• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV lottery winners who are married meet here

DV LOTTERY Experience

Case number 2011AS00039xxx

Both of us applied the Lottery in 2009 but did not receive 1NL.
Check on July 1st 2010 and my wife won (we were not married yet) and i did not.
Submitted the form DS 122 and DS 230 to KCC

Exchanged emails with KCC but still did not know any case number.

I actually did not even know how this Lottery works and had given up hope thinking that it was a scam and also because we were not sure how to even proceed. This was until March 2011 when I wanted to study in US but was put on hold again as I was not able to work and stay there at the same time with any type of visa.

I found this forum upon searching and I spent night and days reading on the procedures and actually though I still have a chance in this lottery
I ask my wife to email KCC and ask about her case number and current date.
Finally she got the case number but realise it was too high at 39K+.

I initially planned that I will study and she will meet me there after she gets her greencard and we will get married thereafter but until I came across some threads with experience of married couples saying that I will not be able to get the greencard until 5 years later.
I have been with her for 4 years and we have spoke about marrying since the early days of our relationship. As such, we decided to get married in April this year. After our marriage ceremony. we emailed KCC my ds230 form and marriage cert. They replied and say that will be in for processing.

From the month April to June I was always worried about the visa bulletin. Praying to god hoping I will be current in July and hope not in September which I was afraid it will be too late. Then come June 9th , when I came across a middle east forum and some 1 posted the current for Asia is 39750 and my number was very close to that ending number. I called KCC to confirm and they did.
I ask my wife to called them the next few day and check when will our interview be schedule and they told me to call back on the 19th but by 15th I already call them and they told me my interview date was Aug 10 and my Interview Letter has been mailed out.
I waited for the letter and it arrive on July 1st. The letter came and I was worried as it did not have my name in it. We went for the medical but they did not allow me to do it as my name was not on the letter. My wife did her medical on July 4th. She called the embassy after that and the embassy finally instructed the clinic to let me do my medical. We did our police cert, finance statement, marriage photos and of the ceremony itself, as well as past emails, travel histories, msn logs and letters in preparation for the interview.

We then email the US embassy in Singapore to check if they have receive my DS 230 but they requested that I submit the original so we both went down to the embassy.
On the day of interview, we went about 1.5 hrs ahead at 8am and there was already a queue outside the embassy. We queued for an hour before entering the embassy. We then took a queue number and it was our turn immediately. My wife was asked first to check her documents then me. After finishing, the CO, which was a nice guy, asked us to pay at the cashier and come back at 130pm. This time we reached early and were first in the queue and was called straight after taking the queue number. A young female CO called us to the counter. I was so nervous that I had to stand away from the counter so that I wont be seeing the CO directly.

First question she asked was: I have seen that you have recently married.
Why do you intend to get married and where did you meet. Ans
Do you have any photographs. I brought almost 5kg of photo which was so heavy. Showed her the pictures.
Then she said she forgot and made us swear and take the oath.
She asked us what we intend to do in USA since there is a finance crisis now. Ans
We updated our address on the original form.
I was so happy that I was not asked any question. She then told my wife to come back and collect our visas in 5 days time. She forgot to take our thumbprint and the guy at the counter which collected our documents called up my wife after we have already left the embassy to return to take our thumbprint.

We went back today to collect our visa and it took less than 1min.

Feel free to ask me any questions since I got most of the help from this forum and would like to write back in return for the help given.

Our dream has finally come true after 10 years. I am 24 this year my wife is 23. This is the 1st time she applied for the lottery.

DV LOTTERY Experience

Our dream has finally come true after 10 years. I am 24 this year my wife is 23. This is the 1st time she applied for the lottery.

Phuture,

I just want to say a BIG congratulations for you and your wife for obtaining your Visa (& very soon your Green cards). Thank you very much for sharing your story. Clearly, the MOST High GOD was with you all the way, even when it seemed as though you would face hurdles, The ALMIGHTY GOD put you through. Wow, this is a really great turn of events and I wish you and your wife the very best in your future plans.

Once again Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experiences.

This goes to show that with GOD anything is possible.

Be BLESSED my friends.

May we all have a smooth, GOD guided and successful ride in all our DV pursuits. Amen.

DV LOTTERY Experience

Case number 2011AS00039xxx

Both of us applied the Lottery in 2009 but did not receive 1NL.
Check on July 1st 2010 and my wife won (we were not married yet) and i did not.
Submitted the form DS 122 and DS 230 to KCC

Exchanged emails with KCC but still did not know any case number.

I actually did not even know how this Lottery works and had given up hope thinking that it was a scam and also because we were not sure how to even proceed. This was until March 2011 when I wanted to study in US but was put on hold again as I was not able to work and stay there at the same time with any type of visa.

I found this forum upon searching and I spent night and days reading on the procedures and actually though I still have a chance in this lottery
I ask my wife to email KCC and ask about her case number and current date.
Finally she got the case number but realise it was too high at 39K+.

I initially planned that I will study and she will meet me there after she gets her greencard and we will get married thereafter but until I came across some threads with experience of married couples saying that I will not be able to get the greencard until 5 years later.
I have been with her for 4 years and we have spoke about marrying since the early days of our relationship. As such, we decided to get married in April this year. After our marriage ceremony. we emailed KCC my ds230 form and marriage cert. They replied and say that will be in for processing.

From the month April to June I was always worried about the visa bulletin. Praying to god hoping I will be current in July and hope not in September which I was afraid it will be too late. Then come June 9th , when I came across a middle east forum and some 1 posted the current for Asia is 39750 and my number was very close to that ending number. I called KCC to confirm and they did.
I ask my wife to called them the next few day and check when will our interview be schedule and they told me to call back on the 19th but by 15th I already call them and they told me my interview date was Aug 10 and my Interview Letter has been mailed out.
I waited for the letter and it arrive on July 1st. The letter came and I was worried as it did not have my name in it. We went for the medical but they did not allow me to do it as my name was not on the letter. My wife did her medical on July 4th. She called the embassy after that and the embassy finally instructed the clinic to let me do my medical. We did our police cert, finance statement, marriage photos and of the ceremony itself, as well as past emails, travel histories, msn logs and letters in preparation for the interview.

We then email the US embassy in Singapore to check if they have receive my DS 230 but they requested that I submit the original so we both went down to the embassy.
On the day of interview, we went about 1.5 hrs ahead at 8am and there was already a queue outside the embassy. We queued for an hour before entering the embassy. We then took a queue number and it was our turn immediately. My wife was asked first to check her documents then me. After finishing, the CO, which was a nice guy, asked us to pay at the cashier and come back at 130pm. This time we reached early and were first in the queue and was called straight after taking the queue number. A young female CO called us to the counter. I was so nervous that I had to stand away from the counter so that I wont be seeing the CO directly.

First question she asked was: I have seen that you have recently married.
Why do you intend to get married and where did you meet. Ans
Do you have any photographs. I brought almost 5kg of photo which was so heavy. Showed her the pictures.
Then she said she forgot and made us swear and take the oath.
She asked us what we intend to do in USA since there is a finance crisis now. Ans
We updated our address on the original form.
I was so happy that I was not asked any question. She then told my wife to come back and collect our visas in 5 days time. She forgot to take our thumbprint and the guy at the counter which collected our documents called up my wife after we have already left the embassy to return to take our thumbprint.

We went back today to collect our visa and it took less than 1min.

Feel free to ask me any questions since I got most of the help from this forum and would like to write back in return for the help given.

Hi phuture,

I am happy to know that you finally pass the interview and will get GC soon. Congratulations again!
Wish my case will get through smoothly next year.

marriage certificate

I won the 2012 visa lottery as a married person(nigerian). Can the house tell me if the marriage certificate from church is acceptable by the american embassy in nigeria.

have u gone for the interview?

I won the 2012 visa lottery as a married person(nigerian). Can the house tell me if the marriage certificate from church is acceptable by the american embassy in nigeria.

Tunji, have u gone for ur interview?
if u have not and the ur interview date is not due, quickly arrange for the marriage certificate issued by the government or the state.

