EAD Automatically Extended after 90 days.

jackAug

I have seen some where that if the EAD extension is not approved after 90 days, then it will be automatically extended for 240 days or until a decision is made. Is it true ???

Called Interim EAD. You have to go to a INS district office to get one and it is generally given for 240 days (instead of 1 year)

Hi -
I am in the similar situation. My 90 days after filing of EAD will be next week. I am planning to apply for interim EAD. I am not certain if the I EAD will be back to back with my first expiring EAD or not.

I will appreciate any response.

Yes Back to back

If it is already expired , It is issued effective from the day you show up for iead.

If it is expiring in future , it will be extended from the day after expiry - back to back.

To apply for iead, should have been 90 days past the date filed

- per my attorney.

Thanks Gopal!

If that is what is going to happen than I do have possibility of a gap between expiring EAD and IEAD. What practical problem can it create considering that I was working and getting paid by employer for the gap period. Can it cause any trouble if I have to travel abroad with such IEAD with me.

I would appreciate any response on the issue.

Thanks again,

No travel trouble... but you would have worked without authorization. At the time of stamping this might be notices and your approved 485 revoked.
It is better to be off the payrolls during that period..

Could you recommend any way-out of this situation. It was an oversight from my side not to apply 100 days in advance.

Thanks.

I appreciate comments from Jaxen and found something supplemental. While reviewing faq on this website I came across with a question which I am posting below that sounds like giving benefit of doubt / confusion to employee. Hope this will let visitor of this site to have more info and also I am expecting someone to share their knowledge and experience further on the implications of having gap between first and second EAD's.

Thanks in Advance, ................

Q: Do I have to get an EAD if I file for adjustment of status?
A: No. Once you have filed for adjustment of status, there are no additional penalties that attach if you fail to maintain lawful status by letting your nonimmigrant status expire, or accepting unauthorized employment. Your employer, however, can be penalized for employing you without permission.