EAD to SSN Procedure required.

karora1986

Registered Users (C)
using EAD if wife wants to work
does she need to apply for ssn before actually starting the
work or she needs to apply for ssn just after she starts working ?
whats the legal procedure ?

if ssn needs to be applied first what if we couldn't get a job for some time ?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Using EAD if wife wants to work
does she need to apply for ssn before actually starting the
work or she needs to apply for ssn just after she starts working?
What’s the legal procedure?
----- If your wife got EAD then she should go to nearest Social Security office, fill up the form, show her passport, EAD, and apply for SSN before start working, employer needs SSN # but many SSN office may give you a receipt the same day that you have applied SSN and show the letter to Employer, better to start work after she gets SSN # or SSN card by mail
if ssn needs to be applied first what if we couldn't get a job for some time ?
---- Many US Citizens don’t have the job at this time you will be one of them, find job after you have SSN card, I cant help you for the last line in your question

This is from Social Security Administration website:

Do I need to have my number before I start working?
We do not require you to have a Social Security number before you start to work, but the Internal Revenue Service requires employers to report wages using the Social Security number. While you wait for your Social Security number, your employer can use a letter from us stating that you applied for a number.

The URL is:http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10107.html#number

One more question , i already got the ITIN no for my wife ,
now whats the difference between ITIN no and SSN no !!

Both numbers are issued by the U.S. Government. A SSN is given only to someone who is legally permitted to accept employment in the U.S.. Someone who is not eligible for employment in the U.S. may apply for an ITIN.

Hi kakora,

One of my friend applied for SSN last week and to day she got the SS card. She used to have ITIN and she mentioned that they have to mail the copy of SS# and ITIN card to IRS office. With ITIN you cannot work. Period. That's for tax purpose only. With SSN you may work.

One of my friends applied for SSN last week and to day she got the SS card. She used to have ITIN and she mentioned that they have to mail the copy of SS# and ITIN card to IRS office.
----- Correct, send they copy of SSN card and ITIN card to Philadelphia address that address is on ITIN letter that came with ITIN, write to them that you had ITIN #XYZNHJKK and now got SSN# please update the records.
With ITIN you cannot work. Period. That's for tax purpose only. With SSN you may work.

--- Correct, once you get SSN# and you have EAD or other work visa you can start work immediately.
--If you had ITIN in past and got the SSN# you start work and immediately let IRS know that you got SSN # and send letter to them