• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery & name change

Realjj

Hello,

I am currently in the process of changing my name (example. John Doe to Alexander Smith) and I doubt that the name change will be complete before the name change is finished because it can take up to three months.

I was wondering if there would be any problems if I happen to win the green card lottery but my name is completely different in May. Should I apply under my current name (John Doe) or my changes name which haven't yet been approved (Alexander Smith)?

Thank you so much

Apply under your current legal name. Don't try and predict what your name will be - use what is IS.

If you win and your name is then different, you will need to prove how the name has been changed and provide the paperwork for that...

Apply under your current legal name. Don't try and predict what your name will be - use what is IS.

If you win and your name is then different, you will need to prove how the name has been changed and provide the paperwork for that...

Thanks for your fast reply. Do you think that my application could be refused if I changed my name or will paperwork be sufficient?

Depends on the paperwork and to some extent the embassy/CO. I would not attempt this in some countries such as Ghana for instance because fraud levels are so high the COs are naturally suspicious of documentation. But if you have good documentation from trustworthy sources, it should be ok. It isn't that rare, many people change their names due to marriage.

You'll also almost certainly be questioned as to why you wanted the name changed (assuming it is not something comventional like marriage) and I am sure your police records etc will be scrutinized in depth, you will probably need to get them in both names, so as simon says make sure all your documents are in order.

You'll also almost certainly be questioned as to why you wanted the name changed (assuming it is not something comventional like marriage) and I am sure your police records etc will be scrutinized in depth, you will probably need to get them in both names, so as simon says make sure all your documents are in order.

Thanks,

Well I moved to the UK a few years ago and made my name more English because it's easier for people to pronounce (and I have Canadian ancestors). I have no criminal record or anything so I doubt that there will be any issues .

OK - so it sounds like you might have started using the name "years ago". In the UK you can change your name simpluy by using that name - that is legal in the UK - but there is also a process (deed poll) that is the legal recording of a name change. So - this might change things. If you have documentation that already exists in the "new name" (employment records and so on) you might want to use your new name in the DV process. Either way - you need to be clear about this.

If you were to win you can add alias names in the DS260 which is the formal application for immigration after you are selected for further processing.

Final point - the basic advice should be to use your legal name - and that should match to the birth cert, hopefully your passport and if there is a variance from that you start to need a paper trail showing how/why the name changed.

Thanks,

Well I moved to the UK a few years ago and made my name more English because it's easier for people to pronounce (and I have Canadian ancestors). I have no criminal record or anything so I doubt that there will be any issues .

As I said just make sure all the docs are in order and you should be fine. They will just want to be sure you haven't changed your name to try hide from something criminal in your past.

Since we're on that topic, How can someone change their name in the USA? My parents named me after my great grandmother. In Indian culture, old women are addressed as "bai" (literally Mother). So my name is usamommybai lol. I managed to bribe the guys doing my ID in Kenya to put a hyphen between my first name and Bai. The reason I want to do this is e.g. my name is mispelt in my driving licence so instead its spelt usaaommybai. Is that possible? I would prefer to drop the Bai altogether if possible.

Since we're on that topic, How can someone change their name in the USA? My parents named me after my great grandmother. In Indian culture, old women are addressed as "bai" (literally Mother). So my name is usamommybai lol. I managed to bribe the guys doing my ID in Kenya to put a hyphen between my first name and Bai. The reason I want to do this is e.g. my name is mispelt in my driving licence so instead its spelt usaaommybai. Is that possible? I would prefer to drop the Bai altogether if possible.

You will need to start by approaching your local county clerk's office, fill out a bunch of forms explaining why you wish to change your name. Following an approval by a judge, you will need to apply for a replacement GC using the new name. Next step after getting the new GC will be to apply for a replacement SSN and a new driver's license (if you currently have one in your previous name). Then you will need to apply for a new passport also.

Hello!

I won the DV lottery 2020, but when i applied, i applied with my name before marrige (but i did declare i am married) but know my documents are with my new surname. Is this an issue??
What should i do?

