Expired Re-entry , any way to go back to U.S

salmanfarooqui

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am a U.S Green Card Holder , currently in India. My re-entry permit expired last year because I couldn't go back to U.S due to health reasons. Is there any way that I can go back to U.S , since I have an unexpired green card.

If you do have a health condition, bring any evidence with you while you enter US. Tell the IO the truth and show him the documents. He cannot deny your entry that time if you tell the truth. But he might send you to an immigration judge. If what you said is true, you have a very good case to win.

Good luck!:)

Apply for the SB-1 (Returning Resident) visa at a US consulate. Even though it is unexpired, your green card is not a valid entry document by itself if you have been outside the US for over a year.

So if the permit expired last year, that means you have been absent from the USA for at least 2 & 1/2 years... you can try a SB-1 (Returning resident) visa, but it is very likely that you already lost your permanent resident status (regardless of whether you GC is expired or not).

What have you been doing in India for the past 2 years? have you filed US taxes? maintained US residence? address? phone, etc?

I applied for Visitor Visa but...

Once my re-entry was expired , I applied for visitor visa for U.S but the officer in the consulate rejected the application because I already had a green card. I told him that I would surrender the green card but he refused!!!!

How long have you been absent? Do you intend to live permanently in the US this time round?

Once my re-entry was expired , I applied for visitor visa for U.S but the officer in the consulate rejected the application because I already had a green card. I told him that I would surrender the green card but he refused!!!!

"Would surrender the green card" carries no weight. There is an official process to surrender it. Contact the US consulate, follow the process and surrender it, and then you should be able to get a visitor's visa.