F1 student, husband lied about sponsoring me and now jeopardized my status

I have questions on Form I-130 :
Question 14 on the form asks for" date arrived" should I put the date of my last entry in the US or first Entry as an F-1?
It also asks for Date authorized stay will expire as shown on Form I-94. Since I entered with an F-1 visa, I don't have a date stamped on my I-94, so what's the correct answer to this question? Thank you for your help`

I have questions on Form I-130 :
Question 14 on the form asks for" date arrived" should I put the date of my last entry in the US or first Entry as an F-1?
The last entry to the US, whatever status that was.

It also asks for Date authorized stay will expire as shown on Form I-94. Since I entered with an F-1 visa, I don't have a date stamped on my I-94, so what's the correct answer to this question?
D/S.

Thanks. What does D/S stand for? Also do I need to send any of my tax documents with my application? Thanks a bunch!

VisaNutz,
Thank you but I thought it was the opposite. The sponsor has to provide tax forms for I-130. Are you talking about joint tax returns for I-485?

I asked earlier about this but need some more clarification. On Form I-485, Question1, I checked A but just read on the GC Do it Yourself thread that H should be checked. Someone who checked A got their application denied. Can anyone clarify this for me please? Thanks

Kaylee - Tax forms are not required for I-130. However, you could probably include them with I-130 as proof of bona-fide marriage, based on the fact that you filed jointly.
It's also not technically required with 485, but since you will need to file 864 (Affidavit of Support) will 485, you will need to file sponsor's tax docs.

Btw, for question 1, it's A, not H. Whoever says it's H is a moron or does not have any sense of logic. I used A on 4 different I-130s and they all were approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I just received a rejection notice for my 1-485 application packet. I had filed this along with the I-130 petition from my wife, a U.S. citizen. The rejection stated:

__________________________________________________ ____________________
Based on the information you provided, your priority date could not be established. Please resubmit your application with the proper documentation to the address listed on the bottom of this notice.

The following documents may be provided:

Your original Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) if you are filing concurrently, or
__________________________________________________ ____________________

I don't know what to do now. The I-130 application was also returned, without a reason but with the I-797C. I have the following questions:

On Part 2 of Form I-485,
I chose (a). But I did not attach a copy of the I-130 application because the I-130 application with the required documents had been concurrently filed and mailed in the same packet.

Should I have attached a copy of the I-130 here with the I-485 application, as well as the separate cover letter/I-130/photos/ sent in the same packet?

Should I have selected (h) and explicitly written out that a form I-130 had been filed by my US Citizen wife along with this application packet?

thanks

PVJ

VisaNutz,
Thank you for ur answer. That post stems from the one quoted above. Does it mean that 2 copies of I-130 need to be sent with one attached to the I-485 application? Thanks again for your help! It's appreciated

You could attach a COPY of the original I-130 with the 485 package. I never did - and there were no problems.

VisaNutz,
Ok thanks. I won't attach a copy then. It seems to me that one I-130 should be sufficient since everything goes to the same office. The USCIS can be very confusing sometimes. Thanks again for ur help

It was probably some inexperienced I/O. Do select "A" on q.1 but to be safe - just include a copy. Make sure it is the copy of the original I-130, not another filled out I-130.

The I-130 copy is unnecessary and could cause confusion. Just make sure the I-130 and I-485 forms are in the same package. It's only if the I-130 and I-485 are filed separately, then you would include a copy of the I-130 receipt or I-130 approval (not a copy of the filled-out I-130 form) with the I-485 form.

The quoted post above must have been due to a mistake the USCIS clerk made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thank you!

I have a few questions on the I-864 form.
Question21: This question asks for persons not sponsored in the affidavit but ask to put 1 for spouse on part-b. I am the beneficiary, hence already counted on part-a....So should I just leave the spouse part blank?

Question 25: It asks for income on form 1040EZ as reported on Sponsor's Federal Tax Returns. However, my husband and I filed joint returns so the income on the 1040 EZ is a combined income of both our individual incomes. If I put that number there, it's going to inflate his earnings, and will be different from Individual Income entered for Question 23. What should be the correct answer for this question?

Thank you for your help.

21: Don't count anybody twice. So after you were counted in part (a), you would leave (c) blank. (c) would be filled in only for a married person who is sponsoring somebody other than their spouse, as in that case the spouse would not have been counted in (a).

25: Use the 1040 even though it was joint income. Don't worry that it will be different from the individual income for #23. Even for an individual return, #23 would often be different from #25, because the adjusted gross income involves certain adjustments. For example, somebody with $50K in gross salary who contributed $10K into their 401K would have an adjusted gross income of $40K (assuming no other adjustments), resulting in different amounts for #23 and #25.

Jacko is right - the form specifically asks for "Adjusted Gross Income".

Also on the topic of including a copy of I-130.. it's kind of frustrating. On one hand, you don't need to include a copy of I-130 with I-485. Then the topic of "incompetent" clerk comes in, so you think you might want to include it - then, it's the possibility of confusing an otherwise competent I/O - I am SORRY, really. I didn't include with mine and I was ok - so, I guess it's a personal choice.

Thank you guys, this is really appreciated. I think I will only put one copy of the I-130 in my package and take my chances. I mean, when they get the entire package they should know what's what. I will also include cover letters explaining the basis of my application. Also, since we are not using any joint sponsors or assets, do I need to put anything in part7 of the form Thank you so much again, I will come back if I have more questions.

Thank you guys, this is really appreciated. I think I will only put one copy of the I-130 in my package and take my chances.
Make a photocopy of the completed I-130 and I-485 ... but keep those copies for yourself so you'll know exactly what information they received.

Also, since we are not using any joint sponsors or assets, do I need to put anything in part7 of the form Thank you so much again, I will come back if I have more questions.
If the USC sponsor already has enough income to meet the requirement, the part 7 with assets doesn't have to be filled in. Any assets you list there may result in USCIS wanting documentation to prove it, so if you don't need the assets to qualify, leave part 7 empty.