EAD or H1

rblms

Registered Users (C)
My H1 is expiring in jan,2004. My 485 was filed in april,2002. till now i have not filed my ead and was maintaining my h1 status. now since my h1 is about to expire, can you guys please suggest me that what should i do i.e. i should apply for EAD or H1 extension. Please advise me on this. Thanks a lot.

My H1 is expiring in Jan 2004. My 485 were filed in April 2002. Till now I have not filed my ead and was maintaining my h1 status. Now since my h1 is about to expire, can you guys please suggest me that what should I do i.e. I should apply for EAD or H1 extension. Please advise me on this. Thanks a lot.
------ File H1 extension now if you want to be on H1 status or want to use AC21 in future. One can file H1 extension 6 months advance if employer says use EAD inform him that at this time no need to send $1000 as training fees to BCIS for H1 extension (they may again increase the fees better file it now) At the same time file EAD, having EAD and using EAD is different matter, having EAD has advantage that if you are laid off you can join other employer on EAD immediately. If I am in your situation I will ask company lawyer to file for H1 extension and will file my EAD on my own with form I-765 to save the lawyer fees for EAD filing.

Thanks ginnu.

My lawyer won't take his own fees. he will only charge the bcis fee but he says that he will file only one thing, i.e either EAD or H1 becoz of company policy. what is AC21 ?

Thanks again.

File for H1 extension through Lawyer. EAD you can file directly any time it is easy to fill up the Form I-765 for EAD, for EAD you need 2 photographs, I-485 filing receipt and if you have I-140 filing or I-140 approval.
AC21 is that you can change the employer if your I-485 is pending more than 180 days and your I-140 is approved and you get the same /similar job with other employer. You can read more about AC21 August MEMO search the threads that is related to AC21, you will find many postings