extending stay in India for more than 180 days

manishw

Registered Users (C)
I'm posting my question here because the forum for Indian visa related questions is not so active.

My daughter has a 10 year multiple entry visa for India. She can stay for upto 180 days during each visit. What do we need to do if she wants to stay for more than 180 days? Have anyone faced a similar situation? WHen I sent an email to the Indian consulate in San Francisco, they sent me a one line reply:
TROURIST VISA - MAX STAY 180 DAY, NOT EXTENDABLE

There has to be a way out. I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Max stay is 180 days. Depending on which part of India she is visiting she can make a qucik trip outside and come back (could be even on the same day). If she's in southern India a 1-2 hr flight to colombo and back on the same day after 160-170 days of stay would allow her tostay for 6 mor month without a problem. A land trip to Nepal/Bhutan does not count usually but i am not sure of this. Thailand and Singapore are good options too.

I think you can extend your stay by requesting the extension through the immigration office. I dont remember the exact forms but we did for my son in 2003 ( actually my FIL did it within India ). Didn't have to take a trip outside.

No need to leave India.

manishw said:
I'm posting my question here because the forum for Indian visa related questions is not so active.

My daughter has a 10 year multiple entry visa for India. She can stay for upto 180 days during each visit. What do we need to do if she wants to stay for more than 180 days? Have anyone faced a similar situation? WHen I sent an email to the Indian consulate in San Francisco, they sent me a one line reply:
TROURIST VISA - MAX STAY 180 DAY, NOT EXTENDABLE

There has to be a way out. I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Hi,
My daughter stayed for more than 180 days from 2002 to 2003. My dad just applied for some clearance from police and she could stay. No need to leave India and come back. Check with local police station.

Thanks,
GC_Kaavaali

Dear GC_Kaavaali & hathwar,

Thanks for your reply. Its nice to hear that my daughter won't have to go out & re-enter the country within 180 days.

It would be great if you tell me the exact procedure, because you know how much efforts I'll need to put if I try to get any info from police/immigration in India.

manishw said:
Dear GC_Kaavaali & hathwar,

Thanks for your reply. Its nice to hear that my daughter won't have to go out & re-enter the country within 180 days.

It would be great if you tell me the exact procedure, because you know how much efforts I'll need to put if I try to get any info from police/immigration in India.

Your daughter dont need to go out and reenter. your daughter can visit "Foreigners Registration officers in India" I read somewhere that children below 14 dont need Registration in India
read the full page and you will know what should be done:
http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/visa_guide.htm

** why you did not get her PIO Card??? it costs same fee as Visa ,for children below age of 18 years it is $150 and valid for 15 years.No requirement to register with the Foreigners Registration Officer if continuous stay does not exceed 180 days. If continuos stay exceeds 180 days, then registration is required to be done within a period of 30 days of the expiry of 180 days:

PIO card can also be applied in India:
Authority to which application is to be made:-

(i) An application for issue of a PIO Card shall be made to an Indian Mission in the country where the applicant is ordinarily resident.

(ii) Applicants already in India on Long Term Visa (more than one year) shall make the application for issue of a PIO Card to the following authorities:-

(A) Those residing in:-

(a) Delhi
Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Level –II, East Block VIII, R.K. Puram, Sector – I, New Delhi.

(b) Mumbai
Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Annex II, Commissioner of Police, Craw Ford Market, Mumbai - 400001.

(c) Calcutta
Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, 237, Acharya Jagdish Calcutta - 700020

(d) Chennai
Chief Immigration Officer, Bureau of Immigration, Shastri Bhavan Annex, No.26, Haddows Road, Chennai- 600006.

(B) Those residing in areas other than (A) above:-

Joint Secretary (Foreigners). Ministry of Home Affairs, 1st floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan, Khan Market New Delhi-110003.

Last edited by a moderator: