Experience traveling on AP from Pakistan

Can that letter be obtained within Karachi? Can that be obtained through mail from Islamabad?

Thanks!

I think it should be obtained from Karachi, because they have a cosular section there, I don't know the precise location, because they moved after attack on consulate which used be on Abdullah Haroon road. I don't know if you can obtain letter by mail?. May be somebody knowledgable comment on it.

so what happened in Karachi when you visited?

i'm a pakistani citizen and will be travelling back to karachi over the december holidays.

2001Case (or someone else), can you share what your experience ended up being? were you asked for the "transport letter"? i'm only going back for 2 weeks so i may not have enough time to get this letter. also, if u got the letter, what did you have to do to get it from the karachi US consulate?

i'm travelling on an AP doc which has not been stamped before. the AP document i have is the newer version which has the photo printed on it (as opposed to pasted on it, as was the case for the older version). it also has a "Department of Justice" watermark on it. so i can't imagine why a pakistani immigrant official needs help believing it's authentic!

thanks for your help.

sarmad :)

I just came back from Pakistan on 2nd of December on AP and did not have any problem with the immigration in Pakistan or USA.

If you are traveling through UK just check if you require a transit visa.

thanks azee27516!

did you have a new AP (without any parole stamps) or an already used one? did they ask any other questions about the AP or any supporting documents?

sidenote, did the pakistani immigration officials bother you about the "protector of emigrants" stamp that H1-B status people are supposed to get? i'm not sure if people on AP are supposed to get it but i was planning on getting it anyway.

thanks for your help!

Sarmad,

I had already traveled a few times using my AP so was not a new one. I was not asked any other question about the AP nor did they ask for any documentation of any sort.

Hope this helps and best of luck !

yeah, i asked about this from my friends and their circle of friends as well. and all of them said they did not have issues travelling on AP from karachi airport (both new APs and used ones).

so i'm not sure why believer's wife had this issue. believer, are u sure there wasn't something else in your wife's case that might have prompted this?

azee27516, thanks for your response. you mentioned that they didn't ask any questions at all. i assume they didn't ask you about the "protector of emigrants" stamp either that H1-B visa holders are supposed to get. so perhaps, AP holders aren't required to have that. it wud be nice if that's the case!

thanks,

okay, i just called the turkish airlines karachi office (that's what i'm flying) and they said they have no problem reconfirming my seats with Advance Parole. they do not know of any issues at karachi airport about "transport letters".

i also called the US consulate in karachi and the person there said they only issue "transport letters" when directly requested by the karachi immigration officials or the airline. they do NOT accept appointment requests directly from travellers.

she also gave me the number to the immigration dept at the US embassy in islamabad. they're not open yet but i'll confirm this with them.

believer, how was your wife able to get this appointment directly? did her airline have to call on her behalf?

this whole thing sounds goofy. it wud seem that u can only get this letter when and if you're stopped at the airport.

if anyone else has any insights, please advise. i leave for karachi in a week and this is very disconcerting.

thanks,

Sarmad, Your information was valuable.
Believer: My wife is travelling to Pakistan. Did you say they turned your wife back from the airport to get the Transport Letter. That is crazy. I am worried as my wife is travelling alone. Where did you get this transport letter and how long did it take. Was it just an isolated case. How can a letter from conslate preceed the AP. These immigration people or going nuts with incompetency and indifference. Thanks

My wife had this problem 3 years ago and now things might have changed as discussed in this thread. We got our letter from us consulate at abdullah haroon road karachi and she had to go personally for appointments and to pick up the letter, but this was before 9/11 and now things have changed and process may be more streamline and pakistani immigration stopped harassing AP travelers. I don't thinks there is right or wrong answer to this dilema. Each and very case is different.

Make sure you carry your expired passport for the period stated towards the end of your current passport.

I ran into some guy who asked me all sorts of weird questions, many years ago. (Basically wanting me to bribe them, I guess) Like do I pay taxes to the Govt. of Pakistan? Where is my last expired passport blah blah...

I guess the key is to be confident and have your papers in order.

Good luck!