Entering US with I-94 but WITHOUT Passport?

Klepper

Registered Users (C)
My passport is expiring in August, 2007. My TN is valid until June, 2008. Instead of renewing my passport by mail (with a 10 week turnaround time), I am wondering if I can travel to Canada, drop off my passport application, and then re-enter the US by land without my passport (since I need to give it up when I apply for the new one) but with my valid multiple entry I-94, drivers licence and birth certificate? Does anyone know if this is possible? Since I travel to Canada often, I can then come back and pick it up in person when it is ready.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Of course it is possible. There has never been a need for PP to get TN, let alone needing one to use the I-94 to enter US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it is possible. There has never been a need for PP to get TN, let alone use the I-94 to enter US.

You must have misunderstood my post. I am living and working in the US currently on TN Status. When I go to cross the border back into the US and the customs officier asks where am I going in the US, and I tell him "back to Texas to live and work", of course he is going to want to see something. My question is, is photo ID, birth certificate, and my valid I-94 good enough, or do I need my passport.

wow...

Of course it is possible. There has never been a need for PP to get TN, let alone needing one to use the I-94 to enter US.

I never thought this was possible...but I guess it applies to Canadian-born TN1 holders and not Naturalized TN1 holders