Can someone please help. Regards,

Hello!

I won the DV lottery 2020, but when i applied, i applied with my name before marrige (but i did declare i am married) but know my documents are with my new surname. Is this an issue??
What should i do?

Can someone please help. Regards,

You were not married when you submitted your eDV registration but selected married as your marital status? When did you get married?

You were not married when you submitted your eDV registration but selected married as your marital status? When did you get married?
No, i got married on August 2018, and applied on November 2018. Ths issue is that i applide with my "born" name and now i have updated all my personal docs with my new surname (given from my husband).

Is this an issue? I just didnt put my new surname because of my documents, but i did declare i am married.
Please help!

No, i got married on August 2018, and applied on November 2018. Ths issue is that i applide with my "born" name and now i have updated all my personal docs with my new surname (given from my husband).

Is this an issue? I just didnt put my new surname because of my documents, but i did declare i am married.
Please help!

That shouldn’t be an issue in that case assuming you did not originally submit a double entry by using your maiden name for one registration and using your new last name for a second one.

So to address your issue, you’ll list your marital name in the actual name section on your DS260 form and list your maiden name (the name used for eDV registration) in the other names used section.

That shouldn’t be an issue in that case assuming you did not originally submit a double entry by using your maiden name for one registration and using your new last name for a second one.

So to address your issue, you’ll list your marital name in the actual name section on your DS260 form and list your maiden name (the name used for eDV registration) in the other names used section.

No, i didnt do a double registration.

My issue was that when i applied, i did not have my documents issued with my marital name. So i applied with my maiden name and declared i am married. In the DS-260 i should use my marital name, and on forms and lists my maiden name ? Wont this be confusing in the process ? It will be like 2 differente people.. im very worried. Does this happen often when single people change name after marrige?

Regards,

No, i didnt do a double registration.

My issue was that when i applied, i did not have my documents issued with my marital name. So i applied with my maiden name and declared i am married. In the DS-260 i should use my marital name, and on forms and lists my maiden name ? Wont this be confusing in the process ? It will be like 2 differente people.. im very worried. Does this happen often when single people change name after marrige?

Regards,
Sounds like you have all the required documentation so there should be no issue filling in the DS-260 with your married name and then listing your maiden name in "known by other names" section.

At the end of the day just be truthful - list your names, provide the right documentation and you should be fine

Sounds like you have all the required documentation so there should be no issue filling in the DS-260 with your married name and then listing your maiden name in "known by other names" section.

At the end of the day just be truthful - list your names, provide the right documentation and you should be fine

Thanks for your suport! These imigration process are really tricky... one detail can eliminate you from the process. I found out i won yesterday didnt sleep all night because i dont want to loose this oportuinity.

Hello!!!
I have a problem too.
I have changed my passport in 2015 and they made a mistake in my Third name they changed one later from G to Q, I have been selected in 2020 but my issue is all the documents are with the old name but I have been selected by the New one and I want to edit the passport names to the old names, I have a copy from the old passport.
Is there any problem to change the passport and edit the name?
Depends on the paperwork and to some extent the embassy/CO. I would not attempt this in some countries such as Ghana for instance because fraud levels are so high the COs are naturally suspicious of documentation. But if you have good documentation from trustworthy sources, it should be ok. It isn't that rare, many people change their names due to marriage.

Hello!!!
I have a problem too.
I have changed my passport in 2015 and they made a mistake in my Third name they changed a later from G to Q, I have been selected in 2020 but my issue is all the documents are with the old name but I have been selected by the New one and I want to edit the passport names to the old names, I have a copy from the old passport.
Is there any problem to change the passport and edit the name?

In the ds260 what name I'll put?

Hi all - I have been using the xxxxx website to apply for my family’s GC lottery and paid for a lifetime membership - but since I first registered in 2018 I have legal changed my first and middle names... is there a way to change this on the website or do I have to re-register?
Thanks