EB-1 OR; Proof of international recognition

Sandy2000

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I need some guidance. I got RFE where USCIS needs evidence for international recognition? What would be considered a proof of international recognition other than award of fellowships from various countries?

Thanks

Sandy

Sandy2000 said:
Hi All,

I need some guidance. I got RFE where USCIS needs evidence for international recognition? What would be considered a proof of international recognition other than award of fellowships from various countries?

Thanks

Sandy

find an international professor (not in the US) to write you a recommendation letter. in the letter he/she should mention that you are internationally recognized. btw, which center did you file your OR.

zyu said:
find an international professor (not in the US) to write you a recommendation letter. in the letter he/she should mention that you are internationally recognized. btw, which center did you file your OR.

Just a letter from a foreign professor will not be sufficient. You should provide extensive evidences to establish this point.
1) Get letters from several international professors preferably spread over a broad geographical range.
2) show that your work has been cited by the scientists all over the world.
3) show that you have published in international journals, also give details about the journals showing that those are international in nature.
4) show letters of invitations from international conferences

tom2 said:
Just a letter from a foreign professor will not be sufficient. You should provide extensive evidences to establish this point.
1) Get letters from several international professors preferably spread over a broad geographical range.
2) show that your work has been cited by the scientists all over the world.
3) show that you have published in international journals, also give details about the journals showing that those are international in nature.
4) show letters of invitations from international conferences
Thanks Tom. I have published in international journals like Journal of Applied Physics, Chemistry of Materials, Physica Status Solidi etc. I have published in journal published from Germany, UK, Switzerland, US, Holland (Elseiver). What evidence should I furnish for their international circulation?

Sandy2000 said:
Thanks Tom. I have published in international journals like Journal of Applied Physics, Chemistry of Materials, Physica Status Solidi etc. I have published in journal published from Germany, UK, Switzerland, US, Holland (Elseiver). What evidence should I furnish for their international circulation?

Impact factor for these journals is very helpful for your case

Sandy2000 said:
You can find lot of information about this issue from GCFY. In their kits they have described in great detail how to establish that you are recognized internationally. Since you have published in well known international journals like JAP, Physica Status Solidi etc I think you can make a very strong reply. To show the International nature of journal, provide a list of its editors and emphasize that they belong to different countries and geographical regions. For instance for journal of applied physics you can take the printout of following page:http://jap.aip.org/jap/staff.jsp#board highlight the names of editors and their countries.
If you have published any paper in Solid State Communications, you can take the printout of:http://authors.elsevier.com/JournalDetail.html?PubID=230&Precis=DESC. You can do similar things for other journal papers.

You should also write a covering letter for each of your paper. It should read something like:"Physica Status Solidi is an international medium for the publication of current communications on significant developments in condensed matter science, giving scientists immediate access to important, recently completed work. The journal publishes original experimental and theoretical research on the physical and chemical properties of solids and other condensed systems and also on their preparation"

GCFY describes lot of small small things which can make real difference. Don't rely on your attorney fully, no attorney can make a better reply than you can do yourself.

alex2 said:
You can find lot of information about this issue from GCFY. In their kits they have described in great detail how to establish that you are recognized internationally. Since you have published in well known international journals like JAP, Physica Status Solidi etc I think you can make a very strong reply. To show the International nature of journal, provide a list of its editors and emphasize that they belong to different countries and geographical regions. For instance for journal of applied physics you can take the printout of following page:http://jap.aip.org/jap/staff.jsp#board highlight the names of editors and their countries.
If you have published any paper in Solid State Communications, you can take the printout of:http://authors.elsevier.com/JournalDetail.html?PubID=230&Precis=DESC. You can do similar things for other journal papers.

You should also write a covering letter for each of your paper. It should read something like:"Physica Status Solidi is an international medium for the publication of current communications on significant developments in condensed matter science, giving scientists immediate access to important, recently completed work. The journal publishes original experimental and theoretical research on the physical and chemical properties of solids and other condensed systems and also on their preparation"

GCFY describes lot of small small things which can make real difference. Don't rely on your attorney fully, no attorney can make a better reply than you can do yourself.

International editorial boards don't say anything about the international importance of any journal. I hardly don't know any reasonable journal who doesn't claim to have great international editors. The importance of a journal is measured by the impact factor which shows how often paper from this journal are cited by other authors. If you only emphasize on the editorial board for the international recoginitaion of a journal you will most likely fail. As a starting point for impact factors this might help:

http://molbiol.edu.ru/eng/journals/index.html

But you need of course rankings to show how good your journals are in comprison to other journals.
By my personal experience, don't buy this do-it yourself green card kits they are waste of money and doesn't help to much. I have one at home and for example their recommendation letter are just a joke. My advise is to look for a good lawyer (talk with other people to find out who is good or not). It costs more money but your chances of success will increase.

