Experience traveling on AP from Pakistan

2001Case

Registered Users (C)
I have to go to Pakistan since my mom is not feeling well and lots of people telling me different stories like not to travel on AP you can get in trouble when coming back and so forth. Can anyone share the real experience coming back from Pakistan.

Thanks to all

ND 5/14/01

Travelling on AP and coming from pakistan is a big deal. They will not let you board the plane until you have transport letter from US embassy. This letter takes anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. So be careful and plan accordingly. This happened to several of my friends. Once you have the letter, its ok.

Believer,

Could you please elaborate more on this letter. Why is it required and is it just from Pakistan.

I know this is being done in Pakistan for AP and also for people who are traveling on temporary green card stamp on their passports (this is the stamp placed in passport before you receive actual green card). AP only exempts you from having a visa stamped on your passport when you reenter the US. Pakistani immigration officer's has to be satisfied that your are a genuine AP holder. I know several cases including my wife who had to do that. Here is link from murthy.com for phillipine airline's recent decision. http://www.murthy.com/bulletin.html#4

Another thing I want to point out if you are subject to special registration and have done so, do not exit the country without informing the INS. Usually its done at the port of exit.

Hope this helps.

Believer,

Thanks for your reply. Yes it does help. If I understand it correctly its the pakistani who are trying to make sure that the AP paper is genuine.

In anycase thanks once again

azee27516

Question:

Is this for new AP only? or AP which already have payrole stamp till next year.

Does it matter if you travel with a family and kids already are US citizen

Also it this a matter for a specific airline or all the airlines or its a matter of Pakistani immigration

How do you get that boarding letter.

Thanks

2001 Case,

I think believer would be in a better position to answer your concerns as he is the one who gave us this information. I didn't know anything about it till today.

What I know is that I visited Pakistan last December but while coming back I landed in toronto and than few days later took a flight using my AP. I can tell you for sure that while coming from Canada they do not require such a letter. The only reason I am saying this is because I have been to Canada more than once and reentered using my AP without any problem.

What I am trying to figure out is whats the differece between AP paper and the letter which one is suppose to get from the embassy. What makes the letter more ligit than the official travel document.

If anybody has more information on this subject please share.

I don't think it would matter if AP is old or new, and family is traveling with people among them some are US citizens. You have to play safe. This letter is obtained from embassy, and called transport letter, you have to show your AP and some kind of Pakistan and american id. I think embassy is in Islamabad, but consular sections are in different cities. Consulates do not deal with visa's anymore but they do these kind of letters.

Azee came through canada without this letter. He is the lucky one. Not everyone is lucky. You play safe and try to anticipate the worst case senario, and plan accordingly.

Believer

I am not saying what you said is wrong but this is what I got from the website. I will definately try to get this letter and I think I can get it from American Consulate (Karachi).

What would happened if I don't get it time which is for me only < four weeks?

Did your wife got that letter from Islamabad or Karachi?

Transportation Boarding Letters:
For U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) whose documents have been lost or stolen, the Islamabad office may be able to issue a transportation letter. Applications may be filed in person at the office between 8:00 PM and 12:00 PM. When applying for a transportation letter, please bring with you:
evidence of your arrival in Pakistan and departure from the United States;
your passport;
if appropriate, a police report of the stolen items in Urdu with an English translation;
any evidence you may have in your possession indicating your immigration status and residence in the United States.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came back on AP from Canada, back in Feb 2003. I did have to wait a little extra (and actually missed the original flight back to US), but Continental gave me an alternate flight w/o any big hassale.

US Immigration people in Toronto, were courteous but it was annoying to go through such an ordeal. All they asked me was if my pending green card is family based or employment based.

I am very sad to know (just now) that people like us will have a tougher time while coming back from Pakistan!

Please keep us posted on what goes on with you, so we all can be more prepared.

Good luck!

2001Case,

I agree with what Believer is saying you should be prepared for the worst case scnerio.So do your homework before hand and please keep us posted.

hope you have a safe trip

good luck

My wife got it from Karachi after 3 weeks. We had to go through this mental distress situation because we did'nt know about the letter. She was sent back from the airport to get this letter. It is pathetic that we had to go through even she had genuine AP issued by INS. I don't know if any other counrty implements this letter thing or it is just Pakistani authorities. I hope everyone will have their green cards, so they don't go through this.

Yes I think you don't have to, because special registration was meant for people who were present in usa. Upon exit you will surrender your I-94 which was the proof of sp registration. Upon your reentry you will be examined by an immigration officer who will take all your info and thats all.

Hello:

My cousin was not allowed to board the plane from Pakistan and he had to bribe the gut at the airport (sad but true). This was however before the special registration era.

Gkhan.

Believer

Someone told me that if you have use your AP that is enough to show that your AP is valid because you would have a stamp on it

Did your wife was using AP first time??

please explain

Thanks

Parole stamp on AP, I have two of them on my AP when I came back twice from Canada back in May and it is valid till 5/04. I just think that should be enough to show the validity of an AP document.

Yep, Its ok I guess, I could not look at mine and my wife's because they were taken away at the time of AOS.