Dv-winner Health insurance?

newacct

I read that in 2019 there will no longer be tax-penalties if you don't keep a qualifying health insurance.
That sounds good, but it's odd: they canceled tax-penalties, but continue to treat health insurance as mandatory. This raises questions:
  1. Even after scrapping tax-penalties, will it nonetheless be considered a crime if you don't keep qualifying health insurance (any repercussion for not staying on the "clear" side of the law)?
  2. Or is it now clear that there's no risk to immigration status by foregoing "qualifying" insurance?
  3. If so, I'd rather continue foreign insurance with US coverage until employer insurance kicks in. Would that be possible without risking any kind of violations?
Does anyone have a clear idea or information about the scenario for 2019 and the implications for not keeping qualifying insurance? Thanks.
Health insurance was never "mandatory" for anyone (immigrant or not). Anyone was always free to choose not have health insurance and pay the additional tax (some call it a penalty) if it applies. That's always been perfectly legal, perfectly legitimate, and has never been looked down upon by the government.

Reg1

Health insurance was never "mandatory" for anyone (immigrant or not). Anyone was always free to choose not have health insurance and pay the additional tax (some call it a penalty) if it applies. That's always been perfectly legal, perfectly legitimate, and has never been looked down upon by the government.
Thanks, that's good news.

SusieQQQ

Thanks, that's good news.
Well “good”
Make sure you know what your foreign insurance covers for new immigrants
Many newcomers to the US are shocked at what the bills for something like an accident can end up being, or even for a trip to ER.

Hi, I'm trying to get my head around health insurance. I will be remaining on a permanent basis from my first trip so the visitors coverage plans won't cover me. I don't have a job yet so I absolutely need my own insurance. All the plans I can find for inbound immigrants won't provide coverage for more than 130k which seems very low! Will I be eligible to apply for an Obamacare program from the date I arrive?

newacct

Hi, I'm trying to get my head around health insurance. I will be remaining on a permanent basis from my first trip so the visitors coverage plans won't cover me. I don't have a job yet so I absolutely need my own insurance. All the plans I can find for inbound immigrants won't provide coverage for more than 130k which seems very low! Will I be eligible to apply for an Obamacare program from the date I arrive?
Yes, you can buy a health insurance plan from your state's Obamacare marketplace when you arrive.