You can get recommandation letters from the experts/profs stating that these journals are internationally recognized. Whatever strong points you have, it should be stated in the recommandation letters. So, you prepare the letters, ask your attorney to do proof-reading if you have an attorney, and send them to the profs.

Would the brochure stating that Chemsitry of Materials is Ranked #1 Journal in Materials Science (based on last 10 years of citation), and APL and JAP are ranked #1 and #2 journal in APplied Physics be helpful. Of course the advertisements by AIP and ACS sites the ISI Essential Science Indicators citation index in the brochures

I found this article quite helpful in preparing my I-140 OR case.

The article suggests to be specific.

"One method of doing so is showing that the beneficiary’s papers have been widely cited by independent researchers in the field. It also helps to have the peer recommendation letters include references to specific papers, their impact, and that they appeared in prestigious journals of international circulation. Citations alone demonstrate “academic honesty,” not an international reputation.[29] As a result, citation searches alone carry little weight. ..."

"We also suggest that references note the impact of an article in subjective terms where appropriate. For example, when mentioning a particular article, the reference could write: “From my travel to international meetings and my professional interactions in our field, I also note that Dr. xx’s article is widely discussed, and have been the basis of numerous research proposals.” Any specific details, such as the article sparking discussion at a particular meeting, should also be included. The practitioner should encourage letter writers to take a bit of extra time to come up with details like this if possible."

Hope it helps and good luck.

zhul said:
One should emphasize about the Impact Factor etc if the journal really stands high in this list. Since I am from the field of Materials Physics/Chemistry background I can tell that JAP, Chemistry of Materials, Physica Status Solidi etc are just average kind of journals and they do not stand high in the list. If somebody has papers in Nature, Science, or even APL then only one should emphasize about this impact factor business. In Sany2000's condition I believe Alex2's suggestions look more reasonable.
As far as the question of whether one should hire an attorney or not, a lot has been discussed in this forum. In EB1 and NIW cases hiring an attorney is a total waste. Still we will have to do all the things. They cost a lot, you can click here to see how much will you have to pay to attorney:
http://qunsoft.50megs.com/immigration/USA/share/fees.html

Surprisingly many chemist here, I am also one. The problem with Alex2 suggestion with the editorial board is that I know of cases where they tried to argue in this way about the international recogintion of the journals and completly failed. The USCIS argued than that of course every journal tries to get as many international editors as possible but that doesn't show that the journal by itself is well know in the scientific communitiy and to be honest I agree with USCIS about this point. In the case sandy2000 journals doesn't have a high impact factor he should try to get very good recommendation letters from well known scientist around the world which don't know him personally. (I, for example, collected about 10 from scientist I never met before). And here I think it is really important that a very experienced immigration lawyer reads the recommendation letters or vene better gives you some suggestion what kind of templates you should send to the professors.
Just one last comment about the impact factor: It is more important to compare of course the impact factor of your journal with other journals which are for a similar topic. Chem. Mater. had a impact factor of 4.37 in 2003 which is enough in comparison to other material science journals to show that this journal is important in the scientific communitiy. You never compare your journals with Nature or Science because they publish for totally different topics.

Sandy2000 said:
Would the brochure stating that Chemsitry of Materials is Ranked #1 Journal in Materials Science (based on last 10 years of citation), and APL and JAP are ranked #1 and #2 journal in APplied Physics be helpful. Of course the advertisements by AIP and ACS sites the ISI Essential Science Indicators citation index in the brochures

Yes, it will definitely be useful. But keep in consideration that USCIS has asked you for evidence of international recognition. They have not raised any objection about your exceptional/outstanding abilities. So keep focussed. Each and every document you submit with your response should point towards this aspect. Just by proving that the journals in which articles are published are high ranked, it can not be eastablished that person has international recognition. I know a case in which USCIS rejected a case saying that "...the definition of Impact Factor is not well defined in law. We have seen cases where journals carry impact factors as high as 50, so an impact factor of 5.6 can not be considered high..."

You should remember that USCIS adjudicators are not scientists like us, they have very little understanding about these things. So prepare your response in a way that even a layman can appreciate that.

alex2 said:
Yes, it will definitely be useful. But keep in consideration that USCIS has asked you for evidence of international recognition. They have not raised any objection about your exceptional/outstanding abilities. So keep focussed. Each and every document you submit with your response should point towards this aspect. Just by proving that the journals in which articles are published are high ranked, it can not be eastablished that person has international recognition. I know a case in which USCIS rejected a case saying that "...the definition of Impact Factor is not well defined in law. We have seen cases where journals carry impact factors as high as 50, so an impact factor of 5.6 can not be considered high..."

