• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2007 CP only

Hi Anahit,
my brother called Ministry of Education and yes, it is possible to take an exams and get the high school diploma in Yerevan! This must be done during the months of May and June only. Tomorrow my brother will call embassy to ask if they will allow to schedule another interview once he'll get his school diploma.
I am hoping for their positive answer...

thank you for your help.
Anna

Glad to hear that. Hope it works out for him.

Glad to hear that. Hope it works out for him.

Thank you.
My brother called the Embassy and they told him that since he does not have a 'denial letter' he must speak w/Consul who will make a decision as to invite or not for another interview.
Tomorrow morning he will be calling to speak w/Consul.
I hope.....

Thank you all for support.

Thank you.
My brother called the Embassy and they told him that since he does not have a 'denial letter' he must speak w/Consul who will make a decision as to invite or not for another interview.
Tomorrow morning he will be calling to speak w/Consul.
I hope.....

Thank you all for support.

Great. I am sure he wouldn't mind another interview.
Btw, my sister's family is finally arriving Sunday. It took them 2 months to finish all the paperwork after the interview. I can't wait... :)

Btw, my sister's family is finally arriving Sunday. It took them 2 months to finish all the paperwork after the interview. I can't wait... :)

Anahit,

Congratulations!!! I am very happy for you and your sister's family... I can't describe that in words!!! I wish them to have a safe flight and safe landing to US.

-Anna

I live in Glendale.

Great! I love LA area because it's warmer than in SF ;-)
We have relatives there and visit them at least twice a year and my
kids participate in the Navasartian Games during summer.

My brother called the Embassy and was told that they have several cases still in open status (just like my brother's) because all of primary applicants do not have a high school diploma and also the embassy aware of the policy that any person can now obtain the diploma thru the exams.
So- Consul is looking into those cases and it will take 2 weeks to make a final decision as to consider those applicants or not.
We are not loosing our hope...

-Anna

Great! I love LA area because it's warmer than in SF ;-)
We have relatives there and visit them at least twice a year and my
kids participate in the Navasartian Games during summer.

My brother called the Embassy and was told that they have several cases still in open status (just like my brother's) because all of primary applicants do not have a high school diploma and also the embassy aware of the policy that any person can now obtain the diploma thru the exams.
So- Consul is looking into those cases and it will take 2 weeks to make a final decision as to consider those applicants or not.
We are not loosing our hope...

-Anna

You shouldn't...
Now your brother needs to start studying for the exam. He can't fail it! ;)

DV-2007 Interview in London

A request was made for a more detailed account of our interview at the US embassy in London. Here goes.

All immigration medicals are performed by Knightsbridge Doctors. We had our immigration medical done nearly two weeks before the interview to be on the safe side. The examination itself was uneventful. For more information, see http://www.visamedicals.info/.

Our interview took place in the first week or so of January 2007 at 8:00 AM in the morning. We took the tube and arrived about 25 minutes early. We had to show our passports and appointment letter to the security detail outside the building and had to go through an airport-style security screening before we were allowed to enter. Once inside, we were given a ticket and told to wait for our number. Since we arrived first among the immigrant visa applicants (non-immigrant visa applicants are in a separate queue), it wasn't too long before we were called up.

A person behind the window took our paper work and was quite friendly. Judging from his accent, he appeared to be a British employee whose job it was to pre-process our applications. It looked as if they hadn't processed the packet they received from KCC until this moment. We were photographed and fingerprinted. Things seemed to go great.

The embassy was supposed to obtain a police certificate from a third country for me through the US consulate there. I had already obtained the UK police certificate myself; I couldn't for the third country because of procedures specific to that country. Due to some oversight this wasn't done and the process would take approximately 4-8 weeks. Needless to say, we were quite disappointed. However, we were told we could return to the US using our advance parole documents (for a pending employment-based AOS case at the USCIS).

We were then told to pay the fees and wait until called again. We waited about 45 minutes before we were called again. This time, the person behind the window appeared to be a US employee. He was quite friendly too. My wife and I had to take an oath affirming the information on the applications was correct and had to sign our respective forms. My son didn't have to take the oath since he's only 12. He confirmed that our applications would be delayed due to the outstanding police certificate. He then said he had to ask his supervisor something. When he came back, he said I had to go through administrative processing because my first and last names were very common and matches were found in their database. This could take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months or longer. Fortunately, he confirmed we could return to the US with our advance parole documents and wait there. He gave us a blue form indicating that our visa application was suspended under section 221(g) due to missing documents (the police certificate). There was no mention of administrative processing on the form though.

We were also told that we would have to return to the UK to get the visas put in our passports once notified, though we wouldn't have to appear at the embassy since the passports could be picked up by their courier service from any address in the UK mainland. He also told us to send them an e-mail now and again to keep the case alive.

