Extension Request for IL and Oath

mals

Registered Users (C)
Me and wife got IL and Oath for 06/25/08. I will be here in US at that time but wife will not be here. She has already booked her tickets to India in middle of May and she will be staying there for 3 months (not work, just vacation and attend to family). Long planned vacation and multiple important events and occasions to attend. We never thought we would get IL so soon and that is why everything was planned like that.

Now my questions,
1. Can we postpone her IL and OAth?
2. How seriously does INS take if we request postponement of her IL and Oath for 3 or 4 months?
3. What are usually good reasons to cite in the postpone request?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

A1: Yes you can. Just send a letter to the DO. She got a letter for her interview and oath? Is you DO Newark?
A2: INS does not exist. USCIS will simply reschedule her IL. However at times your request letter may still result in USCIS sending your wife a no-show letter.
A3: You do not have to provide them with a reason.
A4: I would personally never try to re-schedule any USCIS appointment.

Thanks Triple_Citizen.
Yes she got a letter for her interview and oath and DO is Newark

The problem with rescheduling an interview is that you never know when (or if) you'll get a new date in a timely manner. It may be a month or two, maybe much, much longer. Its not unheard of for people to try to reschedule, then not hear anything again until they eventually follow up with an Infopass and discover their case is still stuck in a desk drawer somewhere.

So anyway, maybe you get the hint that its really not a good idea to attempt to reschedule anything. Keep on the fast track, get the naturalization done and move on with your life. Vacations can wait.

I have a similar question, in regards to Newark IL and Oath letter. I have appointment on May 15th, which I can attend, but I'd rather wait to take the Oath, as I'm travelling the next week back to Canada for my mother's 75th birthday. Anyone have any experience or advise on passing the interview/test, but postponing the Oath? (I understand that I can get an expedited passport, but even that seems to take 2 weeks, and requires proof of travel...and I was planning to drive back to Toronto).

Thanks for any advice,

Jonathan

I have a similar question, in regards to Newark IL and Oath letter. I have appointment on May 15th, which I can attend, but I'd rather wait to take the Oath, as I'm travelling the next week back to Canada for my mother's 75th birthday. Anyone have any experience or advise on passing the interview/test, but postponing the Oath? (I understand that I can get an expedited passport, but even that seems to take 2 weeks, and requires proof of travel...and I was planning to drive back to Toronto).

Thanks for any advice,

Jonathan

If you go to one of the 12 regional passport centers, you can get a passport same-day with proof of imminent travel. If you don't live near enough, there are passport agency services who can process an application on your behalf.

OK--somewhat off topic, but how would you provide proof of imminent travel if you are intending to drive, instead of flying...

Jonathan

If you are intending to drive you might still get away by using your naturalization certificate and some other form, no absolute need for passport yet ;) That's a valid question, but I don't have the answer, when passports are mandatory to cross by land they will have to come up with a reasonable document list to prove the imminent travel.

Newark is fast. I wish I have the problem of interview scheduled "too soon" that some here are worried about. "Too soon"...sigh!