Employment change after Green Card

Ok...I want to put this to rest. My friend left his sponsoring employer within 1 week of GC.

How does this put it to rest?

My friend got his citizenship without ever getting a Green Card (and despite having three felonies including murder on his record), and at his swearing in ceremony Obama showed up to pardon him and gave him a billion dollars in stimulus money.

May be it does not 'put it to rest', but it is a strong argument in favor of one's opinion, while your funny message seems completely irrelevant to me. Am I wrong?

May be it does not 'put it to rest', but it is a strong argument in favor of one's opinion, while your funny message seems completely irrelevant to me. Am I wrong?
Yes you're wrong. It is a very weak argument, not a strong one. The guy wasn't even asked about his employment. If he had been asked, and the answer was accepted without resistance or further evidence, that might have supported his point. And even then, one single IO's disregarding it doesn't mean every other IO will be similarly unconcerned.

Jackolantern,

It is obvious that there is no need for such a requirement and hence no questions will be asked by any of the IO's regardless

Are you saying that your "change of heart" argument is STRONG! It is a hypothetical situation. Anyone can change their mind on anything at anytime. That does not mean that we ruin our career now for something that is possibly NOT going to happen in the future. CIS can change any rules anything they want in the future if they really want to prevent it. If we adhere to this now then tommorow, there will be something else to adhere to. How long are you going to wait people????

Some of the IOs do ask, and there are instructions in their adjudication manual saying they should ask under certain conditions.

Do whatever you want. It's you who are bearing the risk or lack thereof for your actions, not me.

Some of the IOs do ask, and there are instructions in their adjudication manual saying they should ask under certain conditions.

Do whatever you want. It's you who are bearing the risk or lack thereof for your actions, not me.

If you have knowledge of the instructions being in the adjudication manual could you also please let us know under what condition(s) they may ask this question? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

USCIS changed up the organization of their web site and I can't find the relevant section on their site. But I found the same pages quoted on another site.

http://www.mikebakerlaw.com/2008/03/naturalization-application-form-n-400.html
The type of questions you ask the applicant to determine whether the applicant acquired LPR status lawfully, depends on how the applicant obtained LPR status. The following are typical examples of how an applicant may have obtained LPR status.

• Through An Employment Based Petition – An applicant obtained permanent residence through employment with a U. S. company. You should review the employment history section of the N-400 application to ensure that the I-140 petitioning employer is listed. If the petitioning employer is not listed, you should prepare questions to address this issue. Such questions might include:

– Did you ever work for the petitioner? – How long did you work for the petitioner? – In what capacity did you work for the petitioner? – Why did you leave the position? – What were you paid? – Where did you work for the petitioner (location)? – Where did you go or work after you left your job with the petitioner or instead of working for the petitioner? – When did you first learn that there would not be a long-term position for you?

If you have knowledge of the instructions being in the adjudication manual could you also please let us know under what condition(s) they may ask this question? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't have any actual link into the Adjucators Field Manual, but realize that the N-400 form has questions like part10, 23: "Have you ever given false or misleading information to any US Government official while applying for any immigration benefit..."
An employment-based GC is sponsored by your employer with the intent to work for him after the LPR is granted. In other words, if I were to quit my job the first day I hold my GC, the sole reason for UCSIS to grant the LPR would come into doubt and USCIS could claim that the sponsoring was not bona fide and either me or the sponsor mislead the adjucator (as per question 23 above).
As Jackolantern explained, it is unfortunate that there is no clear and crisp rule for how many months or even years a employee would have to stay with the sponsoring employer to satisfy it as a bona fide GC. However, the field manual makes it a responsibility for the IO to probe your answers in part10 in a citizenship interview. It's up to his/her instinct and judgment if the more probing questions get asked and how your answers influence the decision.
Jackolantern is not claiming there are hard rules but points out that with the lack of rules and without a court precedence, every former EB GC holder can be subjected to that probing and judgment call by the IO.

To reel back to the OP's questions: if your employer has a hard time keeping you on a steady payroll due to e.g. the current down economic situation, it can be expected that at some point you'd need to change your job to keep yourself economically viable. For a future naturalization interview, it could be a good idea to keep e.g. paystubs and involuntary furlough notices to document that you eventually had to leave your employer in bone fide.

USCIS changed up the organization of their web site and I can't find the relevant section on their site. But I found the same pages quoted on another site.
Thanks for taking the effort in tracking it down.

