied about sponsoring me and now jeopardized my status

You're also supposed to be vaccinated against Hepatitis B and polio and diptheria (the diptheria was the only one I needed). Plus chicken pox if you haven't had the disease before. Plus HPV. They also might have recently added swine flu. There are also some age and gender criteria to determine what is required and what you're exempt from.

Don't take what you heard over the phone as the final determination, because it's not official and you weren't in the office and they weren't looking at your records and the doctor might not have been looking at the age/gender criteria list from the government when talking to you. Or maybe it wasn't even the doctor who was talking to you, it was the nurse or receptionist. Let the doctor review the records when you're there and make the official decision. Be prepared for the possibility of maybe one shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackolantern,
I hope they know what they are doing because I specifically asked what vaccines were required when I called and they told me MMR & Tetanus!

If you talk to a doctor or lawyer or accountant in a 3-minute conversation on the phone, and they have not seen your facts on paper and you are not yet in a paying arrangement with them, you'll sometimes get a different answer when you actually see them and they have time to review all the facts and they're not busy or distracted with whatever was going on in the office when you called them. So you have to take their pre-appointment informal answers on the phone with a grain of salt.

I hope it was a designated civil surgeon that you called up, who was listed on the USCIS web site, and not just any doctor. But you still have to take those informal answers cautiously, as they're not written in stone, and the determination of which vaccines you need or don't need is not official until you show up at their office and have yourself and your records examined.

Jackolantern,
Yes I did call a civil surgeon found on the USCIS website but regardless of whether its on the phone or not they should know what vaccines you need. I specifically asked if there are other vaccines that would be looked at and she said NO, the only 2 that she needs are MMR and Tetatus and if I have those 2 then I don't need any vaccines. She asked me to get records proving ONLY those 2 vaccines and bring that record to her! She did not ask me a general record or a records of anything else, she asked me to bring records proving those 2 vaccines were taken.. So now, I don't know what to believe anymore.

I'm speaking from experience dealing with various professionals. What is said on the phone is unofficial and may change when you show up. Never accept their quick, unpaid verbal answers as the final official word on anything. They'll be correct most of the time, but not all the time, especially when they haven't sat down to read all the facts.

See http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugee...et-fed-reg-notice-vaccination-immigration.pdf for the list of required vaccines (although some are not required based on age or gender). As you can see, it's a lot more than just MMR and Tetanus. Perhaps the doctor was assuming that you would have already gotten the other dozen vaccinations because you're here on a visa, and therefore might only need MMR and Tetanus at this time.
So now, I don't know what to believe anymore.
Don't believe me, and don't believe what you were told on the phone. Believe what happens when it actually happens for real in the doctor's office.

Got back from my Dr.'s appointment. She told me the same thing. The only 2 vaccines required are MMR and Tetanus. The other ones are only required for children she said.

I have a few questions on the I-485 form:

For Application Type, which one do I qualify under? I read all the options and can't seem to qualify under anyone, which one is the one for married to USC?

Jackolantern,
Option a states: an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number that has been approved! ( attach a copy of the approval notice,....)

Since the visa's not been approved, how do I qualify under this option? its kinda confusing to me, lol. Thanks again

It used to be necessary to file I-130 and get it approved before filing the I-485. The wording of those choices on the I-485 has not been updated to reflect that concurrent filing is allowed. Choice (a) is the right selection for your situation, despite the out of date wording on the form. If you don't believe me, others here will confirm. And you can search the web elsewhere and you'll find the same thing.

Hello Kaylee, I've been reading the whole story of yours. I wish you good luck. I have some question to ask here. when your husband apply for USC. on form N-400 Part 8 E 3 where it said "Spouse Immigration status" what did you fill out here?

And what will you fill out on form I-485 Part 1 where it said " your current USCIS status" Since you r out of status?

I ask because I will apply for my USC in the future and file the petition for my wife who also F1 out of status like u. I won't become a USC in the next 4 years such a long time.
Any body have any idea will be appreciated. Thank you.

Rickyjkh,
Thanks for reading & the well wishes. Good luck both to you and your wife for your future applications. For Spouse Immigration status, he put F1, out of status and that's the same thing I wanna put on the I-485. The lawyer said it doesn't make a difference coz if the spouse petitioning is a US Citizen, as long as you entered the US with a valid visa you will be fine. Maybe other readers can confirm this....

I am an LPR right now. I already file the I-30 for my wife. I know that will take a while until the visa become available. Do anybody think this is the good idea by file the I-30 for her right now? I know I might become a USC when the visa become available. But what is the visa become available before I become a USC will it be a problem for her? Any body have any idear will be appreciated. Thank you.

It's usually better to just wait till you become a USC and file to adjust her status. A lot of people had an I-130 filed prior to their spouse becoming a USC and found themselves facing delays once the spouse became a USC!

Hi guys, just a quick note to update you. My husband had his interview this morning and he was approved, will be sworn in this afternoon. Now I can begin my process, thank you so much for your help and support. I will be back for more questions Im sure

Good. When he has the naturalization certificate, you can take a copy of it to send to USCIS with all your other I-485 paperwork ASAP.

Jackolantern,
Yes, I am starting to gather everything I need and all the supporting documents. Thanks again for your help throughout this process