Hi

I went to the interview with my wife, who is a DV lottery winner. We have been married for ten years. Our interview was in London in August 2010. They didn't ask for any additional documents or evidence of marriage such as wedding photos etc. What you should bring with you to the interview are the documents listed in the NL. Naturally, marriage certificate is very important as it is the official document that proofs your marriage.

Because my wife is the DV lottery winner, she was asked lots of "tricky" questions in the interview. For example: when did you get your high school diploma? When I tried to help her, the officer got angry because I am not the winner but my wife is. Therefore, I shouldn't say anything and she must answer the questions correctly. Ok, that suited me fine.

Because my wife is the winner, they checked only her school diplomas. My wife had a high school diploma but she didn't have a document that would show the scores for each course she took in high school, so the officer became unsure if my wife's high school degree is comparable to that in the U.S. It turned out to be a problem, but we managed to sort that out. Then again, the officer started to hesitate about issuing the visa, as my wife has been house wife for the past ten years and she won't be working in the U.S. Our idea is that I will be working and she will stay home, taking care of our kids that we're planning to have after moving to the U.S.

At that point, I showed the officer my PhD diploma and a letter from my (non-US) employer explaining my position, salary and a work history of eight years in that organization. I believe there is a strong demand for my skills and experience in the U.S. and it seemed that the officer thought so, too. Once the officer saw these documents, she became convinced that my wife and I will not be a burden on U.S. social services and I will be able to get a job (and a salary) that enables our life in the United States. Only now I was allowed to speak on behalf of my wife, and the rest of the interview was between me and the officer.

Thanks for posting about your experience. We should have our interview in April.I am primary applicant. I have a higher school diploma but some subjects I didn't pass....your post then worried me when you say she was questioned as to whether it would be comparable to US high school diploma.

I do have a degree though (Bach of Arts and 1/3 through a law degree which I have taken time off from and doing very slowly as I am at home with children), so I am hoping my degree would be deemed even better than a higher school diploma. Does anyone know whether having a degree will be the focus rather than my terrible high school diploma marks-failed 2 subjects....

My husband also has a PhD and his skills in demand in US. I haven't worked outside the home for many years; similar situation to yours and your wife's. My husband will be the one working in the US, not me.

@tunji, CAPITAL NO. U must get your marriage certificate from Ikoyi Registry,Lagos. The church Certificate is just like adding a plus to u, but its not that important to them. What they really want is a marriage certificate from the Court and u can only obtain that from Ikoyi Registry, lagos. Pls act very fast cos u dont av time. As soon as u get the marriage certificate, scanned it and send it to KCC via E-mail. Let them av a copy in their record. Pls let us know if u need anymore advice. One Love Bro!

U can obtain ur marriage cert ...............

@tunji, CAPITAL NO. U must get your marriage certificate from Ikoyi Registry,Lagos. The church Certificate is just like adding a plus to u, but its not that important to them. What they really want is a marriage certificate from the Court and u can only obtain that from Ikoyi Registry, lagos. Pls act very fast cos u dont av time. As soon as u get the marriage certificate, scanned it and send it to KCC via E-mail. Let them av a copy in their record. Pls let us know if u need anymore advice. One Love Bro!

Ikoyi is not the only place u can get ur marriage cert. Go to any local govt in naija to collect ur marriage certificate, they will collect some money like #10,000 and above depending on where u do it. Ikeja local govt collect #15,000 on the condition that u will wait for 21days but if it is sharp, sharp the they will collect like #24,450 for real and u will collectit. In my case i did it somewhere in Ibadan with less than #10,000 and it was acceptable. If u are from Osun or anywhere do it there they will accept it.

Thanks for posting about your experience. We should have our interview in April.I am primary applicant. I have a higher school diploma but some subjects I didn't pass....your post then worried me when you say she was questioned as to whether it would be comparable to US high school diploma.

I do have a degree though (Bach of Arts and 1/3 through a law degree which I have taken time off from and doing very slowly as I am at home with children), so I am hoping my degree would be deemed even better than a higher school diploma. Does anyone know whether having a degree will be the focus rather than my terrible high school diploma marks-failed 2 subjects....

My husband also has a PhD and his skills in demand in US. I haven't worked outside the home for many years; similar situation to yours and your wife's. My husband will be the one working in the US, not me.

U will be fine with ur degree however, did u have credit in ur english and mathematics and three other credit totalling 5 credits. If u dont have a credit in maths u might be pardoned but ensure u do have 5 credits in ur o level. Since u have a degree u will be interviewed based on dat like title of ur project @ University, summary, objective and stuf like that. Ur husband PHD is a plus to u, though they will not interview ur husband at all, but if sense a problem, ur husband can tell them his qualification and how he intends to work to take care of the family. With God on ur side u should be fine. PLS PRAY I SAY PRAY, PLS PRAY FOR FAVOUR. some CO are very calous and unfriendly. I pray that God will favour u IJN

Last edited by a moderator:
U will be fine with ur degree however, did u have credit in ur english and mathematics and three other credit totalling 5 credits. If u dont have a credit in maths u might be pardoned but ensure u do have 5 credits in ur o level. Since u have a degree u will be interviewed based on dat like title of ur project @ University, summary, objective and stuf like that. Ur husband PHD is a plus to u, though they will not interview ur husband at all, but if sense a problem, ur husband can tell them his qualification and how he intends to work to take care of the family. With God on ur side u should be fine. PLS PRAY I SAY PRAY, PLS PRAY FOR FAVOUR. some CO are very calous and unfriendly. I pray that God will favour u IJN

Thank you for your kind words.I passed maths and english in my higher school diploma; passed all subjects except for failing chemistry and ancient history. We will be prepared and your advice has been very helpful.

Wishing you all the very best success!

hmm

I'm a bit confused here.. When I read on many of the articles here in Ghana.. It says the qualification is 5 passes including english and maths. someone had e8 and d7 in english and maths respectively and failed in only science and the rest of the grades are good (WASSCE) . I want to know if it is possible to continue with the processing. because his interview is on 15th march.

Thanks god >>> visa approved

Dear All
Let me share my interview experience :

>We arrived 30 mins before the scheduled time
Security check at external gate then proceed to reception window, exchanged our IDs with Visitor card containing Numbers, called to stand in a line per numbers
More restrict security check then proceed to the Embassy queue area, have no and wait

>>Proceed to the assigned window no 4 when our number shown
The officer was a young lady, asked for Documents in certain arrange >>Principal Applicant all documents Original and a copy, stamped the copies with lapels [Passport , Birth certificate, Marriage contract ,Assets , Education certificates , Experience certificate ,Military Record and Police clearance certificate ]
Then documents for my wife and again for the two boys
I had a new born after wining notification , to add him to the application they asked for DS230 and photos for him , I emailed KCC and Local Consular Section and got these instructions to accompany his documents to the Interview.
The officer lady was nice and friendly.

>>>She directed us to pay fees in Cashier window no 3, the fees were reduced, told with a smile from the officer.
Payed the fees and asked for receipt, Cashier told they will give with finger print taking, wait and they will cal by name.

>>>>Called my name to window no 7 , Another lady officer with another smile, please put your left then right 4 finger then 2 thumbs, then called my wife, I asked to be present to translate, the lady had no objection. Told to wait again for interview call by name.

>>>>>They called our name to proceed to window no 8 for the interview.
A third nice Lady officer with a smile : we received your documents and copies, we will return your originals now.
Please raise your right hand , I swear all documents and information here are true, We did
Sign the forms , we did
We will start the Interview :
-How long you have been married?
-How many children do you have?
-Is this your first marriage?
-What is your highest Education?where? Describe more? what is your major ?how many years?
-Have any relatives in the US?
-What is your current job? where are you working now?
-What are your plans if you have the visa?
She told that they were going to ask for affidavit of support but my Bank statement shows enough assets to support my family [about 30,000 USD]

With a nice smile, she told : Congratulations ,I will approve your visas, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, I wish you a pleasant life in the US.
We will keep your passport to issue the visas , proceed to the DHL courier outside the Embassy and arrange for the delivery of your passports and landing packages, she gave 4 copies of our 4 passports with blue sticker on each and fees payment receipt. THANK YOU with wide smile from us this time loool

Outside the embassy, we exchanged the visitor card back for our IDs, Proceeded to the DHL courier. I gave the address and phone no.
All this was done in 90 minutes.
GOD , thank you , our dream became true
We went back home and celebrate yahooooooooooooooooo
I wish you all good luck

Congrats again!

Dear All

Security check at external gate then proceed to reception window, exchanged our IDs with Visitor card containing Numbers, called to stand in a line per numbers
More restrict security check then proceed to the Embassy queue area, have no and wait

The officer was a young lady, asked for Documents in certain arrange >>Principal Applicant all documents Original and a copy, stamped the copies with lapels [Passport , Birth certificate, Marriage contract ,Assets , Education certificates , Experience certificate ,Military Record and Police clearance certificate ]
I had a new born after wining notification , to add him to the application they asked for DS230 and photos for him , I emailed KCC and Local Consular Section and got these instructions to accompany his documents to the Interview.

>>>She directed us to pay fees in Cashier window no 3, the fees were reduced, told with a smile from the officer.
Payed the fees and asked for receipt, Cashier told they will give with finger print taking, wait and they will cal by name.

>>>>Called my name to window no 7 , Another lady officer with another smile, please put your left then right 4 finger then 2 thumbs, then called my wife, I asked to be present to translate, the lady had no objection. Told to wait again for interview call by name.

A third nice Lady officer with a smile : we received your documents and copies, we will return your originals now.
Please raise your right hand , I swear all documents and information here are true, We did
Sign the forms , we did
-What is your highest Education?where? Describe more? what is your major ?how many years?
She told that they were going to ask for affidavit of support but my Bank statement shows enough assets to support my family [about 30,000 USD]

With a nice smile, she told : Congratulations ,I will approve your visas, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, I wish you a pleasant life in the US.
We will keep your passport to issue the visas , proceed to the DHL courier outside the Embassy and arrange for the delivery of your passports and landing packages, she gave 4 copies of our 4 passports with blue sticker on each and fees payment receipt. THANK YOU with wide smile from us this time loool

Outside the embassy, we exchanged the visitor card back for our IDs, Proceeded to the DHL courier. I gave the address and phone no.
I wish you all good luck

I love the way you shared your experience promptly with all the forums that you visit. I hope that I will follow these good footsteps. Congratulations again!

How much did u pay?

Dear All

Sign the forms , we did

I wish you all good luck

U said the fees are reduced, does it mean u did not pay up to $819 per person? Then how much did u pay per person? Congrat bro.

Almost the fee is half of that

U said the fees are reduced, does it mean u did not pay up to $819 per person? Then how much did u pay per person? Congrat bro.
for 4 family members I payed 1760= 440 per person
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Please forgive me for sharing my experience a bit late.

My wife, my daughter and I got to embassy earlier than 7 am, the appointment time. We were called in and we made the payment of two hundred and seventeen thousand eight hundred naira ($440 x 3 x 165 naira) only.

The below documents were collected:

Medical document;
Police certificate;
Marriage certificate;
Degree Certificate and WAEC;
And Birth certificate.

NOTE: All these documents were carefully arranged and separated into different envelope by me before getting to the embassy such that when the guy requesting for each one, I called the envelope out and give him the requested one. This made the guy astonished and impressed.

The above stated documents were collected from me and my wife excluding the degree certificate from my wife because she has some month to finish her MBBS. While DS – 230 form for my child was also submitted.

I went with different back-up documents such as Traditional and White (Church) wedding album, wedding invitation, church wedding program’s booklet, my daughter’s naming ceremony album, pictures of my wife when she was pregnant, My wife’s affidavit of change of names, Copy of my wife’s publication of change of names in two newspaper, Affidavit of marriage, My Bachelor of Engineering graduation’s pictures and my NYSC certificate with the picture album.

We sat down and later, we were called to one of the window.

The Interview:

CO : Good morning
I : Good morning
CO : You are “ my full name”
I : Yes
CO : Passed all our original document to us except the international passports and asked us to keep it.
I : Thanks!
CO : Do u know what to do for me?
I : No!
CO : Shown me and my wife, the part to sign on our DS-230

My wife & I : We signed

CO : Asked who is to sign for my daughter on her DS-230
I : Signed
CO : Instructed me and my wife to do fingerprint.

My wife and I : We did fingerprint.

CO : Asked my wife to go and sit down

My wife : Sat very close to the window where I was interviewed.

CO : What is your highest qualification?
I : I have BEng. In ……………. Engineering and I graduated in year …………..
CO : Your document read that you have experience in your field of study, What do u do now?
I : I stated where ‘am working, the job title, mentioned my job responsibilities and inputted all my past job experience.

NOTE : I was first frightened because I prepared to answer question on education. Later I remembered that I filled the experience part of my DSP-122 and DS-230. Meanwhile, I did not give him chance to scrutinize me while I was saying everything about my work experience.

CO : OK ! ! ! That’s all right
I : Thanks!
CO : You registered for the lottery as married while your marriage certificate read a date after the registration. What transpired?

I : It is well understood in my culture that traditional marriage precede the court or the church marriage. In the light of this, our traditional marriage had taken place before the registration of marriage in the registry as law requested and also before church marriage as our doctrine preaches. Therefore, my wife and I have been blessed as couple traditionally before the lottery registration. I have evidence to buttress my points, Sir.

CO : What is it?
I : Our traditional marriage album and our white wedding album.
CO : Let me see it.

I : I brought out a big picture album that has our traditional wedding pictures shows my wife and I in native attire and in the presence of both parents. I started flipping the album to show different pictures and telling the CO about the people in the album. I opened about five pages of interesting traditional pictures in front and I skipped into white wedding’s pictures at the middle of the album. I continued telling him about the people in the picture.
NOTE: I was in a lighter mood, very audible and I made sure that I commanded the audience around me. Suddenly I noticed that the CO was typing something on his computer.

CO : OK! Who is to pick the visa?
I : Answered
CO : Showed me the address on the white sheet
I : A white sheet collected.

I am using this opportunity to thanks all the concerned forumites.

ADVICE : My gentle words goes to the forumites who are preparing for visa interview, please be courageous and be firm in your speeches during the interview.
Ensure your documents are intact and probe yourself before the main interview.

For married applicants, relate to each other as couple at the interview venue not as distant relatives. Who knows the official watching?

I noticed that some applicants in this forum that failed the visa interview are derivatives. They are not the principal applicant. Please permit me if I made wrong justification on this perception. However, it is highly advisable for the beneficiary of this forum to invite his or her primary applicant to be active in the forum. I read a lot of forum’s trends and I posted my concerns for forumites to help.

Thanks and best regards,

Tonnyblue

Congratulations

P

ADVICE : My gentle words goes to the forumites who are preparing for visa interview, please be courageous and be firm in your speeches during the interview.
Ensure your documents are intact and probe yourself before the main interview.

For married applicants, relate to each other as couple at the interview venue not as distant relatives. Who knows the official watching?

Tonnyblue

Congratulations on your interview. I didn't do Consular but even with the AOS interview being bold firm and sure comes in handy. The only thing he asked me about my husband was why we are not processing together and I told him that we decided to do it one at a time.

Now the part of married couples relating as distant relatives cracks me up! :p hehehe, coz I think for most parts African couples in Africa relate as distant relatives and I has forgotten all about that ... And how at times they could be walking together but one is far ahead BUT they are still together hehehehe ... I need to visit Africa!

Congratulations on your interview. I didn't do Consular but even with the AOS interview being bold firm and sure comes in handy. The only thing he asked me about my husband was why we are not processing together and I told him that we decided to do it one at a time.

Now the part of married couples relating as distant relatives cracks me up! :p hehehe, coz I think for most parts African couples in Africa relate as distant relatives and I has forgotten all about that ... And how at times they could be walking together but one is far ahead BUT they are still together hehehehe ... I need to visit Africa!

Yes oh! Some couple are just get together to procreate.Especially in Nigeria, you don't even see your wife's nakedness and you don't know a thing about your favorite things.