Exclusion drug conviction 28 yrs. Ago.

my2daughters

Registered Users (C)
Since I posted this, we have met with atty., but not convinced. We´re told that first we need to get past conviction thrown out. This process is quite expensive and no guarantees are given.
Can anyone familiar with this topic please assist? Any changes in the laws since 2010?

Here is my post from Nov 2010.

Thanks!

My dad is from Cuba and came to the USA in 1980. In 1984 he was convicted of the following and served almost 5 yrs. in prison.

a. TRAFFICKING IN COCAINE
b. CONSPIRAY TO TRAFFICE IN COCAINE
c. POSSESSION OF FIREARM

He was not a resident at the time, although he had applied, but it was not processed.
He was freed in 1987 and has been clean ever since. He's a born-again-christian.

Does anybody out there know if there is any relief avail. for him? My mom & dad have been married over 23 yrs. and she's an American citizen. In the past, they've contacted different lawyers, but I think his case is kind of complicated and they've said to forget it!

Any advise would be appreciated. I think that once someone has paid their dues to society they should have a second chance.

Since I posted this, we have met with atty., but not convinced. We´re told that first we need to get past conviction thrown out. This process is quite expensive and no guarantees are given.
Can anyone familiar with this topic please assist? Any changes in the laws since 2010?

Here is my post from Nov 2010.

Thanks!

My dad is from Cuba and came to the USA in 1980. In 1984 he was convicted of the following and served almost 5 yrs. in prison.

a. TRAFFICKING IN COCAINE
b. CONSPIRAY TO TRAFFICE IN COCAINE
c. POSSESSION OF FIREARM

He was not a resident at the time, although he had applied, but it was not processed.
He was freed in 1987 and has been clean ever since. He's a born-again-christian.

Does anybody out there know if there is any relief avail. for him? My mom & dad have been married over 23 yrs. and she's an American citizen. In the past, they've contacted different lawyers, but I think his case is kind of complicated and they've said to forget it!

Any advise would be appreciated. I think that once someone has paid their dues to society they should have a second chance.

Nope. Waste of time.

Nope. Waste of time.

And what does being a born-again Christian have to do with anything?

You left out the most important detail which is whether it was state or federal charges and if state, which state. Each state has somewhat different pardon procedures, and a pardon would be required. Unless he pulled the governor's daughter out of a well or something it's not gonna happen in this case, especially after Haley Barbour's idiocy in Mississippi.

Exclusion drug conviction 28 yrs. Ago

Thanks for bringing up these important points.

1) It was state conviction
2) already has received ¨restoration of alien¨ rights from governor of state of FL.