EAD renewal and gap

Hi! All

I have been in the same situation last year my EAD expired and did'nt get the new one and I too work in a big company.. so I called my HR and told them everything, the next day they called the company immigration lawyer and asked him to talk to me.

After explaining the company immigration lawyer everything the lawyer told me that you can work during this period voluantarily and the company will not pay you any thing.. I told him it is O.K.

Then next day HR called me and told me that they will remove me from the Payroll on the expiring date and will resume my pay when I will get the EAD Card. I remained on the payroll for two weeks and then I got me EAD, gave the HR a copy and start getting the paycheck.

Hello,

I am in the same situation, replied to the EAD RFE (Proof of I-140 Document). Planning to go tomorrow to the local INS office to try for IEAD.

nps123, which office did you go for I-EAD??

And can we go to the other district office for I-EAD??

Thanks,
Joyin55

St.Louis, No- you cant go to district office.
I believe I-EADs are issued all over the country except St.Louis:((.

As I mentioned in other threads, My case has been approved on 6thJune, one week after my OLD EAD expired.

NPS123......... How many days between rfe response received by NSC and EAD renewal approved??

Thanks

There are quite a few approvals on June 6 and Jun 9 from the BCIS website...wonder how frequently the website gets updated. Any approvals JUn 10 or 11?

I am going to try for I-EAD tomorrow, I hope i get I-EAD, the only problem is I have a RFE to which i have responded. And what i read from this forum is that they don't issue I-EAD when there is EAD RFE.

But i read the legal document at the BCIS site and nowhere it says that if you have a RFE you will not be issued I-EAD.

http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/howdoi/permit.htm

It says,

Interim EAD: If BCIS does not approve or deny your EAD application within 90 days (within 30 days for an asylum applicant), you may request an interim EAD document.

Any Comments?

Thanks,
Joyin555

Joyin555,
I read that the 90 day count starts afresh after an RFE too, please check again with gurus like jaxen...

Here is a snippet from
http://www.immigration.com/newsletter1/interimeadhandling.html

"Employment-based EADs are issued if the application has been pending at the Service Center for more than 90 days, but if an RFE has been issued on the I-765 from the service center, the 90 days start again. "

which local INS are you planning to go to? what service center?

Thanks

Hi ,

CricFan, Yes I read that but it was only for SALT LAKE CITY, UT.

JAXEN, Could you please throw some more light on the 90 day RFE rule.

NPS123......... How many days between rfe response received by NSC and EAD renewal approved??

Thanks,
Joyin555

I too am in a similar situation.My EAD expired on June 3rd. After a gap of 3 days the BCIS online case status says my EAD renewal application was approved on June 7.
Now what should I do about the 3 days gap.
Is the new EAD is valid from the date of approval
Will the new card have the same date (June 7) on it.

PL advise.
Thankyou.

Hi shsa,
You have mentioned that after getting your renewed EAD card you could be on payrole. Is it from the date of approval or only on receipt of card.
Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

replies to all qs in this thread

sorry had not seen this thread growing.
Here are my opinions (and some facts)
hsubbu: Are you eligible for 245(k)?

nps123 : Try in a district office or sub office. District offices have to issue an interim EAD. For example Miami district office will issue interim EAD if it is 91st day from RD, even if there is a RFE.
Yes you can go to another office- preferably the district office of your state or your nearest state if it is nearer from your place.
But I see that your EAD has been approved after all.

joyin: No they will take the photograph. Go to the state's district office. Most of them issue Ieads

gummy: Date of approval. But the HR needs something, you can give the online printout too. In case the start date in card is later they can always adjust it later.

Hi,

I had been to the Baltimore District Office for Interim EAD, they took the 765 form and told me that they would send a letter in mail. Not sure what does that mean but she told it could take a month.
Also, she looked at the status which says a RFE has been issused but did not utter a word about it.

Thanks & Regards,
Joyin55

I have a gap of 1 day between my EAD cards. My current card is valid till July 12, 2003 and the new one is valid from July 14, 2003. They skipped July 13 which incidentally is a Sunday. Wonder what was going through the issuer's mind. Anyway, the question is, do I go off the payroll for that single day.

I talked to an IIO (via the 1 800 number) and she said that I do not have to go off the payroll. She said that I would have had to go off the payroll only if the gap is in months and not a few days. A very vague answer without exact numbers but she stuck to her guns and she was over polite. So, I couldn't argue much with her.

Any suggestions on what has to be done?

Folks,

It looks like i'm going to have a few days/weeks gap with my EADs.

I live in Atlanta.

