EAD and Social Security Card

T ghar

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

I was on H1 and My wife was on h4. Now both of us filed 485 and now we have EAD. But we don\'t have a valid h visa anymore.

Do you think, SS people would accept my wife application for SS based on EAD? will they accept the receipt? What are the documents we need to take to apply for SS?

Any info would be big help!
Tere

Have a question.

My wife is also on H4 and we both got EAD. I am still working on H1 Visa. Is it safe if my wife gets her SSN? She is not working any where.
Thanks

No Title

My wife and myself are in the same situation. YES, your wife can get a SSN by showing her passport and EAD card. My wife too does not work.

Did you apply SSN only on EAD or on EAD and 485 approval??

I have heard that it takes upto 60 dates in Boston area with only the EAD (without 485 approval).

No Title

Yes, We were told to go the next day for the number. We wend in after a couple of days and got the number. They said that we will receive the SSN card in about 2 weeks.

H-4 EAD Card. Social security card change

I got mine and wife EAD card. She has a social security card which states that "NOT calid for work" as she was on H-4 (In illinois you can get a social security card). Now if she wants to work, does she have to change her social card to state that she can work or is EAD good enough.

60-- 90 days for SSN.

My wife got her EAD on 12/24 and on 12/26 we went to the Social Security OFfice to get her an SSN. However, they said that since 9/11 INS wants to verify all cases before a social security number can be granted. So it will take 60 - 90 days for that.
Is anyone in a similar situation. We are in the Boston area. WE applied in teh Lowell Social security office. Is it quicker if I apply elsewhere? I would appreciate your response.
Thanks in advance.

My case...

My wife received her EAD card on Dec 13 (walk-in to Boston INS) and applied SSN in Waltham (we live in Waltham) in the afternoon. She was told that she should receive her card in 5 to 10 business days. Until today (Dec 27), she still hasn\'t received the card yet. Unfortunately, her company would not put her on payroll if she didn\'t get the card/number. So, she went back to the SSA office and the officer gave her the SS number. In fact, he told her that the card has been mailed on Dec 14. He has no idea why she didn\'t get the card yet. But he asked my wife to wait for another 2 more weeks. If she has not received the card next month, she can report to the SSA office and they will reissue a card for her.

on the same loop

We applied for SSN just few days before 9/11 and still waiting. We applied again after thanks giving. Answer from SSN office is always same. They are waiting for verification from INS. As if VSC has time to respond : (

SSN for my wife

same thing happened with my wife\'s SSN. We went with her EAD card and the SSA folks told us that they have to verify with INS. They said that when they typed her A# in their database they did\'nt see that she was "employment authorized". She said the verification itself would take 8 weeks.

on the same loop

We applied for SSN just few days before 9/11 and still waiting. We applied again after thanks giving. Answer from SSN office is always same. They are waiting for verification from INS. As if VSC has time to respond : (