EAD/AP (paper based) cover letter and checklist...

Hi,

I applied for I-140/485 at CSC and transferred to TSC. Do you know where I have to send my application for AP ( 131) now.

Thanks

Any guru's around, Can you please answer my question. If we file I140 first and before it is approved if I file I1485 (once dates become current) and I765, How long does it take to get the EAD. Is it requried that I140 be approved before issued EAD incase of seperate (non- concurrent I140 and I485) filings.

Thanks much in advance.

EAD & AP filing fee

joyd,
max2k1,

The filing fees for EAD & AP in the links below is $ 180 & $170 respectively. Where did you get the amounts $185 & 175?

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-131.htm
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-765.htm

Also I see lot of enclusures in your sample letter below which are not required as per the link above. Any reason or past experience to send these?

Please respond, I am going to send my application today.

Thanks

joyd said:
Modify as needed, this worked for me. Got approval in 35 days :)

Cover letters for filing paper based EAD renewal and AP together in same envelope, but each app separated by it’s own cover letter:

Main cover letter

EAD cover letter for primary applicant
Documents for EAD renewal for primary applicant

EAD cover letter for secondary applicant
Documents for EAD renewal for secondary applicant

AP cover letter for primary applicant
Documents for AP for primary applicant

AP cover letter for secondary applicant
Documents for AP for secondary applicant

Note: AP checks were favoured to “US Department of Homeland Security, EAD checks were favoured to “Immigration and Naturalization Service” and write the “A” number in the memo section.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Current as of Aug 3, 2004>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<MAIN COVER LETTER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Month dd, yyyy

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

RE: Renewal Application for Employment Authorization Document and Advance Parole - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

Please find the applications for Employment Authorization and Advance Parole Travel document for myself <primary applicant> and my wife <secondary applicant>. Our adjustment of status (I-485) is pending at USCIS since <date>, and I am the primary applicant.

Please approve the above mentioned applications. If you have any questions or need additional information concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you in advance for your kind attention and cooperation in this matter.

Very truly yours,

<PRIMARY APPLICANT>
<Address>
Tel: <phone>

<<<<<<COVER LETTER FOR EAD RENEWAL OF PRIMARY APPLICANT >>>>>>>>>>>

Month dd, yyyy

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street

RE: Renewal Application for Employment Authorization Document for <primary applicant> - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

We herewith file the above captioned matter together with the following:

<primary applicant>
• Check in the amount of $175 for the filing fee;
• Form I-765 with two photographs;
• Copy of I-485 filing receipt notice;
• Copy of I-140 approval notice;
• Copy of front and back of I-94 arrival/departure card and latest H1B approval notice;
• Copy of front/back of last EAD and previous EAD mailer;
• Color Copy of driver’s license;
• Color copy of passport’s biographic page;
• Copy of Birth certificate.

Please approve the above mentioned application. If you have any questions or need additional information concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you in advance for your kind attention and cooperation in this matter.

Very truly yours,

<PRIMARY APPLICANT>
<Address>

------------------------------------------------------
<<<<<<COVER LETTER FOR EAD RENEWAL OF SECONDARY APPLICANT >>>>>>>>>>>
Month dd, yyyy

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street

RE: Renewal Application for Employment Authorization Document for <Secondary Applicant> - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

<secondary applicant>
• Check in the amount of $175 for the filing fee;
• Form I-765 with two photographs;
• Copy of front and back of I-94 arrival/departure card and latest H1B approval notice;
• Copy of front/back of last EAD and previous EAD mailer;
• Copy of Marriage certificate;
• Copy of Birth certificate;
• Color copy of driver’s license;
• Color copy of passport’s biographic page.

Please approve the above mentioned application. If you have any questions or need additional information concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you in advance for your kind attention and cooperation in this matter.

Very truly yours,

<SECONDARY APPLICANT>
<Address>

------------------------------------------
<<<<<<COVER LETTER FOR ADVANCE PAROLE OF PRIMARY APPLICANT >>>>>>>>>>>

Month dd, yyyy

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street

RE: Application for Advance Parole Travel document for <primary applicant> - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

<primary applicant>
• Check in the amount of $165 for the filing fee;
• Form I-131 with two photographs;
• Part 7 supplemental information;
• Copy of last approved Advance Parole document;
• Color copy of passport’s biographic page;
• Copy of Birth certificate.

Very truly yours,

<PRIMARY APPLICANT>
<Address>

----------------------------------------------------------
<<<<<<COVER LETTER FOR ADVANCE PAROLE OF SECONDARY APPLICANT >>>>>>>>>>>
Month dd, yyyy

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street

RE: Application for Advance Parole Travel document for <secondary applicant> - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

<secondary applicant>
• Check in the amount of $165 for the filing fee;
• Form I-131 with two photographs;
• Part 7 supplemental information;
• Copy of last approved Advance Parole document;
• Copy of Marriage certificate;
• Copy of Birth certificate;
• Color copy of passport’s biographic page.

