• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery Re-draw Oct

Thanks for the link !

From what Ms THURMOND said the following is still possible:
They already selected 105k but did not inform them all. In the past they just sent a letter. This year is the first time that people have to go back and check

"
So it is a practice we’ve done in the past, but this is the first time that people have to check back in to find out if they were selected as part of the second group.
"

And that could be part of the formula they use to determine if they'll reach the 50k or not - by the number of people checking to see if they were selected. Some people might not know that they need to proactively do everything themselves, they might still have the idea that they'll get a letter, like in the past. Or an email telling them to check. For those people, their places in the lottery get given away. Or they might have lost their Confirmation Numbers or didn't understand the importance of keeping it. Not everyone reads instructions carefully.

This is a great link, thank you very much for posting this! There is a lot of information in this when you read it in its entirety; from how entering the DV affects other immigration, and as you say, why it seemed like this was the first time they offered a possible second draw. It's been done before, but obviously they have to ask people to hold onto their numbers this time rather than just send them a letter. I guess we have to wait and see which regions are lacking in response rate and warrant another draw to make up the numbers. I wonder if statistically, regions with few allocated numbers and applicants have a greater response rate (like Oceania for example, not a lot of applicants and not many winners each year).

Just my thinking (and it's early morning = no coffee yet lol)

Q

I was reading this on their website this morning, which I think is an indication as to their numbering system

Not all numbers allocated are actually used for visa issuance; some are returned to VO and are
reincorporated into the pool of numbers available for later allocation during the fiscal year. The
rate of return of unused numbers may fluctuate from month to month, just as demand may
fluctuate. Lower returns mean fewer numbers available for subsequent reallocation. Fluctuations
can cause cut-off date movement to slow, stop, or even retrogress. Retrogression is particularly
possible near the end of the fiscal year as visa issuance approaches the annual limitations.

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/Immigrant Visa Control System_operation of.pdf

Q

This is a great link, thank you very much for posting this! There is a lot of information in this when you read it in its entirety; from how entering the DV affects other immigration, and as you say, why it seemed like this was the first time they offered a possible second draw. It's been done before, but obviously they have to ask people to hold onto their numbers this time rather than just send them a letter. I guess we have to wait and see which regions are lacking in response rate and warrant another draw to make up the numbers. I wonder if statistically, regions with few allocated numbers and applicants have a greater response rate (like Oceania for example, not a lot of applicants and not many winners each year).

Just my thinking (and it's early morning = no coffee yet lol)

Q

You're welcome for the link. I had to put my foot up for a few days - broke my toe, of all things! :eek: - so I had lots of time to surf the net for all manner of silly and not-so-silly things, in between reading my books. If you want another good read, a longer one, mind you, try this (it's DV2014 stuff but shouldn't be different from DV2013):

http://govpulse.us/entries/2012/09/28/2012-23934/2014-diversity-immigrant-visa-program

There's some really interesting info in points 31 and 32 about what happens if you submit an application with a photo that doesn't meet the speccies, or if something happens and you don't get a Confirmation Page. I didn't know this.

Then I found this:

http://www.theodora.com/ina_96_title_2.html

which has an interesting fact about if a region doesn't use up all the visas available, they give those visas to another region. That I didn't know.

As far as Oceania, it always seems to become Current before most other regions so I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were used up. Like you say, there aren't too many visas available for Oceania and I would think the disqualification rate is very low.

Ouch - hope the sore toe feels better soon, what a nasty thing to happen. Your web research is a bonus for all of us! Thank you for sharing your delving skills with us! lol

As much as I emotively wish for another draw for our region, I suspect we not only have all the applicants we are going to get, but that everyone is pretty proactive in getting it done and are on the ball with what they need to do.

Still, there is May ahead.

Q

Ouch - hope the sore toe feels better soon, what a nasty thing to happen. Your web research is a bonus for all of us! Thank you for sharing your delving skills with us! lol

As much as I emotively wish for another draw for our region, I suspect we not only have all the applicants we are going to get, but that everyone is pretty proactive in getting it done and are on the ball with what they need to do.

Still, there is May ahead.

Q

BTW, I still haven't gotten a response after e-mailing KCC about the status of the October 22nd re-draw. Not that I was really expecting to get one.
On another note, I know everyone is really excited about the possibility of re-draw and winning the lottery in general, but we need to remember that the odds of winning are really low. I'm not saying this to be mean but I, personally, prefer to keep my expectations low and end up being pleasantly surprised, rather than devastated because I got myself worked up over this. I appreciate all input on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading this on their website this morning, which I think is an indication as to their numbering system

Not all numbers allocated are actually used for visa issuance; some are returned to VO and are
reincorporated into the pool of numbers available for later allocation during the fiscal year. The
rate of return of unused numbers may fluctuate from month to month, just as demand may
fluctuate. Lower returns mean fewer numbers available for subsequent reallocation. Fluctuations
can cause cut-off date movement to slow, stop, or even retrogress. Retrogression is particularly
possible near the end of the fiscal year as visa issuance approaches the annual limitations.

