• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery Questions

irishregers

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys, how's things, I have a few questions that I was hoping someone may be able to answer.

My wife has just been chosen for the DV Lottery 2014. We are in the process of completing and sending all our paperwork, although I have a few issues.

Firstly, I am completing an Architecture degree and have 2 years to complete. If we were successful and to obtain the green card for next year, is there a time limit that we need to be in America for?, as I really want to finish my degree before moving out.

Secondly, if we have to move to America to keep the green card up, is there a way of deferring for a year or so, which would allow me to finish my course.

Thirdly - If there is no option for deferring, would it be an option to travel every 2-3 months on my college breaks to keep up the visa?

Also is there any way of telling approximately how long it would take before getting an interview. If my wifes case number helps
its 2014EU00005XXXX.

Thanks in advance..

Conor

Hello and congrats!
If you and your wife will pass the interview for DV2014, you will have a 6 month visa on the Passport and therego 6 months to enter US.
Once you are in US, it is advisable to wait for your GC and to apply for a SSN with the offices in your area.
Once you have the GC , you have 2 possibilities to go back to your country to finish your studies without loosing the GC:

- ask and fill the forms for a re-entry permit before leaving US (60 days before leaving): this will give you the opportunity to stay outside US for up to 2 years without loosing the GC
- make trips from US to your home country to pursue your studies without leaving US for more than 12 months (it it highly advisable to return to US every 4-5 months)

IMHO, the re-entry permit is better and will not give any problems.

Because the second option is risky if you will stay outside US more than permitted or if the officer on POE, taking into account your constant trips, will consider that you don't have enough reasons to make US your permanent residence country.

Read about the re-entry permit on USCIS website at this link http://1.usa.gov/Vyj7NW

Also search the internet and seek a lawyer's advice if you need.

With your number, you'll likely only be interviewed in August or even more likely, September 2014. So at that point you'll only have 1 year left of your program. Once the visa is given, you have 6 months to go to the US to activate your permanent residency. So you can go to the US in December during your school break (3-4 months after visa issuance), and return to your country in January. You don't need to wait for the GC to reach you. If your wife is there or you have someone who will be hosting your initial stay, they can mail it to you in your country when it reaches them.

After your return in January, you can complete the remaining half-year of your education and return to the US in June 2015 to live permanently (4-5 months later).

In your case, I don't think getting the reentry permit or 2 year extension is necessary since you can complete your degree within 6 months of getting your plastic GC.

Participated baswith

Hey Tew, why do you think it would be so long for an interview? Surely if it was Spetember next year, it wouldn't us time it be issued the green card, which means we don't get it. I am assuming that you have to have the green card befor the end of September next year or its back to the selection process?

With your number, you'll likely only be interviewed in August or even more likely, September 2014. So at that point you'll only have 1 year left of your program. Once the visa is given, you have 6 months to go to the US to activate your permanent residency. So you can go to the US in December during your school break (3-4 months after visa issuance), and return to your country in January. You don't need to wait for the GC to reach you. If your wife is there or you have someone who will be hosting your initial stay, they can mail it to you in your country when it reaches them.

After your return in January, you can complete the remaining half-year of your education and return to the US in June 2015 to live permanently (4-5 months later).

In your case, I don't think getting the reentry permit or 2 year extension is necessary since you can complete your degree within 6 months of getting your plastic GC.

Tew predicted the timeline based on your Case Number - 2014EU00005XXXX which is at the very high end. To be blunt, it is so high, that you may never be given an interview (although some here would disagree with that statement) and yes, at the end of September 2014 it is back to square one - there is no further benefit derived from the 2014 selection.

Lessons nsfofro

Hi Simon,

I have just noticed that the case number I put on has an extra x, and that it is actually 2014EU00005XXX
Which would mean that her case is the the 5,000's and not the 50,000's, would this make a difference?

Thanks

Conor

Tew predicted the timeline based on your Case Number - 2014EU00005XXXX which is at the very high end. To be blunt, it is so high, that you may never be given an interview (although some here would disagree with that statement) and yes, at the end of September 2014 it is back to square one - there is no further benefit derived from the 2014 selection.

Hi Simon,

I have just noticed that the case number I put on has an extra x, and that it is actually 2014EU00005XXX
Which would mean that her case is the the 5,000's and not the 50,000's, would this make a difference?

Thanks

Conor

LOL - er yes Conor that makes a HUGE difference. IF you submit your forms now, you'll probably be selected for interview in the first month or two (i.e. October/November). So now you need to consider the reality of the timing. As has been explained there isn't a deferment option (not for long enough anyway) and once you go there you have to demonstrate that you are making a home there.

One thing you might want to consider to give yourself more time is to submit the 122 and 230 forms late by a few months. I *think* that would be possible but if you plan to do that, please check that with KCC direct. Also, don't leave it too long into next year because they could allocate all available GCs earlier than the end of the year (Sept 30, 2014).

Hey guys, how's things, I have a few questions that I was hoping someone may be able to answer.

My wife has just been chosen for the DV Lottery 2014. We are in the process of completing and sending all our paperwork, although I have a few issues.

Firstly, I am completing an Architecture degree and have 2 years to complete. If we were successful and to obtain the green card for next year, is there a time limit that we need to be in America for?, as I really want to finish my degree before moving out.

Secondly, if we have to move to America to keep the green card up, is there a way of deferring for a year or so, which would allow me to finish my course.

Thirdly - If there is no option for deferring, would it be an option to travel every 2-3 months on my college breaks to keep up the visa?

Also is there any way of telling approximately how long it would take before getting an interview. If my wifes case number helps
its 2014EU00005XXXX.

Thanks in advance..

Conor

Congratulations on your selection. With your low CN, going by the trends of previous VBs, you could be be current and interviewed in October 2013 (you should know for certain by mid August when the September/October VB is released). Depending on when your medical exam is done, you will have up to 6 months following your visa issuance to enter the US. You can then apply for a 2 year re-entry, which enables you to go back and complete your studies. Of course, you'll need to be in the US in order to apply for the re-entry permit as you'll need to do Biometrics, you can leave before the permit is issued, if time is of essence, the permit can be sent to the US embassy in your home country. Having your wife stay behind in the US and you coming home in between school breaks represents a strong tie to the US.

LOL - er yes Conor that makes a HUGE difference. IF you submit your forms now, you'll probably be selected for interview in the first month or two (i.e. October/November). So now you need to consider the reality of the timing. As has been explained there isn't a deferment option (not for long enough anyway) and once you go there you have to demonstrate that you are making a home there.

One thing you might want to consider to give yourself more time is to submit the 122 and 230 forms late by a few months. I *think* that would be possible but if you plan to do that, please check that with KCC direct. Also, don't leave it too long into next year because they could allocate all available GCs earlier than the end of the year (Sept 30, 2014).

You can submit the forms late. I know of someone who only found out in late July last year that they had been selected and even though their number had been current for months they were able to get everything done in time to get their GC. But as you say, this approach does run the risk of running out of available GCs.

Happy days, I will have to give it a think and see what we will do.

Thanks for the info.

Kcc

I malied my forms to KCC may 10.2013 and 5 days left.Some one know when should I get mail or e-mail from KCC?

Thank You