Very truly yours,

<SECONDARY APPLICANT>
<Address>

--------------------------------------------------------------
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Supplemental info for AP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Modify as needed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<applicant> <Alien number> Form I-131 Part 7 Supplement

Dear Sir/Madam:

My current H-1B expires on <date> and my I-485 application for adjustment of status is pending with USCIS per application <EAC number>. I wish to use Employment Authorization Document to legally work from <date> onwards. Based on the above facts, I believe I qualify for Advance Parole.

I have been previously issued Advance Parole per application <EAC number>, which expires on <date>.

I am planning to travel for a month to India to visit my elderly parents and siblings during <month, year> and again later in <next year>. Please approve my application for Advance Parole for multiple trips.

If you have any questions or need additional information concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you in advance for your kind attention and cooperation in this matter.

Very truly yours,

<APPLICANT>
<Address>
Tel: <tel>

I just got my AP checks for $170 cleared today. Unless they had changed in the last 2 days it was $170 for AP.

painfulgc05 said:
joyd,
max2k1,

The filing fees for EAD & AP in the links below is $ 180 & $170 respectively. Where did you get the amounts $185 & 175?

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-131.htm
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-765.htm

Also I see lot of enclusures in your sample letter below which are not required as per the link above. Any reason or past experience to send these?

Please respond, I am going to send my application today.

Thanks

Copy of EAD Mailer?

Hello,

I am planning to renew my EAD. I got my first EAD and the next EAD renewal through my lawyer. This time I am planning to do on my own.

I see in the prior posts there was a mention of "EAD Mailer", what is this? Can any one tell me please.

Thanks

'EAD Mailer' is the mailed letter in which you got your previous EAD. This is not EAD. The letter that came along with your previous EAD.

Ragz.

ukpettai said:
Hello,

I am planning to renew my EAD. I got my first EAD and the next EAD renewal through my lawyer. This time I am planning to do on my own.

I see in the prior posts there was a mention of "EAD Mailer", what is this? Can any one tell me please.

Thanks

Address Changing

Ragz,

Got it thanks. I have one more question. I am planning to renew my EAD now and I think now a days it takes more than 2 months for receiveing the physical card. I have a problem, I have to move to different apartment by end of August.

If the address changes when the EAD arrives, will the USPS forward the card/letter to the new address? Should I give a friends/office address?

I appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks

ukpettai said:
Ragz,

Got it thanks. I have one more question. I am planning to renew my EAD now and I think now a days it takes more than 2 months for receiveing the physical card. I have a problem, I have to move to different apartment by end of August.

If the address changes when the EAD arrives, will the USPS forward the card/letter to the new address? Should I give a friends/office address?

I appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks

It does not take 2 months these days. Actually its pretty fast, like 2 weeks

neo

ukpettai said:
neo,

Thanks, that is good to know. Did you apply recently for renewal?

Exactamundo! I just did 2 months back, 10 months back and 18 months back.
All came in exactly 2 weeks.

neo

Pretty fast

It took three weeks for me to get the EAD approval from the applied date.( but to my suprise the processing dates in VERMONT as shown in the website as of July 11th they are processing EAD applications for pending status 485 applications is March 26th 2006.)

Hope the same happens for the 485 approval.

Thanks,
Guru.

Attorney Please help: Where to File

We want to apply ED for my wife. Her 485 is filed with TSC. She filed concurretly with me based on my employment. From what I read in instructions, we have to file it to TSC> However, talking to USCIS, I was told to file it as Chicago. The lady I talked to did not seem to know much. She took 1 hour (Yes...its right) and keep coming back with Chicago address and tell me that she is c-9 categoy. I pointed the note about the family based are the only ones that file in Chicago, but she could not clarify. Can someone help us?

We want to file for her EAD asap.

Thanks a lot.

Concurrent Filing (I140 & I785 (EAD))

My Labor just approved,

My question is..
Can i Concurrent Filing (I140 & I785 (EAD)) ?. I need to have my EAD ASAP. What are the possible way to make it faster ?. What is the processing time as per the current status ?

Thanks

gc_pain_ca said:
My Labor just approved,

My question is..
Can i Concurrent Filing (I140 & I785 (EAD)) ?. I need to have my EAD ASAP. What are the possible way to make it faster ?. What is the processing time as per the current status ?

Thanks

You can file I-140 and I-485 together. Concurrent filing, and with I-485, you can file for I-765(EAD) and I131(Adance Parole). But to file I-485, your priority date should be current or passed the date shown on Visa Bulletin page. Otherwise, you won't be able to file I-485 for now, atleast till your priority dates become current or in other words 'Visa Numbers' becomes available for your priority date.