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/Immigrant Visa Control System_operation of.pdf

Q

The mechanism described in that document is relevant mostly for immigrant visas that use priority dates, like the E3 I'm approved for. Because E3 is extremely oversubscribed at this point, the priority date for my country in October 2012 is October 22nd 2006. This means I can only file my i-485 if my priority date (the date my E3 immigrant petition got approved) is on or before October 22nd 2006. By this route I'll have to wait roughly five more years before I can do AOS.

I think DV is managed by the KCC instead of the VO. KCC supplies the data on the number of selectees to interview based on the number of DSP-122 forms that they receive. Since DV entries don't use priority date, the dept of state uses the case number as cutoff marker. In this regard, the main reason the cutoff progression for Asia is so slow is because a very high number of Asian DV selectees with low CN must have been returning their DSP-122 forms early.

I say that they will be new selections based on a Washington briefing I came across a while back. There were various people asking questions and one was this:
QUESTION: And one unrelated question: There was a notation on the DV website that the DV-2013 entrants should keep their confirmation numbers, as it is possible that more entries may be selected, October 1st – which is today – 2012, at noon as we speak. So can you comment on that?

MS. KING: For DV-2013?

QUESTION: Mm-hmm.

MS. KING: Okay. Yeah. If there are not enough qualified entrants – we always – we select more winners than the 50,000, because we know that not everybody is going to qualify, not everybody is even going to pursue the visa. And we hope that we select enough more that we get about what we need. But if we get to a point where we think we may not meet the 50,000, then we will go back and again randomly select more.​

Note the last sentence - they will go back and again randomly select more. I don't know, take it for what you will. Maybe she's just saying that because it's simpler to explain, than talk about "hidden" winners which would probably have the media & others asking too many questions. If they were really "hidden" winners, a better description would be "spares" or "substitutes" or something like that.

Source: http://fpc.state.gov/198409.htm

If they were really "hidden" winners, a better description would be "spares" or "substitutes" or something like that.
They would never admit to doing anything as such..."having hidden winners".

But if we get to a point where we think we may not meet the 50,000, then we will go back and again randomly select more.[/INDENT]
Note the last sentence - they will go back and again randomly select more. I don't know, take it for what you will. Maybe she's just saying that because it's simpler to explain, than talk about "hidden" winners which would probably have the media & others asking too many questions.

I ought to think this is PR but then again who am I?

All in all,thanks for the info..

Cheers:)

And that could be part of the formula they use to determine if they'll reach the 50k or not - by the number of people checking to see if they were selected. Some people might not know that they need to proactively do everything themselves, they might still have the idea that they'll get a letter, like in the past. Or an email telling them to check. For those people, their places in the lottery get given away. Or they might have lost their Confirmation Numbers or didn't understand the importance of keeping it. Not everyone reads instructions carefully.

And that could be part of the formula they use to determine if they'll reach the 50k or not - by the number of people checking to see if they were selected.
I would beg to differ on this quote since derivatives also eat into this 50k figure thus it can be brutal on higher CN category.

Some people might not know that they need to proactively do everything themselves, they might still have the idea that they'll get a letter, like in the past. Or an email telling them to check.
probably that's why they insist on completing ur secondary education coz the most of the rules r clear & even if u r in the dark,that's the purpose of forums like these.Unfortunately,the ignorant will be shafted.

Or they might have lost their Confirmation Numbers or didn't understand the importance of keeping it. Not everyone reads(& understands) instructions carefully
Well said.

AS i understand from different Forums, there are 80 % chances of additional winners this comming monday.
Wow !!!
I hope im right here :)

KCC finally responded to my e-mail regarding a second selection. Nothing new here:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Please keep your confirmation number until at least September 2013, even if you were not selected on May 1, 2012. The Department of State may select more DV 2013 entries on October 22, 2012 at noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4)."

KCC finally responded to my e-mail regarding a second selection. Nothing new here:

Please keep your confirmation number until at least September 2013, even if you were not selected on May 1, 2012. The Department of State may select more DV 2013 entries on October 22, 2012 at noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4)."

Stays very vague. But that is what i would have expected. I will keep my fingers crossed.

hi

Only few days left.

Let's hope we will have better luck this time, the people who come everyday here are the one who realllllly want the gc and they should get it :D .

Anyway good luck everyone

Only few days left.

Let's hope we will have better luck this time, the people who come everyday here are the one who realllllly want the gc and they should get it :D .

It should be the truth, unfortunately it isn't like that! But we keep hoping and praying!;)

Well atleast they have confirmed that there is a selection(that's enough optimism for me). Well if until now they still expect additional selection, I do not think 2 days would make them change that sentence.
2 day and half to go :)

Only few days left.

Hahaha how I wish KCC would start thinking that way :D