You should remember that USCIS adjudicators are not scientists like us, they have very little understanding about these things. So prepare your response in a way that even a layman can appreciate that.

I agree that impact factors and editorial boards and so on are just one point of many. To have a successful case you need to show several different examples of your international recognition. In my opinion the by far most important evidence are several very good written recommendation letter from established scientist in your field which have no direct connection to you. If you can get these letters I think you have very good chances of success

honkman said:
I agree that impact factors and editorial boards and so on are just one point of many. To have a successful case you need to show several different examples of your international recognition. In my opinion the by far most important evidence are several very good written recommendation letter from established scientist in your field which have no direct connection to you. If you can get these letters I think you have very good chances of success

Now I agree with honkman. But from my own experience I would suggest not to hire an attorney. They do absolutely nothing for too much money. Just discuss things in this forum, or atmost if you like, buy a DIY kit. But again all DIY kits are also not equally good. I bought my kit from greencardforyou.com, that is really an excellent resource of information. I got another kit from my friend which is of usaia.org, this one is a bogus one.

alex2 said:
Now I agree with honkman. But from my own experience I would suggest not to hire an attorney. They do absolutely nothing for too much money. Just discuss things in this forum, or atmost if you like, buy a DIY kit. But again all DIY kits are also not equally good. I bought my kit from greencardforyou.com, that is really an excellent resource of information. I got another kit from my friend which is of usaia.org, this one is a bogus one.

I know this discussion about lawyers happens often in this forum but I suggest to Sandy2000 that you should in any case at least ask other people about their experience with immigration lawyers and visit 2-3 to get your own impressions (Good lawyers don't charge for a first visit). My experience is very much the opposite as Alex2. I bought a do-it yourself kit at the beginning (in fact it was the one from greencardforyou.com (this is no offense to Alex2)) and I am still angry that I wasted money for these useless papers. I found the information not helpful (just general blabla but you often need very specific information which you won't find in these kits), the examples for reference letters are badly written. Instead a laywer was very helpful in terms of reference letters, even if he don't know science he still has a lot of experience about those letters and he changed several good letters to make them excellent letters
I suggest Sandy2000 to buy one kit and visit several lawyers and then decide with whom you fell more comfortable.

honkman said:
I know this discussion about lawyers happens often in this forum but I suggest to Sandy2000 that you should in any case at least ask other people about their experience with immigration lawyers and visit 2-3 to get your own impressions iii. .......Instead a laywer was very helpful in terms of reference letters, even if he don't know science he ........changed several good letters to make them excellent letters
I suggest Sandy2000 to buy one kit and visit several lawyers ......
Why are you forcing so much for lawyers? I wonder whether you are one of those, or may be u get some commission from them. so many of our freinds have gotten their green cards by self petitioning but you are continuously insisting to go to lawyer.

honghui said:
Why are you forcing so much for lawyers? I wonder whether you are one of those, or may be u get some commission from them. so many of our freinds have gotten their green cards by self petitioning but you are continuously insisting to go to lawyer.

I am not insisting on a lawyer but simply made a good experience. And If you read the whole thread you will see that I just said that everybody should look for all possibiltities (I said you should buy a kit and visit a lawyer) And honghui, if you critizise me why don't you do the same for Alex2 who is always saying to never go for a lawyer and so giving the impression that lawyers can never help you. Which is as wrong as saying lawyers always help you.

P.S. As written above I am not a lawyer or get any money from them. Would be good, honghui, if you read the whole threat before posting

Last edited by a moderator:
honkman said:
I am not insisting on a lawyer but simply made a good experience. And If you read the whole thread you will see that I just said that everybody should look for all possibiltities (I said you should buy a kit and visit a lawyer) And honghui, if you critizise me why don't you do the same for Alex2 who is always saying to never go for a lawyer and so giving the impression that lawyers can never help you. Which is as wrong as saying lawyers always help you.

P.S. As written above I am not a lawyer or get any money from them. Would be good, honghui, if you read the whole threat before posting

Lawyers take so much money. Why should we pay them? I want to do self petition.

honghui said:
Lawyers take so much money. Why should we pay them? I want to do self petition.

Nobody forces you to take a lawyer. But by looking at your other postings you are even looking for ideas how to write a recommendation letter, therefore it might be a good idea at least to buy a kit and to visit a lawyer and see who can help you more. And a good lawyer for the I-140 costs about $3000 which is a lot of money but considering that you might increase your chance of success it might be worth considering.