I contacted them last week and was told they had received the police certificate but were still waiting for clearance from Washington.

London Cp

A request was made for a more detailed account of our interview at the US embassy in London. Here goes.

All immigration medicals are performed by Knightsbridge Doctors. We had our immigration medical done nearly two weeks before the interview to be on the safe side. The examination itself was uneventful. For more information, see http://www.visamedicals.info/.

Our interview took place in the first week or so of January 2007 at 8:00 AM in the morning. We took the tube and arrived about 25 minutes early. We had to show our passports and appointment letter to the security detail outside the building and had to go through an airport-style security screening before we were allowed to enter. Once inside, we were given a ticket and told to wait for our number. Since we arrived first among the immigrant visa applicants (non-immigrant visa applicants are in a separate queue), it wasn't too long before we were called up.

A person behind the window took our paper work and was quite friendly. Judging from his accent, he appeared to be a British employee whose job it was to pre-process our applications. It looked as if they hadn't processed the packet they received from KCC until this moment. We were photographed and fingerprinted. Things seemed to go great.

The embassy was supposed to obtain a police certificate from a third country for me through the US consulate there. I had already obtained the UK police certificate myself; I couldn't for the third country because of procedures specific to that country. Due to some oversight this wasn't done and the process would take approximately 4-8 weeks. Needless to say, we were quite disappointed. However, we were told we could return to the US using our advance parole documents (for a pending employment-based AOS case at the USCIS).

We were then told to pay the fees and wait until called again. We waited about 45 minutes before we were called again. This time, the person behind the window appeared to be a US employee. He was quite friendly too. My wife and I had to take an oath affirming the information on the applications was correct and had to sign our respective forms. My son didn't have to take the oath since he's only 12. He confirmed that our applications would be delayed due to the outstanding police certificate. He then said he had to ask his supervisor something. When he came back, he said I had to go through administrative processing because my first and last names were very common and matches were found in their database. This could take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months or longer. Fortunately, he confirmed we could return to the US with our advance parole documents and wait there. He gave us a blue form indicating that our visa application was suspended under section 221(g) due to missing documents (the police certificate). There was no mention of administrative processing on the form though.

We were also told that we would have to return to the UK to get the visas put in our passports once notified, though we wouldn't have to appear at the embassy since the passports could be picked up by their courier service from any address in the UK mainland. He also told us to send them an e-mail now and again to keep the case alive.

I contacted them last week and was told they had received the police certificate but were still waiting for clearance from Washington.

bahadur007
Thanks for detailing your experience here. I would need to ask you a couple of relevant questions here though: You mentioned that you were able to travel back to the US using a parole. Did you apply for the parole prior to departing the US, or did the embassy issue one to you after thay found that it was their fault that they hadn't applied for your clearance?
If it turned out that you obtained a parole from the US prior to departing for London, how did you go about applying for that since it appears you didn't opt for AOS? Many thanks for your anticipated reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd Package

There have been many references to 2nd package. But no one has taken trouble to discuss its contents. Does the 2nd package contain an interview appointment and all the medical forms? My assumption is that respective embassies are responsible for sending appointment letters and medical forms. Can someone please confirm who is responsible for sending what between KCC and respective embassies?

If one switches from AOS to CP, would he/she require a parole? I understand that paroles are voluntarily associated with AOS cases. However they cannot be unitarily applied for. Can someone please explain any connection (if at all one exists) between parole and CP?

LiveForum,

Our advance parole documents have nothing to do with the DV-2007 case. We originally entered the US on H1/H4 visas. My employer subsequently sponsored me for permanent residence (see signature for details) and we eventually applied for AOS. Our advance parole documents relate to this case. If you have a pending AOS case or going to apply for AOS, you can apply for advance parole yourself. Sometimes they are also referred to as travel documents. They are only valid for a year though, so you need to apply for one every year.

When we applied for DV-2007 and were selected, we were already in the US. Since my employment-based case was and is currently stuck in "priority date hell", we were obviously quite happy since there is nothing stopping you from pursuing two different cases in parallel, that is, the employment-based case and the DV-2007 case. For the DV-2007 case, we decided not to go through AOS, because CP is generally speaking quicker and traveling abroad was not an issue for us. We just made sure we had valid advance parole documents from our employment-based case in case any issue arose.

2nd Package

We received our 2nd package from KCC, not the embassy. It contained the appointment letter and information about procedures for the embassy including the medical. However, in our case, the information was 2-3 years out of date and the procedures for the medical were no longer correct for the embassy in London. I eventually learned the correct procedures from the internet:

http://www.goldsteinvisa.com/london-visa.html
http://www.usvisalawyers.co.uk/whatsnew.htm

Several weeks after I learned the correct procedures, I received a letter from the embassy itself with the updated procedures!

