Employment Letter

ms400

Registered Users (C)
I got my GC through emplyment and I already got an employment letter for me from my employer. Is it needed to get employment letter for spouse as well when we go for the interveiw?.

I am confused

I got my GC through emplyment and I already got an employment letter for me from my employer. Is it needed to get employment letter for spouse as well when we go for the interveiw?.

ms400,

Why do you need an employment letter to begin with? Is that one of the new requirements that I am not aware of that you need to have the employment letter at the time of interview?

Not sure exactly what you mean here, so perhaps you could elaborate. If you are talking about proof of employment with the employer who sponsored your GC, there is no need to bring a letter from them, although I am sure it can't hurt as the IOs sometimes want to know how long you worked for the sponsoring employer. However, there are other ways to prove that you did work or are currently working for an employer. These include: pay stubs, employment offer letters, bank statements and tax filings. I think as long as your spouse can provide reasonable proof of employment (e.g.tax returns and a few pay stubs), which she should have and bring to the interview anyways, then you and she should be fine.

Atlanta_Brother,

No. This is not because of any new requirement. I just wanted to have an employment letter, in case if I am asked to provide one.

yummyk,
I have got a verification letter from my sponsering employer and the current employer as well. Just in case if I am asked to provide employment letters. I wasn't sure if I need to get an employment letter for my spouse from her employer. She got her GC through my GC petition. We both have the tax transcripts, W2s and pay stubs ( my pay stubs are e-pay stubs. so, I have copies only). I'm wondering, if we need to get an employment verification letter as well.

Don't take me wrong, but in my humble opinion you have already wasted enough time getting your employment letter for yourself. I wouldn't waste any more time in getting one for your spouse ;) What you are doing has one name, overkill :)

Good luck.

Atlanta_Brother,

No. This is not because of any new requirement. I just wanted to have an employment letter, in case if I am asked to provide one.

yummyk,
I have got a verification letter from my sponsering employer and the current employer as well. Just in case if I am asked to provide employment letters. I wasn't sure if I need to get an employment letter for my spouse from her employer. She got her GC through my GC petition. We both have the tax transcripts, W2s and pay stubs ( my pay stubs are e-pay stubs. so, I have copies only). I'm wondering, if we need to get an employment verification letter as well.
I think you're fine with the documentation that you have. As has been pointed out here, any scrutiny by the IO is likely to be regarding your employment with the employer who sponsored your GC. Since you are covered on that with your letter, then the other documentation you possess now should suffice for both you and your wife. Best of luck.

Importance of employment letter

Atlanta_Brother,

yummyk,

ms400,

If you are still employed with the same compmay who had sponsored your GC, I would keep an employment letter to show the officer that you are still employed with this company etc etc. In my case, I had left that company about a week after I got my GC and had switched atleast 5 to 6 other companies since then. I just took the most recent job verification letter. Too bad the officer didn't even ask me about my most current job and I also didn't feel the need to update him since he never asked.

I stayed with my sponsoring employer for 5 years after getting the GC. But I left the sponsoring employer after I filed N400. I am planning to update my application with the job change at the time of the Interview. I hope there won't be any issue as I left the sponsoring employer only after 5 years after GC.

Thanks for all your input. I'm convinced that it's fine to take only the W2 and pay stubs for my spouse.

I stayed with my sponsoring employer for 5 years after getting the GC. But I left the sponsoring employer after I filed N400. I am planning to update my application with the job change at the time of the Interview. I hope there won't be any issue as I left the sponsoring employer only after 5 years after GC.

Thanks for all your input. I'm convinced that it's fine to take only the W2 and pay stubs for my spouse.
I think you can safely assume that switching jobs five years after receipt of your GC will not cause any issues for you. Wow, five years! That must be some kind of record, as most people seem to switch jobs within several months of obtaining the GC. You and your spouse will both be fine with the documentation that you have.

That is a ridiculously long time, why do you say "only" 5 years? How long did you think you were supposed to stay? A lifetime?

What is reasonable time one can leave the job after getting GC?

Do you need a reason to change job that would satisfy USCIS, in case you're asked at Citizenship time?

Thanks,