• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Error in DV Lottery Application Form.

utoker

Hi Experts,

My DV application got selected in DV Lottery 2018 as a principal applicant. There is an error on my first name it says "UMUT UMUT TOKER" in form but my real name is "AHMET UMUT TOKER". Seems like I have mistakenly typed my first name and middle name same "UMUT".

Do you have any suggestions, will I be disqualified?

I am looking forward for your reply. Best regards.

Hi Experts,

My DV application got selected in DV Lottery 2018 as a principal applicant. There is an error on my first name it says "UMUT UMUT TOKER" in form but my real name is "AHMET UMUT TOKER". Seems like I have mistakenly typed my first name and middle name same "UMUT".

Do you have any suggestions, will I be disqualified?

I am looking forward for your reply. Best regards.

Unfortunately yes you will be disqualified as the entry will not match the names on your passport and birth certificate.

Don't you think I have any chance in interview?

Personally no I don't, however if you want to go through the whole process and pay all the fees to find out for yourself if you will have a chance, that's your right of course. However the rules are very clear that the name on the entry must be exactly as on the passport.

I didn't fill DS-260 form yet. Do you think If I enter my name correctly in DS-260 form problem might solve?

I didn't fill DS-260 form yet. Do you think If I enter my name correctly in DS-260 form problem might solve?

No, I don't think so. The entry, the DS, and your official identification (passport and birth certificate) all need to match up. But like I said, if you think it's worth taking the chance to hope that they give you a visa, that's your right.

Unusually, I respectfully disagree with Susie on this. I have known many cases that have been approved with similar errors. Correcting the information on the DS260 is key to that (because it allows background checks to be performed correctly). And of course there will be suspicion of multiple entries with name variations (so they will run a check for that). But in most embassies, and if this is the only mistake in an otherwise well presented case, this would be approved. Accra is obviously an exception to that rule where fraud is assumed routinely.

Many, Simon? Ok, I'll take your word as you see more on your blog I guess. I honestly can't recall a single instance of a principal applicant with a name misspelling that made it through, I remember it has happened for a derivative or two. Ditto for errors on birth date.

Ok so OP....I guess you'll pay your money and take your chance.

Many, Simon? Ok, I'll take your word as you see more on your blog I guess. I honestly can't recall a single instance of a principal applicant with a name misspelling that made it through, I remember it has happened for a derivative or two. Ditto for errors on birth date.

Ok so OP....I guess you'll pay your money and take your chance.

Yep - honestly - many. You wouldn't believe the number of people that can't spell their own names. So - I have been telling people to correct the error on their DS260 for a long time (2 years at least) and can't remember a single case where someone was then refused for that error.

Yep - honestly - many. You wouldn't believe the number of people that can't spell their own names. So - I have been telling people to correct the error on their DS260 for a long time (2 years at least) and can't remember a single case where someone was then refused for that error.

We've had a few refused here in this forum for that error ...possibly all in Accra though.

We've had a few refused here in this forum for that error ...possibly all in Accra though.

Oh for sure Accra will often refuse for that. There are also others where the spelling error is to conceal multiple entries - so we might not be getting the full story. But as I said - if I told someone to fix their DS260 and they then got refused - I wold expect them to come back to me if they were being honest in the first place.

what about this error massage I get just before sign and submit the Ds 260 application on line

"The case number you entered does not match the case number that you entered at Sign In."

Thanks for your answers and time so far. I was very careful while filling application form I dont know how I made that mistake. I'm suspicious about systematic error but it can't be only me. Feels bad winning and losing same time :(

I have only one entry, I didn't try to beat system with different names or something like that. If there is a way to check and verify that I belive I have a chance.

I did the same mistake. The form they are using seems to confuse you I guess. I did the exact same error that you did! Were you selected @utoker?

Thank you for this great forum! I have a question: my husband's DV2020 entry was selected. In the entry, he included his first name, middle name and only one of last names (he has two last names). He thought that because the field of DV entry application had the name "Last name" (in singular), that he should not put both last names in the same field. He had numerous U.S. visas issued under his full name (with both last names) but his SSN also has only one last name. How serious this mistake can be?