"Ever failed to file income tax?" question on N-400

IT75

Registered Users (C)
Good evening to everybody. I have a question about "Have you EVER failed to file income tax".
This is my situation: I filed my 2009 tax return in December of 2009, so now as of time of my application it's filed. On the N-400 form question "Have you EVER failed to file your federal return", should I answer "Yes" or "No"? Basically I filed late and don't owe anything (will get refund actually). My concern is what constitutes this "EVER"? Is it ever by deadline of April 15, or late filing half-a-year later is fine to answer "NO". Because in case of marking "YES", I have to attach my correspondence with IRS and I don't really have any, they never contacted me and now after late filing they are the ones who owe me the refund. At the same point it's scary to put a wrong answer on N-400 and get blamed as a liar and get application denied.
Any input would be very much appreciated.

The deadline for filing the 2009 tax return was April 15 2010.
did you mean you filed the 2009 return in December 2010?

Citizenship
12/01: [day 001] N-400 package sent via USPS to Dallas Lockbox
12/06: [day 006] Package received
12/09: [day 009] Check cashed
12/13: [day 013] NOA N-400
12/20: [day 020] RFE sent
12/27: [day 027] RFE - FP received
01/11: [day 042] Biometrics done
01/14: [day 045] YL sent
01/18: [day 049] Case transferred to local office
01/21: [day 052] YL received (driver's license only)
01/24: [day 055] IL received (February 23)

Hey JMG
On the USCIS web site they are giving a average of 5 months for naturalization process , your case should be complete around 3 and a half months .
Is the USCIS web site giving a wrong timeline ?

The deadline for filing the 2009 tax return was April 15 2010.
did you mean you filed the 2009 return in December 2010?

Yes, that is exactly the situation, filed in December 2010, now is awaiting for refund and ready to mail N-400, just this one question somewhat botheres me.

Yes, that is exactly the situation, filed in December 2010, now is awaiting for refund and ready to mail N-400, just this one question somewhat botheres me.

You have nothing to worry about, but if being bothered by small matters is your hobby, go ahead and be bothered...:) USCIS is only concerned about filing taxes, and tax transcripts is the proof they accept as form of complying with tax laws.

Citizenship
Hey JMG
On the USCIS web site they are giving a average of 5 months for naturalization process , your case should be complete around 3 and a half months .
Is the USCIS web site giving a wrong timeline ?

Most people in the December thread seem to have a similar time line, with interviews scheduled in February. We'll see how fast they schedule the naturalization ceremony after that.
5 months is the target time, the actual time may be less than that.