• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2019 AND Medi-Cal

YUTA NAKANO

Hi,
We are Japanese married couple and won the lottery.

Medi-Cal is free or low-cost health coverage for children and adults with limited income and resources.

We are thinking to have a baby but if I use Medi-Cal , would it be difficult get Greebcard?? since it shows we don't have much money.

Please advise.
Thank-you

Under current policies, past or future use of non-cash benefits like Medicaid (California's Medicaid is called Medi-Cal), WIC, etc. cannot be considered when determining whether one is likely to become a "public charge".

There are some leaked potential proposals from the Trump administration to change the policies on what can be considered to include things like Medicaid, but nothing has been officially announced or published yet, so we don't know if they are for real, and the text of the proposal specifically says it does not apply to benefits obtained before the effective date of the policy, so you wouldn't have to worry about such a change until it happens.

For DV, you do need to show that you guys have enough assets or get an I-134 from someone (the I-134 is not legally binding, so it doesn't affect the person who signed it).