Extended review when in Queue for oath

vindictive123

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Please let me know if you can help me with this. I had my interview on 1/21 which I passed and was recommended for approval. On 1/23, my status changed to " in Oath Ceremony queue". It had been more than a month so called the USCIS to make an inquiry on my case with my DO. Here's the response

Our records show that your N-400, Application for Naturalization, is currently pending extended review. We regret that we are unable to provide you with a completion date for your N-400, Application for Naturalization. We apologize for the delay.

My question is
Why is there an extended review, when my application was put already in the queue for oath?
If there's an extended review, why was my case put in the queue? Doesn't make sense. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Difficult to say.

Was their anything in your case that "potentially" could have affected your application?

Difficult to say.

Was their anything in your case that "potentially" could have affected your application?

Hi NJN400- Thanks for your reply. My wife and I have a straightforward case. I'd say "vanilla" cases. Both of us got our GCs together through H1B with me being primary and she being secondary. Now we applied for citizenship after 5 years. We are law abiding citizens , paying our taxes on time with no debt.

I don't even know what this extended review means even though we are in the oath ceremony queue. I still have another week to go before my 45 days period is up so I'm thinking the response I got from the DO (San Antonio), is this their standard response? May be they want to say " go away" don't disturb us. Your case is still in the normal processing time frame. I'm just speculating as I haven't seen this status like mine in this forum

If my wife and I don't get our oath letter after the 45 day period, I'll try calling USCIS again and talk to the second tier officer. I only inquired about my case and not my wife's.

I would advise you to fret only when 90 days have passed after the interview.

If my wife and I don't get our oath letter after the 45 day period, I'll try calling USCIS again and talk to the second tier officer. I only inquired about my case and not my wife's.

I would advise you to fret only when 90 days have passed after the interview.

Appreciate your response Triple Citizen. I'm asking this just out of curiosity, . My DO (San Antonio) is tracking towards 5 months for N-400 processing. If I wait 90 days, my timeline will pass beyond the 5 month processing window. So how does it work? Anyways I don't have any other option than waiting. I wish I didn't have a travel coming up which requires a visa. With this status unknown, I cannot apply for this visa.

Anyways I don't have any other option than waiting. I wish I didn't have a travel coming up which requires a visa. With this status unknown, I cannot apply for this visa.

That is life for many people going through some step or other of the immigration process ... And the numbers are just averages. You may be an average joe and comply with averages, or you may be an outlier.

What you need to do is to prioritize and go with an action plan which makes most sense to you.
If travel is more important, get a visa and ask for a delay in oath if that comes up.
If change of status is more important, then push the travel out.
I am sure you will know the drop dead date for each of the above, keep some margin as unexpected things always come up.