Early 90 Day Filing Question

chico74

Registered Users (C)
I got my GC in 10/07 so my 5 year "due date" for naturalization will be here soon in 10/12. I'm considering taking advantage of the 90 day early filing and applying now (7/12). My question regarding the N400 form:

When specifying Residence and Employment "in the last five years" (Section 6) - do I go back 5 years from the date of eligibility for naturalization (i.e. 10/07) or 5 years from the date of the early filing (i.e. 7/07)?

I know the difference between the two options is only 3 months, but if I do not have to disclose residency and employment from before the time I received my GC in 10/07 - I rather not. So, when filing the early form today - should I treat it as if I was filing it on its due date (10/12) and ommit the period of 7/07-10/07, or do I have to actually wait till 10/12 and file only then if I wanted to avoid that reporting?

I hope there's an easy/simple answer to this (whatever that answer is..)

Thanks y'all.

If I were you I would either show my previous residency & employment or delay filing till that falls off the 5 year mark.

I got my GC in 10/07 so my 5 year "due date" for naturalization will be here soon in 10/12. I'm considering taking advantage of the 90 day early filing and applying now (7/12). My question regarding the N400 form:

When specifying Residence and Employment "in the last five years" (Section 6) - do I go back 5 years from the date of eligibility for naturalization (i.e. 10/07) or 5 years from the date of the early filing (i.e. 7/07)?

I know the difference between the two options is only 3 months, but if I do not have to disclose residency and employment from before the time I received my GC in 10/07 - I rather not. So, when filing the early form today - should I treat it as if I was filing it on its due date (10/12) and ommit the period of 7/07-10/07, or do I have to actually wait till 10/12 and file only then if I wanted to avoid that reporting?

Thanks y'all.

Thanks y'all.

What are you trying to hide?

I know the difference between the two options is only 3 months, but if I do not have to disclose residency and employment from before the time I received my GC in 10/07 - I rather not.

Why? Chances are 99.9% that your address and employment during those last 3 months pre-GC are irrelevant. Tell us why you're worried about it, so we can explain why you should not worry about revealing it.

Why? Chances are 99.9% that your address and employment during those last 3 months pre-GC are irrelevant. Tell us why you're worried about it, so we can explain why you should not worry about revealing it.

Well it might just make things more complicated, so if I could avoid it - that'll be better..

My thought: Since it's taking several months from initial filing till the interview date - if I filed now (3 months ahead of time), by the time I get an interview I'll be way into my 5 year GC period. So at the time of interview the 5 year history would be accurate at that time.. But could the IO be so picky to say - well at the time you submitted the form it didn't show full 5 years history (though it is showing it now...).

Did anybody hear anything about something like that??? And if so, what then - can I then on the spot just add the previous 3 months that he wants or am I in trouble...?

Well it might just make things more complicated, so if I could avoid it - that'll be better..

More complicated how? In your imagination? Where you lived or worked before having the GC is rarely of any relevance to naturalization eligibility -- unless it was illegal to live or work at the particular place.

If you did something illegal back then which USCIS doesn't already know about, maybe you should NEVER apply for citizenship. Because you're supposed to disclose all your crimes regardless of when they happened, and they can ask about addresses and employment before what is listed on the N-400.

But if you're going to apply anyway and you're still concerned about listing that old address or employer, just wait and apply on or after your 5-year GC anniversary.

Last edited by a moderator:
You either did something illegal that you are trying to hide OR you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Since you won't state what it is, go pay a lawyer for a consultation.

You either did something illegal that you are trying to hide OR you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Since you won't state what it is, go pay a lawyer for a consultation.

Nothing illegal or anything "exotic" like that for y'all to be concerned about.. Just asking a simple informative question:
When filing during the 90 day window prior to the actual eligibility date - does the 5 year history still pertains to the eligibility date or to the earlier 90 days filing date? If there's any info/discussion/link about that I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Nothing illegal or anything "exotic" like that for y'all to be concerned about.. Just asking a simple informative question:
When filing during the 90 day window prior to the actual eligibility date - does the 5 year history still pertains to the eligibility date or to the earlier 90 days filing date? If there's any info/discussion/link about that I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Nobody said anything about "exotic" except YOU! Go pay a lawyer and discuss it in detail there.

chico74

Here is a simple answer to your question. You have to provide information five years back from the date you signed your N-400. If your information is a few month short, it may be either caught or overlooked by IO during the interview.

chico74

here is a simple answer to your question. You have to provide information five years back from the date you signed your n-400. If your information is a few month short, it may be either caught or overlooked by io during the interview.

ok, makes sense. That's what i thought.. Just wanted to see what others thought or had experience with.. Thanks a lot!!