• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Entering the US for the first time with the Immigrant Visa

Hello, I am about to enter the US for the first time with my Immigrant visa, and I am hoping that some of you can answer some of my questions.

-Can I go to a Point of Entry to "activate" my visa and then depart immediately? If yes, then how do I return to the US without getting my actual green card?

-On their website, they say "a Visa does not guarantee entry into the US". What does that mean? and what are they looking for at the border? Iv heard stories where they require new immigrants to have proof of assets of atleast 15k USD in order to enter. is that true?

Thanks in advance

The only case I have ever heard of someone having a problem entering on an immigrant visa was a land entry from Canada where the person had a criminal record (and he was allowed in eventually). They don't ask for proof of anything - it's all in the envelope you are taking with.

Your stamped visa becomes a temporary green card for a year after entry and that allows you entry back in. Be aware though that some airline personnel don't understand this so be prepared for possible argument at the airline desk when you check in for your next flight to the US ( this is relatively rare, but you can print out USCIS data "proving" that it is fine - just don't make the mistake of calling it a visa when you do this because it is no longer a visa! See the bit at the bottom about proof of I551 when endorsed).

Also be aware that depending how long you stay out for you may get questioned on your return to ensure that you have not intended to abandon residency.

The only case I have ever heard of someone having a problem entering on an immigrant visa was a land entry from Canada where the person had a criminal record (and he was allowed in eventually). They don't ask for proof of anything - it's all in the envelope you are taking with.

Your stamped visa becomes a temporary green card for a year after entry and that allows you entry back in. Be aware though that some airline personnel don't understand this so be prepared for possible argument at the airline desk when you check in for your next flight to the US ( this is relatively rare, but you can print out USCIS data "proving" that it is fine - just don't make the mistake of calling it a visa when you do this because it is no longer a visa! See the bit at the bottom about proof of I551 when endorsed).

Also be aware that depending how long you stay out for you may get questioned on your return to ensure that you have not intended to abandon residency.

THank you very much.

Kinda weird for him to get the immigrant visa with a criminal record.....

Hello

If you can help me on this?
It is mandatory for a fee of $ 165 be made before the entry for the first time in the USA.
If this payment can be made after entering the USA.

Thank you

Hello

If you can help me on this?
It is mandatory for a fee of $ 165 be made before the entry for the first time in the USA.
If this payment can be made after entering the USA.

Thank you

No, it's not mandatory. The payment can be made after entering the US. Of course, the sooner the payment, the sooner the card production begins following the LPR activation.

Hello

I have a question about my immigrant visa. There is an annotation printed: "class b req attn. of USPHS at POE".

The day of my medical I specified I had social anxiety about 10 years ago.

Could it be an issue when I arrive at the airport? What should I do? Thank you for your advice.

Hello

I have a question about my immigrant visa. There is an annotation printed: "class b req attn. of USPHS at POE".

Could it be an issue when I arrive at the airport? What should I do? Thank you for your advice.

Look. I realize you are anxious about this, but I already answered you a few hours ago.

Hello

Not sure what Simon's response was (but I'm certain it was accurate). Nonetheless, I will add some inputs here:

The annotation shouldn't be an issue at the POE. It basically mean they're recommending for the IO that processes you to recommend you for further medical check up with the US Public Health Services - something the IO might overlook at the end of the day.

Question, After activating my Visa. Can I stay at my uncle's place in Canada (Rent free), While applying for jobs in the US and going back and forth attending interview in the US and staying in Canada until I can find a job in the US? Will I run into any problems at the border with CBP officers?

Question, After activating my Visa. Can I stay at my uncle's place in Canada (Rent free), While applying for jobs in the US and going back and forth attending interview in the US and staying in Canada until I can find a job in the US? Will I run into any problems at the border with CBP officers?

I'd think you are highly likely to run into problems. Canada is not the US and frequent trips in and then back to what is a residence outside the US is almost certain to be frowned on. This is apart from the fact that unless you have lots to spend on airfare (yet apparently still less than rent in the US or you wouldn't be doing this), it limits you unnecessarily in terms of where you can look for jobs.

I'd think you are highly likely to run into problems. Canada is not the US and frequent trips in and then back to what is a residence outside the US is almost certain to be frowned on. This is apart from the fact that unless you have lots to spend on airfare (yet apparently still less than rent in the US or you wouldn't be doing this), it limits you unnecessarily in terms of where you can look for jobs.

My uncle lives just right at the border, and I plan to live in a border town in the US for the first year. So it would be less than an hour drive to get to my job interviews.

What If I tell the officer I want to have a job first before so that I can support myself in the US? I already have a state drivers license and purchased a car registered to my name. Do you think that would help?

My uncle lives just right at the border, and I plan to live in a border town in the US for the first year. So it would be less than an hour drive to get to my job interviews.

What If I tell the officer I want to have a job first before so that I can support myself in the US? I already have a state drivers license and purchased a car registered to my name. Do you think that would help?

The CBP officer might wonder what you showed as proof of residence for your state driving license.
Anyway, I wouldn't do it but it's your green card, your call. They will give you a warning - not just dramatically take your card away - so I guess you could do it and have a plan B for if/when the CBP officer makes that dreaded annotation in your passport.

Not sure what Simon's response was (but I'm certain it was accurate). Nonetheless, I will add some inputs here:

The annotation shouldn't be an issue at the POE. It basically mean they're recommending for the IO that processes you to recommend you for further medical check up with the US Public Health Services - something the IO might overlook at the end of the day.

That was exactly what my response was. :)

Quick Question. Did CBP officer take finger prints at the Port of Entry the first time you enter? Cuz they didnt take my prints.