I-765 and I131 can only be filled if you are either filling I-485 or its already pending.

Can you provide more details, like labor PD, country and category (eb3/2/1)?, that way it would be easy to point out if you can or cannot file I-485.

km30907 said:
We want to apply ED for my wife. Her 485 is filed with TSC. She filed concurretly with me based on my employment. From what I read in instructions, we have to file it to TSC> However, talking to USCIS, I was told to file it as Chicago. The lady I talked to did not seem to know much. She took 1 hour (Yes...its right) and keep coming back with Chicago address and tell me that she is c-9 categoy. I pointed the note about the family based are the only ones that file in Chicago, but she could not clarify. Can someone help us?

We want to file for her EAD asap.

Thanks a lot.

Not sure if you got your answer, if not, please check latest breaking news at http://www.immigration-law.com/

It appears that people are still confused about the filing jurisdiction for EB-485 applications. They include two groups. Group I is those whose I-140 petitions are still pending at CSC or VSC or TSC. Group II is those who have just received I-140 approval notices from CSC or VSC or TSC. Effective July 24, 2006, regardless of where their pending or approved I-140 petitions are located, they should file the stand-alone I-485 applications with NSC. Accordingly, you filed your stand alone I-140 petition at CSC or TSC or VSC and while the I-140 petition still pending, your visa number becomes available and you want to file I-485 application for yourself and your family members, you should file the I-485 applications not with the Service Center where your I-140 petition is pending but with Nebraska Service Center. Please make it sure that you attach a copy of the pending I-140 Receipt Notice. Additionally, if your I-140 petition has been pending at CSC or TSC or VSC and receive the I-140 approval notices from these Service Centers and you want to file I-485 applications as your visa numbers are available, you file the stand alone I-485 applications for yourself and your family members not with TSC nor CSC nor VSC, but with NSC attaching the approved -140 approval notice. Just remember that all the employment-based I-485 applications should be filed with NSC regardless of where your files are located.

Filing of stand alone EAD or Advance Parole new applications or renewal applications while I-485 applications are still pending is not affected by the centralization of I-485 applications. These stand alone EAD or Advance Parole applications should still follow the jurisdictions of the pending I-485 applications. For instance, if your I-485 application has been pending at CSC, you still have to file EAD or Advance Parole applications with the CSC and not with the NSC. EAD or Advance Parole applications should always be filed with the Service Center where their I-485 applications are pending

Please Help

My lawyer filed my I-140/I-485/EAD together to NSC on 8/25/06, I got receipt on 9/5/06 from TSC. Now I like to file AP myself, which service center should I mail to? should I mail it with certified mail service or ship it with FedEx? I hope every thigh will be done by tomorrow. So please help.

hi everyone

I am new to this board. (labor just cleared last week, PD 07/04 RIR.EB2). I have several questions about EAD application for my wife.

1. is that necessary to apply through lawyer?
2. just my wife needs EAD, I don't need it, do I need to apply for both or just my wife?
3. she has an very old EAD (in 2002, when she just graduated and get EAD for OPT, that one has expired in 2003). in this case, it is "permission to accept employment" or "renewal of my permission to acept employment).
4. at line 10, alien registration number (A#), can she use the old one(the one has expired)?
5 for line 16. what kind of categeroy does she belong to?

Thank you very much!

dansworth said:
I am new to this board. (labor just cleared last week, PD 07/04 RIR.EB2). I have several questions about EAD application for my wife.

1. is that necessary to apply through lawyer?
2. just my wife needs EAD, I don't need it, do I need to apply for both or just my wife?
3. she has an very old EAD (in 2002, when she just graduated and get EAD for OPT, that one has expired in 2003). in this case, it is "permission to accept employment" or "renewal of my permission to acept employment).
4. at line 10, alien registration number (A#), can she use the old one(the one has expired)?
5 for line 16. what kind of categeroy does she belong to?

Thank you very much!

1. No U do not need to go through your lwayer. You can efile or paper file your ead.
2.Just for your wife.
3. I do not get your question.
4. I would use the A# on the I-485 receipt notice.
5. Need more information to answer that

I applied for AP for myself and my wife together electronically.
I received an receipt notice for myself in 2 weeks. It has been around 4 weeks and I have not recieved a notice for my wife.
Is there any way that I can find out whether the receipt notice is send or not?
where can i enquire about this with USCIS.

Thanks

EAD for spouse

I am in the process of e-filing EAD for my wife. Our 485 were filed sometime back. She is on H-4 and we have AP approved but never used for travel. Is this correct to fill in following :

14 : Manner of last entry
H4

15. Current Immigration Status
H4

16. Eligibility under 8 CFR 274a.1.2
(274a.12) (c) (9)

Your answers are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance