F1, J1, and H1B I have all the problem..helpppp

roosinaga

Registered Users (C)
Help ....I-20 and DS2019. can i have it both ?

Can somebody be wise to suggest me

- I will start the degree program in University, got admission, will soon get my I-20 for F1 student visa application,

- I get a job and trying to start working with J visa DS-2019 formular.

- Some companies interested to employed me but I have to wait H1B till October 2007

My question,

1. If I get I-20, can I at the same time get DS-2019 ?

2.Can I work full time (with F1) at the Company based on economic hardship reason since first semester?

3. Can we start working after H1B petition approved? or after the change of status I539 approved...?

I am hell got head ache about all of this...please help..............please if anyone has some information or been in the same situation like me...

Thanks.......mucho gracias

Last edited by a moderator:
1. If I get I-20, can I at the same time get DS-2019 ?

you can be issued two forms at the same time, however, you cannot have two different statuses at the same time. You'll have to pick one.

2.Can I work full time (with F1) at the Company based on economic hardship reason since first semester?
no, only starting in the second academic year.
3. Can we start working after H1B petition approved? or after the change of status I539 approved...?
you can start working on October 1, after your change of status has been approved.

Thanks for the answer.

I confused right now.
For example, I choose F1 status. Then I kept I-20 and DS2019 both, do I need to apply for J waiver 2 HRR ? since I want to stay working in US afterwhile on Oct 1,2007

Thanks so much.

F1 and J1 are TWO different statuses. So, you cannot be F1 and J1 at the same time. You need to pick - either I-20 or DS2019. The normal route is either straight to H1 or start studying/graduate on F1 / J1 and then move to H1.

Hi

I think status is equal -to what visa stamping on passport. But I know many people have getting more than one or two I-20 form, if they attend different school at the same time.

I wonder if there are some people has DS2019 and I20 together, and just pick one kind visa stamp. ??

I wonder if there are some people has DS2019 and I20 together, and just pick one kind visa stamp. ??

when you go to the embassy to get your visa you will have to apply for it based on either I-20 (F-1) visa or DS-2019 (J-1) visa. Then you will enter on that visa with the corresponding form, and you will attend school with your SEVIS record corresponding to the form and visa you have entered with.
Once again - while you can two different visas in your passport at the same time, you cannot be in two statuses at the same time. You will have to choose one and use it.

Status is what you get inside the US once you enter on a particular visa. If you enter on F-1 visa, you will be in F-1 status until you formally change your status to J-1 (abandoning yor F-1 status) or H-1 (or any other status) through filing form I-539 with USCIS.

Not every J-1 student has HRR. It depends on the program.
But I know many people have getting more than one or two I-20 form, if they attend different school at the same time.

no, that doesn't happen either. While you can attend another school part-time while you are attending your original school indicated in your I-20 full-time, you cannot get a new I-20 for that part-time school.

to Lucy Mo

hallo Lucy,

i need your advise once again,

- Is it allowed to study with J1 visa, and holding DS2019. If it's ok, how the way explain to university that I need DS 2019 instead of I-20?

- With DS2019, is allowed me to work (off campus) for a company ?

Please help, i need your advise

Thanks so much

J-1 has many subcategories, one of which is an exchange student. Yes, it is possible to study on J-1. If your school is authorised to provide students with DS-2019 forms, they can do it for you, if they want to. If they are only authorized to issue I-20 forms, that's what you are going to get.

You can work up to 20 hours per week on campus during the fall and winter semesters.
You can work over 20 hours per week on campus during the summer semester and other designated breaks (winter and spring vacations).

You are NOT allowed to work off campus without special permission from USCIS. You may be elible for OPT (F-1), CPT (F-1) or Academic Training (J-1).

Who is eligible for Academic Training? A J-1 student who:

is in the U.S. primarily to study rather than engage in academic training;
is in good academic standing;
has a specific employer with a specific description of the training opportunity related to field of study; and
has written approval in advance from the Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for duration and type of academic training.