1. Do they issue interim EADs in Atlanta after 90 days?

2. Does anyone have the location/address of the BCIS office in Atlanta?

Looks like I'm going to need to go off the payroll for the transition period, based on the comments here :( :(

EAD Renewal

My current EAD expires 06/24 and I have received an appt. from Chicago BCIS for renewal on 06/25. Does anyone know what the implications are? Do I need to go off payroll, will this become an issue at the GC interview?? Please reply ASAP

Your help is much appreciated......

I have applied at NSC for renewal of my EAD that is due to expire on Jun 28, 2003. RD and ND are Mar 14, 2003 but I have not heard anything back from them. Planning to go for I-EAD at Chicago District office. What is the procedure? Is it walk-in or has to be scheduled? What all documents I need to carry with me? Do we have to pay any fee for I-EAD when it is already pending and fee is paid to NSC? Please reply. Thanks

ATLDesi spend some time in immigration.gov and the I485 FAQ section

Joyin: I thought that Baltimore does not issue IEad- period. Why did you go there?

rsonthi: Those CSRs dont know anything. The IIOs were better, these people cannot even access all your details or file. However a day should not become a big issue is also my opinion.

dfagen: You are going to be fine, if you patiently explain the interim EAD can be predated too. If they issue the iEAD on 25th then its validity starts from 25th and there is no gap:)

hari367: Also check out I485 FAQ about interim EAD.

Hi Jaxen,

can please check this out
http://www.immigration.com/faq/ead.html

it says in there" No. Once you filed for AOS there are no additional penalties that attached if you fail to maintain lawfull status by letting your nonimmigrant status expire, or accepting unauthorized employment. Your employer, however, can be penalized for employing with out permission". Can you please ask Mr. Khanna to clarify?

I also found this at http://www.immigration.gov/lpBin/lp...ates&fn=document-frame.htm#slb-8cfrsec274a12.

(9) An alien who has filed an application for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident pursuant to part 245 of this chapter. Except as provided in § § 245.13(j) and 245.15(n) of this chapter, employment authorization shall be granted in increments not exceeding one year during the period the application is pending (including any period when an administrative appeal or judicial review is pending) and shall expire on a specified date. For purposes of section 245(c)(8) of the Act, an alien will not be deemed to be an "unauthorized alien" as defined in section 274A(h)(3) of the Act while his or her properly filed Form I-485 application is pending final adjudication, if the alien has otherwise obtained permission from the Service pursuant to 8 CFR 274a.12 to engage in employment, or if the alien had been granted employment authorization prior to the filing of the adjustment application and such authorization does not expire during the pendency of the adjustment application. Upon meeting these conditions, the adjustment applicant need not file an application for employment authorization to continue employment during the period described in the preceding sentence; (Amended 7/23/97; 62 FR 39417) (Amended effective 6/22/98; 63 FR 27823) (Amended effective 6/11/99; 64 FR 25756) (Amended 3/24/00; 65 FR 15835)

245(c) 1/ Other than an alien having an approved petition for classification under subparagraph (A)(iii), (A)(iv),(A)(v), (A)(vi), (B)(ii), (B)(iii), or (B)(iv) of section 204(a)(1), subsection (a) shall not be applicable to (1) an alien crewman; (2) 1/ subject to subsection (k), an alien (other than an immediate relative as defined in section 201(b) or a special immigrant described in section 101(a)(27)(H), (I), (J), or (K)) who hereafter continues in or accepts unauthorized employment prior to filing an application for adjustment of status or who is in unlawful immigration status on the date of filing the application for adjustment of status or who has failed (other than through no fault of his own or for technical reasons) to maintain continuously a lawful status since entry into the United States; (3) any alien admitted in transit without visa under section 212(d)(4)(C); (4) an alien (other than an immediate relative as defined in section 201(b)) who was admitted as a nonimmigrant visitor without a visa under section 212(l) or section 217; (5) an alien who was admitted as a nonimmigrant described in section 101(a)(15)(S); (6) an alien who is deportable under section 237(a)(4)(B); 1a/ (7) 2/ any alien who seeks adjustment of status to that of an immigrant under section 203(b) and is not in a lawful nonimmigrant status; or (8) any alien who was employed while the alien was an unauthorized alien, as defined in section 274A(h)(3), or who has otherwise violated the terms of a nonimmigrant visa.

274A (h)(3) Definition of unauthorized alien.-As used in this section, the term "unauthorized alien" means, with respect to the employment of an alien at a particular time, that the alien is not at that time either (A) an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or (B) authorized to be so employed by this Act or by the Attorney General.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: