• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2021 Selectees From Ghana

First one:

So this is how it went. The interview was at 9am so I got there a little to 8. By 8:00 a security man came to call those who would be attending interviews at 8 and 8:30. So I stood under the trees waiting for my appointed time. By 8:50 the security man had not come for us so I walked to them. I was asked to present my passport and interview appointment. I showed them to them and was allowed entry. At the first room, they asked me to put all my documents on a tray and be screened. After the screening they realised that there was a CD in one of my envelopes i.e., the xray results of my medicals. They asked me to take it back so I went and put it in my bag which I had left with the security outside. I came back and they directed me to a door. I went there and the receptionist asked me to sort my documents: original and photocopy of passports, births cert, police report, wassce and university degrees. I had two police reports so I put the two there and she put one aside saying it has expired. After the sorting she gave me a form to fill and asked me to go and pay the money at the cashier from there I should go to the far end counter 13. So I did that; went to pay 1980 and went to sit at the waiting area. I asked Sammy if he had gone to counter 13 and he said yes. So I went there. The woman took my fingerprints, checked my documents, checked a few things on the computer and entered some things. She asked where is my son and I said he is not going with me now. She said your son resembles you oooo and I said yes he's my son.
So she took the documents and asked me to sit down. I sat for about 20-30 minutes then my name was called to counter 7. Over there the CO greeted me and I responded. She asked how I was doing and I said I was doing great. She asked me to swear that all the information provided is true and that whatever I will say there is also true so I swore to that effect. She asked me where is my son and I said he is not going with me now and that he will join me later. She asked if I intend to let him join me before 30th September and I said no. It will be later on, maybe two or three years and she said OK when I'm ready I can let him join me. She asked where I got my degree and I answered. She asked the course I studied and I answered. She asked where the University is and I answered. She asked how many years I used for degree and said four so she said OK, that means it's a bachelor's degree? She said whilst confirming from the cert. Note on the cert, it is Tamale but the campus is Wa so I told her. She asked the distance from Kumasi to the school, I answered about 7 hours and asked then Wa would be farer and I said yes. She asked the number of people in our class and I said about 400. As she was asking all these questions she was typing. She asked me to spell Wa for her and I did. She took my employment letter and asked me about the work I do. I responded I'm the administrator of a hospital. She asked what I do as an admin and I answered. Before then she had asked me about the sector I would like to work in in the States and I said health/medical sector. She asked me where I would be staying and I answered NY. She asked if I knew someone there and I said my mother is there. She said Ohkk. How long has she been there and I six or seven years. I quickly added she is my mother's sister. She said ohk so she is your aunt and I said yes. She raised my degree cert and made a quick dash to the corner as if trying to verify something. She came back in a few seconds time. Note I had laminated my degree. She requested my previous passport and I gave it to her. She scanned it plus my new one and gave me the old passport and the original documents leaving my current passport with her. She said she had received my medicals and everything was OK. She told me it looks as if I qualify for diversity visa so she is approving it for me. I should make sure to go before the visa expires. She gave a dhl form and showed me how to get my passport and visa. She congratulated me and I thanked her. That was my experience today family. Good luck to you all.

Second one:

Good afternoon family. Please I hope this is my experience today at the US embassy Ghana. I was scheduled at 8am but got there at 7:30am. I was allowed in at exactly 8am. At the security check point, you're not allowed to go in with your bag, phone, coins, CD. So I had to leave them with the police officers at the embassy entrance. The 2nl and your passport will be checked at the security point before allowed in.
After the security checks, you're allowed inside ( please remember all covid protocols are observed before entry) Right after entry there's a Ghanaian lady who will give you an invoice with the fee you will pay for the DV($330 or it's cedi equivalent of 1980 cedis) after this, she will take the documents. Passport ( both old and new if you entered with an old passport which has expired but have now renewed it), birth certificate and photocopy, Police report ( it's good you have it renewed if the old one has expired) shs and university certificate with photocopies(no transcripts taken but you can still take it along, ds 260 confirmation page, if you're married please take along your marriage certificate and photocopy, the two American size passport pics, pics of you and your spouse, kids ( if any) together as a family, birth certificates of you all tho I'm single but I heard her asking someone and any other relevant documents with photocopies.
After the collection of the documents you're asked to go pay the visa fee at the cashier ( please make sure you're name is spelled correctly on the receipt after the payment.
Now I was directed to counter 13 but it was occupied so the security asked me to move to counter 11. I did and a lady took my passport having the above mentioned documents which were placed at the front page of the passport by the first lady who took the documents( *in my case of been single, the documents were my shs and university certificate with photocopies, the police report ( with no copy), ds 260 confirmation page then to my surprise this lady at counter 11 asked of my employment appointment letter ( so please get it ready in case you're asked* ) Your finger print will be taken at this point. I was directed to sit and that I would be called for the actual Interview.
Sat for about an hour and a half and a half and I realized that about three DV winners who came to meet me inside had all gone thru all this process and had been Interviewed and gotten approved. So I was really praying and asking myself that why I'm I been the second dv winner to be in still sitting and was praying so fervently and asking God that please he should help so there's no problem with my case cos I didn't understand the delay.
Finally I was called to counter 7 and that was the interview. The white female consular officer was so nice and she told me that they're sorry for the delay and that they had some system errors and she appreciate my patience. I said no problem Madam.
Then the interview started
1. Where do you work?
2. What's your job about and what do you do there?
3. Are you married? No please
4. You have kid's? No madam
5. Why do you want to live in New Hampshire ( my state on my ds 260)
I answered that because I've read about the state and have interest there
6. Have you traveled before?
I answered no
7. Do you have a criminal record? No.
8. Tell me about your education
I told her about my years of entry and completion of shs and university ( she was checking the certificate to see if the dates where true)
Finally she asked of my old passport cos I entered the lottery with my old passport but now had renewed it and used it to fill my ds 260 so she was comparing both passports. After this she told me, I have your medicals and everything is okay( it's advisable to do the medicals early) I've approved your visa and gave me back the originals of the documents they took and my receipt plus the visa approval ticket to contact dhl for collection.
It's all God who took me thru family, Glory to his name. Thanks so much to you all for your support and prayers. It's my prayer and best of wishes that everyone gets scheduled and gets approved too.
All the best family.

Here is my experience. I didn't keep long. I remembered entering around 8AM . it has taken me 10 to 15 mn with the lady who takes documents to arrange them because I changed my host address on my medical exam form. My host has moved to another location but same Maryland
After that I sat just for 10mn then the CEO called my name at counter 8.

CEO: Good morning
Me good morning Madam

CEO can you pronounce your first name
Me I did( very complicated local name my parents given me)

Ceo: how long have been in Ghana
Me 9 years

CEO what brought u here
Me the crisis but I decided to stay later on

CEO when was the last time u went back home
Me last year
CEO where do you want to live in USA
Me Maryland

Ceo Where did you travel a part from Ghana
Me Dubai, Morocco and Tanzania(Zanzibar)

CEO for vacation?
Me yes

She checked once again my documents then asked me to pronounce my University name. Université Felix Houphouet-boigny. Aaaah the name seems familiar to me.

Me it's the name of our former president.
CEO right

CEO are married
Me no

CEO your visa has been approved. Stamp all over the documents. Then gave me the DHL form and also took me through it.

It seems long but trust me it has happened less than 5mn. I was thinking much when I was giving her the answers. All are on my d-260.
I translated all my documents. I came out of the embassy exactly at 8:50am.
After that I don't know how I got home. I'm still dreaming. After 9 years struggling in Ghana. After nine years in Ghana, I finally made it today.
Thank you to each of u.

Here is my experience. I didn't keep long. I remembered entering around 8AM . it has taken me 10 to 15 mn with the lady who takes documents to arrange them because I changed my host address on my medical exam form. My host has moved to another location but same Maryland
After that I sat just for 10mn then the CEO called my name at counter 8.

CEO: Good morning
Me good morning Madam

CEO can you pronounce your first name
Me I did( very complicated local name my parents given me)

Ceo: how long have been in Ghana
Me 9 years

CEO what brought u here
Me the crisis but I decided to stay later on

CEO when was the last time u went back home
Me last year
CEO where do you want to live in USA
Me Maryland

Ceo Where did you travel a part from Ghana
Me Dubai, Morocco and Tanzania(Zanzibar)

CEO for vacation?
Me yes

She checked once again my documents then asked me to pronounce my University name. Université Felix Houphouet-boigny. Aaaah the name seems familiar to me.

