F-1 and AOS

khushibose

Registered Users (C)
My husband became a US citizen last month and we filed AOS paperwork (I-485, I-864, G-325A) for me. I am currently on F-1 visa. My I-20 is valid till August 2010. However, my visa expired in Dec 2006. I have been maintaining full course load and am a full time PhD student. I received my notice of action for I-485 today. Now I am concerned what is my status? Also, I am a TA in my department. So now that I have filed for AOS and received NOA will I be able to work as TA in my department in fall or do I need to file for EAD?
Your response will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

F-1 allows you to work as TA. Once you get your EAD you can work anywhere, including your department. You will become an adjustee and will lose your F-1 status, but thats pretty much irrelevant at this point. You should have your GC in 6-9 month.

But I have not filed for EAD because I do not intend to work now. I will be completing my degree in a year and I was planning to apply for my EAD (485 based) at that time. So can I work as TA without an EAD?

As long as your I-20 is valid the fact that your F1 visa expired is not a concern unless you leave the country. Along the same lines you are fully authorized to work on campus as long as you are "on status" i.e. you are a full time student by either taking the required credits or by obtaining a full time certification, so you seem to be fine.
Now, if I were you I would file the I-765 form just to be safe, or at the very least I would talk to the international office and see what they think, believe it or not, they can be useful.

My husband became a US citizen last month and we filed AOS paperwork (I-485, I-864, G-325A) for me. I am currently on F-1 visa. My I-20 is valid till August 2010. However, my visa expired in Dec 2006. I have been maintaining full course load and am a full time PhD student. I received my notice of action for I-485 today. Now I am concerned what is my status? Also, I am a TA in my department. So now that I have filed for AOS and received NOA will I be able to work as TA in my department in fall or do I need to file for EAD?
Your response will be much appreciated.

Thanks.