We received our 2nd package from KCC, not the embassy. It contained the appointment letter and information about procedures for the embassy including the medical. However, in our case, the information was 2-3 years out of date and the procedures for the medical were no longer correct for the embassy in London. I eventually learned the correct procedures from the internet:

http://www.goldsteinvisa.com/london-visa.html
http://www.usvisalawyers.co.uk/whatsnew.htm

Several weeks after I learned the correct procedures, I received a letter from the embassy itself with the updated procedures!

bahadur007,
Thanks for documenting your London experience. I find your information directly relevant.

Hi Anahit

Congratulations to you and your sister's family, I wish them all the best in this country.

The registration wasn't working for this forum past 3-4 days, but I finally registered and can ask you some questions.

If you don't mind would you describe in more details their Yerevan's interview.

I'm helping my aunt who's interview is coming very soon.

It's clear about Affidavit of Support, but there are some other questions.

About police certificates... Do they require police certificates in addition to the certificate from the Foreign Affairs Ministry?

Hi everyone!
A week ago, when my sister called the embassy, they told her to take all the documents to the embassy. So, she did. And, all the documents were reviewed before the interview. At the interview my sister was just asked to confirm that the information was correct on the forms. Then they were all fingerprinted, except the young kids. And, that's all. They will get their stamped passports in a week (I don't know why it takes that long).

Is there any specific reason, that you can tell here, why they would call her to the embassy before interview?

The only thing I asked (thru e-mail) to the Embassy in Yerevan was about translations of foreign documents. They confirmed that they would follow the USCIS rules, and accept the translations without notarization.

Did the accept unnotarized translations?

BTW, my father failed from the first time last year in Tbilisi because of that. they gave him a week and he had to come back to Yerevan and notarize all the translations.

Hi Anahit

Congratulations to you and your sister's family, I wish them all the best in this country.
If you don't mind would you describe in more details their Yerevan's interview.
Hi, Avagyan.
I am glad to see another armenian in this forum. :)
Thank you for your kind wishes.
There is nothing to add to their interview description that you quoted here.
I'm helping my aunt who's interview is coming very soon.
Congratulations!!!
About police certificates... Do they require police certificates in addition to the certificate from the Foreign Affairs Ministry?
I don't know what she got from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but she needs a police certificate from her local police station.
Is there any specific reason, that you can tell here, why they would call her to the embassy before interview?
No. My understanding was that they just wanted to check their documents before the interview.
Did they accept unnotarized translations?
Yes, they did. All the translations were certified by me.
BTW, my father failed from the first time last year in Tbilisi because of that. they gave him a week and he had to come back to Yerevan and notarize all the translations.
Were his translations certified?

Anahit, thanks for your response.
Hi, Avagyan.
I don't know what she got from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but she needs a police certificate from her local police station.
No. My understanding was that they just wanted to check their documents before the interview.

The Ministry of Foreign Affair's letter is very important document. If I remember, it indicates whether the person had convictions before and whether the person is not under the criminal investigation. I guess it's pooling out records from both juridical and internal affairs/police databases. It takes, if I remember correctly, 14 days to get this official document which also contains English translation.
It's not always easy to get any certificates from police station's. They are telling that the only certificate needed "for America" is the MIA certificate. I've managed to get from Police for myself and other people too, but that was for embassy in Moscow and Tbilisi. There is an opinion that for Embassy in Yerevan you don't need certificates from local police stations, like in other countries, since Embassy is aware of difficulty to get it. Can you ask your sister if they got certificate from police or she is referring that MIA certificate as Police certificate, because in Armenian both papers referred as "Չ՛դատվածության թուղթ" :)

Yes, they did. All the translations were certified by me.
Were his translations certified?
Some of them were certified by translator, meaning there were a note at the bottom, saying that translation was made "at best of my knowledge", etc. Could be because the original documents were not in Embassy’s native Georgian language but were in Russian.

If you can share the information, how did your sister’s family dealt with the “Ovir’s” issue?

Thanks.

Hi,
My sister's family arrived to LA last Sunday. I took 3 days off to help them settled. You can imagine how busy I was... :)
Avagyan, I will talk to her and then get back to you about police certificates.
Some of them were certified by translator, meaning there were a note at the bottom, saying that translation was made "at best of my knowledge", etc. Could be because the original documents were not in Embassy’s native Georgian language but were in Russian.
I don't think so. What I think happened was that they weren't aware of the fact that foreign documents do not require notarization. That's all.
If you can share the information, how did your sister’s family dealt with the “Ovir’s” issue?
Of course. But I rather do it in PM, maybe later tonight.

Anahit,

You mentioned that the post interview for your sister was quite tough, what did you mean by post interview administrative processing?

Thanx

Bahadur,

What is a court certificate? Forgive my ignorance.