F1 student, husband lied about sponsoring me and now jeopardized my status

Kaylee, glad u got one thing behind you....one day t a time. Hang in there.Take care of urself and child.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Lady M.

I also received my work authorization card this week. I wasn't expecting so now all I have to do is wit for the interview.

I also received my work authorization card this week. I wasn't expecting so now all I have to do is wit for the interview.

Hurry up and go to a Social Security office and apply for a SSN. Unless you already have an SSN from your F1 student days.

Al Southner, I will send you a penny. What's your address? :p

Jackolantern, I have a SSN but it says on it " not allowed to work without authorization" , should I apply for a new one without the restrictions?

Al Southner, I will send you a penny. What's your address? :p

Jackolantern, I have a SSN but it says on it " not allowed to work without authorization" , should I apply for a new one without the restrictions?

The EAD is what gives you the authorization to work with that SS number. You don't have to wait for a new card or number in order to get a job:)

makrida, yeh i know, thanks :)

Hello everyone, how are ya? Wanted to update you guys that I got my interview letter set for Nov 9th. Cross your fingers for me. They are asking for a lot of documents though and some of them I've already submitted, do I have to bring duplicates at the interview? Also, is my husband's birth certificate really necessary? Thanks

I hope you only sent copies of the supporting documents with the application. You're supposed to send copies with the application, and bring originals to the interview.

His birth certificate is not necessary, since he was not born in the US. But you definitely should bring your child's birth certificate.

Is he going to attend the interview?

Our 2 year anniversary will be in June. But I don't wanna stay in this marriage coz I don't trust him so its pointless. I don't wanna stay just for the papers. Also, his parents are citizens but I don't know since when so can't answer that question. Also how does the parents being citizens make him one?
I really dont wanna stay in this marriage because of the emotional abuse I will have to go through since he will be using this to hold me hostage.

So you don't want to stay in the marriage because of emotional abuse but you want the green card so much more you would rather stay bear it out until you get it!

Find a decent USC who will love you, treat you right and care of you and your child, AND marry you.

You make it seem like you life is in danger so get out and forget about any green card from him What makes you think even after he files for you that he is going to treat you any better.

You would rather endure abuse for a greencard - sorry but no country's citizenship is worth that.

So you don't want to stay in the marriage because of emotional abuse but you want the green card so much more you would rather stay bear it out until you get it!

Find a decent USC who will love you, treat you right and care of you and your child, AND marry you.

Not so simple. If she doesn't complete this GC process, deportation may soon follow, the child would end up in the custody of the abusive guy, and she may never see the child again nor have the opportunity to meet and marry another USC.

The interview is less than a month away, and they have been married for over 2 years so upon approval she would directly get a 10-year card.

I hope you only sent copies of the supporting documents with the application. You're supposed to send copies with the application, and bring originals to the interview.

His birth certificate is not necessary, since he was not born in the US. But you definitely should bring your child's birth certificate.

Is he going to attend the interview?

Yes he will attend the interview, and I didn't send originals just copies of most of the documents so I guess I will just bring the originals with me at the interview. Thank you for helping again :)

Not so simple. If she doesn't complete this GC process, deportation may soon follow, the child would end up in the custody of the abusive guy, and she may never see the child again nor have the opportunity to meet and marry another USC.

The interview is less than a month away, and they have been married for over 2 years so upon approval she would directly get a 10-year card.

Thanks for saying this. I have my reasons for staying and if it was just for a GC for me, I would be long gone lol.

You make it seem like you life is in danger so get out and forget about any green card from him What makes you think even after he files for you that he is going to treat you any better.

You would rather endure abuse for a greencard - sorry but no country's citizenship is worth that.

Do not judge without knowing all the facts, I could tell you what's going on in depth but i seriously don't have the time or energy to get into details so if you wanna judge by the glimpse you have into my life go ahead, you just have no idea lol.. And I don't need to find a decent "USC "to love or marry, wtf? I love and marry someone because I love them not for their citizenship or nationality! And thank you for your concern, but if my life was in danger I wouldn't be here.

Sure sounded like you were certainly in danger when you first posted. You should review your initial comments.
No intentions to judge. Wish you all the best!!! :)

the forum is for immigration advice. she has not asked for anyone's opinion regarding how bad her husband is or whether she should remarry. let's keep the posts pertinent to her AOS.
kaylee- good luck for your interview and I am glad you got your EAD.

immiqrous, sorry abut the confusion, thanks anyways lol

gcmarch2010,
Thank you for saying that :) I really appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator: