• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2021 Passport Requirements Guidance

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
I’m creating and pinning this thread for the purpose of letting those who are thinking of different ways of gaming the system (with regards to the new passport information requirement), and hoping to get away with it, that adequate preparation is already being put in place to address those in case such a person gets selected.

12. Why do I need a passport to enter the DV program? Are there any exceptions?
Requiring a valid, unexpired passport adds security to the DV process and helps protect your entry. The rule does not apply to children or spouses of the principal entrant. The passport must be valid for international travel. Internal passports, issued by some countries, are not valid for DV entry purposes. The only exceptions are if you are stateless, a national of a Communist-controlled country and unable to obtain a passport from the government of the Communist-controlled country, or the beneficiary of an individual waiver approved by the Secretary of Homeland Security and the Secretary of State, consistent with the passport waivers for immigrant visa applicants provided for in 22 CFR 42.2(d), (e), and (g)(2)

13. What if my passport expires or I lose it before I apply for a visa?
If your passport number changes for any reason, you will have to provide evidence of why it has changed to KCC before they will schedule your DV interview. If you entered a false, inaccurate, or invalid passport number on your DV entry, your case will be disqualified or your DV application refused. We suggest you make a legible photocopy of the passport you use for the entry and store it in a secure location with your entry confirmation number (FAQ #27). A photocopy alone is not proof you entered a valid passport number on your entry, but it can help you explain the situation. The final determination is up to the Consular Officer at the time of your DV interview.

DV2021 Instructions for additional reference

So for anyone hoping to get away with using fake passport information and singing a sob story about loosing that passport after being selected, you will have a tough time getting away with that.

Hi. I am from Venezuela and in my country there is a limbo and an enormous difficulty in obtaining the Venezuelan passport due to the immense crisis that exists in my country. Today I applied for DV-2021 but I still have not been able to obtain my new passport and I have tried to obtain it, but I am in the process of doing so. When applying the registration of DV-2021 I could not provide passport information and I have placed "national of communist-government country and unable to obtain a passport". In case of being selected by DV-2021 and if I someday get the passport in my country, can I proof the situation in the interview? or can I get disqualified? Thank you

Hi. I am from Venezuela and in my country there is a limbo and an enormous difficulty in obtaining the Venezuelan passport due to the immense crisis that exists in my country. Today I applied for DV-2021 but I still have not been able to obtain my new passport and I have tried to obtain it, but I am in the process of doing so. When applying the registration of DV-2021 I could not provide passport information and I have placed "national of communist-government country and unable to obtain a passport". In case of being selected by DV-2021 and if I someday get the passport in my country, can I proof the situation in the interview? or can I get disqualified? Thank you

Well, you took the "convenient" option because you cannot get a passport. We cannot be certain whether that will cause disqualification or not (if you are selected). This is the first year this requirement has been in place.

Yep, I agree with Simon’s assessment of you taking the “convenient” option. If selected, based on this, KCC will need to be convinced as to the genuineness of this claim before scheduling an interview.

In addition, the CO who will be very familiar with situations in such countries will make the final call on whether that was indeed the case and subsequently approve your selection, or outrightly disqualify you by denying your petition. So it’s going to be a game of “wait and see”.

Yep, I agree with Simon’s assessment of you taking the “convenient” option. If selected, based on this, KCC will need to be convinced as to the genuineness of this claim before scheduling an interview.

Thanks to both for the answer. Is there any way to contact KCC and proof the "convenient" option before scheduling an interview? As me, there's lots of connationals with similar issues related to the expiration/renovation/obtaining of passports

Thanks to both for the answer. Is there any way to contact KCC and proof the "convenient" option before scheduling an interview? As me, there's lots of connationals with similar issues related to the expiration/renovation/obtaining of passports

Wait and get selected first. When (strike that) if you get selected, you can begin to explore what your options are.