Only 5 yrs of employment history is required as per the N-400 (citizenship) application. If you leave your employer imdly. after GC and if you are applying for N-400 in the 6th year then you don't have to list the 140 petitioner. However, these questions will arise only if you have NOT listed the 140 petitioner. I agree that there is a risk that they may ask regardless but, this is very minor and even if they do, it may just be for confirmation and cross reference. I have not heard any case rejected until now due to an employee not remaining with the petitioner for more than 6 months regardless of "intent".

FYI to all....I switched my employer within 45 days of my procuring the GC. I have now applied for my Citizenship. Let’s see what happens. Will update this post if and when I get my citizenship.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
After GC, both duration of employment with GC sponsor and salary (>= stated on Labor) during that period are important.
Please see my post.

I VERY VERY VERY STRONGLY suggest to people who have changed the job imdly after GC or are considering to change the job imdly. after GC to......

......read threads under "US Citizenship" in this forum as if you are going to apply for US Citizenship. You will eventually find out that NO ONE really asks "how long you have stayed with 140 petitioner after GC". People have posted hundreds of interview experiences in detail. Of-course there is a posibility that none of them left 140 petitioner within 6 months of GC but there is also a possibility that some of them did.

I have been doing extensive reading in these forums and I am completely convinced that this question is NOT going to be asked to me.

I VERY VERY VERY STRONGLY suggest to people who have changed the job imdly after GC or are considering to change the job imdly. after GC to......

......read threads under "US Citizenship" in this forum as if you are going to apply for US Citizenship. You will eventually find out that NO ONE really asks "how long you have stayed with 140 petitioner after GC".
I have seen posts by people who were asked that, including one within the past month. I'll post a link if I can find it soon.

Even one guy's wife was asked about his employment during her interview, even though the wife was the derivative beneficiary.

Being asked or even harassed about it happens sometimes. However, there are no known denials based on this reason.

A couple of years ago, when my coworker was quitting just 2 or 3 months after he got his green card and I tried to warn him against doing it,
he forwarded me an opinion of a lawyer. The guy was saying that it is only the company that has obligations regarding the job offer
the LC was based on, since it is the company that signs the I-140. When you sign I-485, you don't make any promises regarding working for the company.
Well, just an opinion of one lawyer.

How about if one works for the same company but moves to a different position not directly related to the job description during the GC process. I have worked many different jobs in the same company since getting my GC about 5 years back. The first time I changed departments was 3 months after getting the GC. Any thoughts on this issue?

The guy was saying that it is only the company that has obligations regarding the job offer
the LC was based on, since it is the company that signs the I-140. When you sign I-485, you don't make any promises regarding working for the company.
This AC21 memo indicates differently.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/AC21Intrm122705.pdf
Question 10. Should service centers or district offices deny portability cases on the sole
basis that the alien has left his or her employment with the I-140 petitioner prior to the
I-485 application pending for 180 days?

Answer: No. The basis for adjustment is not actual (current) employment but prospective
employment. Since there is no requirement that the alien have ever been employed by the petitioner
while the I-140 and/or I-485 was pending, the fact that an alien left the I-140 petitioner before the I-
485 has been pending 180 days will not necessarily render the alien ineligible to port. However, in all
cases an offer of employment must have been bona fide. This means that, as of the time the I-140
was filed and at the time of filing the I-485 if not filed concurrently, the I-140 petitioner must have
had the intent to employ the beneficiary, and the alien must have intended to undertake the
employment, upon adjustment

How about if one works for the same company but moves to a different position not directly related to the job description during the GC process. I have worked many different jobs in the same company since getting my GC about 5 years back. The first time I changed departments was 3 months after getting the GC. Any thoughts on this issue?
Given that you stayed with the same employer for years after the GC approval, in addition to staying 3 months in the specified job, I really don't see how they can call your intent into question. If you get denied because of moving around within the company like that, thousands of the rest of us are in trouble.

Once you have a GC you are free to work for anyone doing anything (except where security issues require a citizen). However, the USCIS are perfectly within their right to check at any time, including when processing your citizenship application, to ensure that your GC was obtained legitimately. Doubt could arise if, for example, you left your GC employer immediately on getting the GC and moved to a totally different field. It could also be suspicious if you stayed with the GC employer but immediately changed to a different position with a lower salary, or even just got a salary cut in the same position. There is no hard and fast rule - instead they will look at the legitimacy of each case. If they have any doubt they will likely investigate further.

Like I promised...here is an update......

Yesterday I had my successful citizenship interview in ATL and NO QUESTIONS ABOUT EMPLOYMENT CHANGE. The ONLY question she asked was:

1) Do you still work for your CURRENT employer? (NOTE: NOT petitioning employer)

That's it. No worries. It's all good!