EAD question

EAD and H1 extension

Hi all

I am planing to extend my H1 visa while I am holding a valid EAD because H1 is easier to travel outside of US while I485 is pending. Is there anyone here who has extended his/her H1 while holding EAD? Please advise..

Regards,
:confused:

Krishna,

Which local INS office did you went. And do you know if the local office issue I-EAD if the EAD has been applied more than 90 days but has a RFE.

wwossen

I applied for my H1 extension while I had EAD last year but I was maintaining my H1 at that time. You can not apply for H1 extension if you have used your EAD.

Dear

My H1b will expire on sep 2003. I am trying to ask for extension for another 3 incase my I485 process delayed. do you think this work..My ND is 03/2002 for I485 and I never used my EAD for work.

wwossen

You can apply for H1 extension assuming that you are working for the same company which sponsored your green card petitions. You can apply for H1 extension for another 3 years provided that your total H1 does not exceed for more than 6 years.

Dear

Thanks

Yes I am working for the same company and this is the first extension.Does it matter if I have a valid EAD and H1 as the sametime? I only need this extension for travel out of US say to Canada with out advance parole.

Yes you can have both an H1 and an EAD. I did for a couple of months until my H1 expired; EAD is still valid. If you use your EAD to work however, you loose your H1 status, so it may be best to use EAD as just a backup unless you have no other choice.

An AP is needed if you are working on an EAD or if your passprt's visa stamp has expired and you don't want to get it renwed abroad (there is a procedure for renewing it by mail in the US, but I'm not sure of the details). If you have an unexpired visa in your passport and your status is H1, you don't need AP to travel abroad.

rgd,
sadiq

wwossen

You can have valid H1 and EAD at the same time. Inorder to travel outside the country you must have new H1 visa stamped on your passport. You can get your H1 visa in your home counrty or by sending the papers to state department here in USA. In the current situation it might be risky to get H1 visa abroad so I will suggest you to get stamping here in USA.

Dear

Thanks for your advice.

I am Canadian and it is easy to get stamp across the border.
Who knows I might get lucky and get my I485 approved before asking for H1 extension.
My ND for I485 is 03/2002.

Thanks again

Guys,
I went to the INS in Cleveland, OH. I dont know about what happens if there is an RFE on your case. Per their instruction, I have sent a mail appln for Interim EAD.
I am planning to contact them Friday and will keep you guys posted, as to what happens.

- Krishna

EAD got approved.

RD: end of march.
approved: 6/16/03

10 days off without payment with vacation.

waiting for my GC. Thanks.

Congrats!!!

Congrats!!! NSC-User...

I am still waiting for my EAD approval...

Krishna....Did you get your EAD yet???

Mahesh,
No news on the EAD at NSC.. but I did get an interim EAD today and I am back at work. They gave it to me for 8 months and also back dated it to before the date of expiry of the old EAD.

Regards,
Krishna

Krishna...

Congrats!!! Krishna.

I am happy for you. I am planning to go to local INS over this weekend. If you get a chance please let me know what documents I need take with me.

Thanks
Mahesh.

Mahesh,
Take everything you file for a normal EAD. Take copies with you, but have the originals on hand. Give them the first packet for the appln, and other stuff only if they ask for it, lest they get confused.

Good luck.

Regards,
Krishna

Here’s what I took when I got my interim EAD:

1. Passport with I94
2. Expired EAD (which they kept)
3. I485 Receipt Notice – original
4. I765 Receipt Notice – original
5. Letter from current employer stating current employment and salary

Rgds,
sadiq