Me it's the name of our former president.
CEO right

CEO are married
Me no

CEO your visa has been approved. Stamp all over the documents. Then gave me the DHL form and also took me through it.

It seems long but trust me it has happened less than 5mn. I was thinking much when I was giving her the answers. All are on my d-260.
I translated all my documents. I came out of the embassy exactly at 8:50am.
After that I don't know how I got home. I'm still dreaming. After 9 years struggling in Ghana. After nine years in Ghana, I finally made it today.
Thank you to each of u.
Apparently this person is not a Ghanaian wow good luck to her but can u share her case number

I got inside around 8:45am although my time was 8;30am. The embassy delayed in letting us in on the appointed time.
I did submit documents: *birth cert. (photocopy + original, police cert.(original only), WASSCE cert. (original + copy), employment/appointment letter (even though I didn't add it on the DS-260) university degree (original + copy), DS-260 confirmation page, passport*

*I was told by the 1st receptionist to get another passport picture because what I had didn't meet the standard of the embassy. I quickly went to have it* The picture delayed me unduly & tension was quite building up for the 1st time @ the embassy.
Payment of the $330.⁰⁰ was done & I was made to WAIT @ the WAITING AREA.
I sat for close to an hour as I was praying & watching the repeating & nonstop COVID-19 advertisement while listening to other interviews especially WINDOW 8 because I was very close & I could hear everything like I had an earpiece.
I was finally called to WINDOW 8, exactly where I wished because she was friendly and sweet in human relations.

*_...the interview started..._*

CO: Good morning
Me: Good morning Ma'am
CO: She smiled and said, you're nearly hitting our roof. She told me to take off my mask. She then asked me to step down/off the elevated step if I'd be comfortable, I did so.
She asked further that I raise my right hand up & swear. I did swear right away.
CO: What's your date of birth?
Me: I answered
CO: Where do you stay?
Me: BEKWAI in the ASHANTI region
CO: Which university did you attend?
Me: UEW
CO: how many years did you spend in your university?
Me: 4 years
CO: What do you currently do?
Me: I do teach
CO: which level of school do you teach?
Me: senior high school
CO: which level do you teach in your school?
Me: first years, form ones.
CO: wow, that's great! were you teaching during the pandemic?
Me: no please, school went on break in March 2020. I started teaching in October 2020.
CO: were you teaching in person or online tuition?
Me: in person please
CO: oh great, even in the pandemic...wow
CO: what do you teach?
Me: Social Studies
CO: Government or geography?
Me: specifically, Social Studies
CO: nice.
*I felt that she was quite confused or something but we move*
CO: do you stay on campus?
Me: I stay in the same town where the school is located but not on campus
CO: where did you do your national service?
Me: Wesley High School: the high school I attended.
CO: wow, awesome. That's great service. You went to high school there, graduated from the university and served there. Good.

*NB: She _intermittently_ types on her PC. I tried reading her words anytime that she does but she was faster than I could grasp any meaningful thing*

CO: Are you married?
Me: no please
CO: Do you have any kids?
CO: Have you ever traveled outside Ghana?
CO: Have you ever been to the military?
CO: would you like to go to the military when you to the US?
Me: well, I would if it's possible
CO: Would you want to teach in the US?
Me: yes, I have the passion for it.
CO: Michael, *"everything looks ok, I'm approving your Visa for you"*
Me: thank you, I'm grateful.
CO: Email DHL & make arrangement with them to receive your passport & visa. She highlighted DHL's email on a piece of paper & wrote my CN on a designated place on the same paper. She then said "HAVE A GOOD DAY".
I was filled with joy, I thought that I was close. I then cast my mind unto the planes that were flying above us before our interview.

I pray for such a great experiences for us all...thank you all.
IT MAY SEEM LIKE A LENGTHY INTERVIEW BUT IT WAS A SHORT FRIENDLY CONVERSATION.

I heard this month’s interview is for emergencies only but dv lottery interviews start from August

Hello guys, please do I have the chance to be interviewed ? my case no. is 12*** and I have not gotten the 2NL yet. Kindoff worried!