F1 marrying US Citizen

cicciobombolo

Hello,

Here my situation, I have just completed my MBA and I am on OPT now. I am currently NOT working :(

My girlfriend and I are planning to getting married. She an US Citizen. We are in Seattle.
I have several questions:

1) Do you know ALL the forms we have to fill in to change my status, ask for the required employment status, ask a permit to travel et cetera ?

2) Once we send all the forms, how soon I will be eligible to work in the US and travel outside the US ?

3) Do you recommend to hire an immigration lawyer ? Do you have an idea of the costs of the application AND the lawyer/hour fees ?

4) As I have been here for about 2 years, can I apply to change my status just after our wedding (i.e. the day after)?

5) With the new regulations, on OPT we have 90 days max of unemployment. What If I accumulate 90 days of unemployment between the change of the status and approval. Let's say I am UNEMPLOYED for the whole period:

August 1st start OPT
October 1st Wedding
October 2nd send the application for change status
October 31st OPT expires because I am unemployed

I am still legal ???

Sorry for all these questions,
Thank you very much

I am responding to your questions below, following each question:

1) Do you know ALL the forms we have to fill in to change my status, ask for the required employment status, ask a permit to travel et cetera ?

You can find all the forms listed on the forum and in the stickys, too many to name

2) Once we send all the forms, how soon I will be eligible to work in the US and travel outside the US ?

You will get the work permit within 2-3 months and you can work immediately after you receive the work permit. As for travel, see my answer below.

3) Do you recommend to hire an immigration lawyer ? Do you have an idea of the costs of the application AND the lawyer/hour fees ?

Costs depend on the lawyer, however, there are a lot of people who have done the forms by themselves with no problem, if you are attentive to details you should be fine on your own.

4) As I have been here for about 2 years, can I apply to change my status just after our wedding (i.e. the day after)?

Yes, you can apply as soon as you get your marriage certificate.

5) With the new regulations, on OPT we have 90 days max of unemployment. What If I accumulate 90 days of unemployment between the change of the status and approval. Let's say I am UNEMPLOYED for the whole period:

August 1st start OPT
October 1st Wedding

I am still legal ???

Even if you are illegal now, all the illegal presence by you in the US would be forgiven through your marriage to a US citizen, however, it would be extremely risky for you to travel outside the US (even with the permit), you will be facing an almost 100% change that your re-entry would be denied if you are illegal now. I hope this helps

Hello,

Here my situation, I have just completed my MBA and I am on OPT now. I am currently NOT working :(

My girlfriend and I are planning to getting married. She an US Citizen. We are in Seattle.
I have several questions:

August 1st start OPT
October 1st Wedding

I am still legal ???

Sorry for all these questions,
Thank you very much

Answers to question 1 and 3:

1. http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=282291 this should help with all the forms you will need

3. No (immigration lawyer that is)! Application cost is $ 1465, plus cost of physical exam, about $150. Lawyer fees- dont know, but you shouldnt need one.