Employment based Vs. Marriage based citizenship

vcpat

Registered Users (C)
Wife's green card application was dependent on mine. She filed and got her citizenship. I am yet to file for citizenship. Instead of filing employment based citizenship now if I file citizenship based on her citizenship later (after 3 years) will it cause any issues?

Thanks
-vcpat

Wife's green card application was dependent on mine. She filed and got her citizenship. I am yet to file for citizenship. Instead of filing employment based citizenship now if I file citizenship based on her citizenship later (after 3 years) will it cause any issues?

Thanks
-vcpat

If you don't qualify now under 5 year rule (due to continuous residence or something else) you can apply under 3 year rule in 3 years instead. You'll still have to meet basic requirements of 3 year rule when you are ready to apply.

It would be good if you could clarify why you think applying based on marriage works better for you. Anyway, be aware that the 3 year rule has a little catch, which is you have to be married to the US citizen for 3 full years (not 3 minus 90 days). That means you still have to wait for 3 years after your wife got her citizenship. If you throw some dates around (when your wife got citizenship, any long trips for you, we might be able to give a better opinion).

Thanks

Due to some issues I prefer marriage based.
The thing that I am trying to get answer is,

If wife's GC application was dependent on mine then can I file my Citizenship based (dependent) on her Citizenship or will that raise some issues during my Citizenship processing?

-vcpat

The thing that I am trying to get answer is,

If wife's GC application was dependent on mine then can I file my Citizenship based (dependent) on her Citizenship or will that raise some issues during my Citizenship processing?

-vcpat

Why should it raise any issues? She's a US citizen and that is what counts for 3 year rule. The fact that her GC was derivative of yours does not affect your eligibility for naturalization.

vcpat said:
Instead of filing employment based citizenship now if I file citizenship based on her citizenship later (after 3 years) will it cause any issues?
There is no employment-based citizenship, unless you are in the military. For non-military people there is the regular 5 year citizenship, and the 3-year marriage-based citizenship.
Those must be some very strange issues, to make it worth it for you to wait 3 years after your wife's naturalization instead of applying in the near future with the 5-year rule. If there are issues surrounding how you obtained your green card, applying for marriage-based citizenship doesn't erase those issues. They are free to investigate the circumstances surrounding your green card process, regardless of what type of citizenship process you choose to pursue.