Well, you took the "convenient" option because you cannot get a passport. We cannot be certain whether that will cause disqualification or not (if you are selected). This is the first year this requirement has been in place.
The trick about Venezuela is that there is in fact a statement from the State Department that says our passports are recognized as valid for 5 years past their expiration date: "The United States recognizes this extension of passport validity for visa issuance and other consular purposes. Customs and Border Patrol will likewise recognize the passports covered by this decree."
You can check the link here:
https://www.state.gov/the-united-states-supports-extension-of-validity-for-venezuelan-passports/

So I think in this case we (Venezuelans) should just input the expiration date +5 years to enter the data.

Wait and get selected first. When (strike that) if you get selected, you can begin to explore what your options are.

You're right. I'll do that. Thanks!

The trick about Venezuela is that there is in fact a statement from the State Department that says our passports are recognized as valid for 5 years past their expiration date: "The United States recognizes this extension of passport validity for visa issuance and other consular purposes. Customs and Border Patrol will likewise recognize the passports covered by this decree."
You can check the link here:

So I think in this case we (Venezuelans) should just input the expiration date +5 years to enter the data.

Yes, That's true. But in my case, I don't even have an expired passport, because I lost it a few months ago and I'm in the process of getting a new one. (I DELETED THE LINK FROM THE QUOTE, OTHERWISE CAN'T REPLY IT, SORRY)

Dear Mom,
I am filling up the DV lottery 2021 again. I have two US born children. My question is:
1. In DV entry, should I mention 0 or 2 in the children information?
2. If I say 2, it leads me to the second page where I need to fill up the information of children and provide their photographs. Is it required to include them as they will not immigrate with me?
Thanks
Prasin

Dear Mom,
I am filling up the DV lottery 2021 again. I have two US born children. My question is:
2. If I say 2, it leads me to the second page where I need to fill up the information of children and provide their photographs. Is it required to include them as they will not immigrate with me?
Thanks
Prasin

1. You’ll be fine if you List 0 here.
2. However if your list 2, you wouldn’t be penalized for doing so either. You’ll just have to provide their photos and info, even though they’re not migrating since they’re already USC. You will not be able to submit your form if their information isn’t included, if you decide on the option of listing them.

Dear Mom,
Thanks
Prasin

And better luck this time around.

Hi, I have a pass port but it is expired does it mean I have to renew it before applying for dv 2021?

Hi, I have a pass port but it is expired does it mean I have to renew it before applying for dv 2021?
Yes, read the instructions. There it says:
"NEW FOR DV-2021: The passport number, country of issuance, and expiration date for the principal entrant’s valid, unexpired international travel passport. This requirement applies to the principal entrant only, not to dependents. You must enter valid international travel passport information unless you are stateless, a national of a Communist-controlled country and unable to obtain a passport from the government of the Communist-controlled country, or the beneficiary of an individual waiver approved by the Secretary of Homeland Security and the Secretary of State."

Asking for a friend
"my passport expires next year April and I want to know if that will be a problem when am selected or so I have to obtain a new one before I enter the lottery"?

your passport needs to be valid at the time of entry, if you renew your passport after that you should take both with you to your interview (that is IF you get selected)

Hi, I am from Venezuela and I have my passport expired and it is difficult renew, But I have Peruvian nationality my question is. How should I register in DV 2021 Because I native from Venezuela but my father is native of Peru, I have Peruvian passport but I don't have Venezuelan so I have to put the county where I was born “Venezuela” and the information of passport of Peru or that is no okay.
How should I register? thanks.

Hi, I am from Venezuela and I have my passport expired and it is difficult renew, But I have Peruvian nationality my question is. How should I register in DV 2021 Because I native from Venezuela but my father is native of Peru, I have Peruvian passport but I don't have Venezuelan so I have to put the county where I was born “Venezuela” and the information of passport of Peru or that is no okay.
How should I register? thanks.

By “native from Venezuela” I guess you mean your birth country is Venezuela, right? If yes, put Venezuela as birth birth and chargeability country. Use your Peruvian passport information.

Hello to everyone, I am from Ecuador, when I try to put my PASSPORT NUMBER at the field of the form, It does not work. My Passport Number has ten numbers but the form only admit nine numbers. Please, what can I do?