• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery and B1/B2 Visa

Not that it is directly related but if you obtain a J1 waiver, your J1 visa gets cancelled too, or at least you cannot get another J1. To answer the question, one does not know whether one can enter US or not until showing up in front of the IO at the airport.

hah Raevsky. of course visa can be cancelled. at the interview CO can DENY you a visa.
if you overstay your visa, for example, and come back to your country your visa, even though not expired yet, gets cancelled. another example. if you are in US on let's say J1 visa and try to change your status which is later denied your visa, even if still valid, gets cancelled. those are only two simple examples.

you try to pretend you know everything which becomes funny. "Colombians get visa for 10 years, true". Lol. They can get visa valid UP to 10 yrs. Doesnt mean all of them are given for such a long period of time. And that applies to every other country. You can get your b1/b2 visa for a year, two, three, five... 10. everything depends on your individual situation.
come on. You made several statements and missed the point in all.
1. At the interview for another visa existing visa could be cancelled. For instance, you hve b-1 and apply for f-1. They deny your f-1 and cancel b-2 - both on the same reason - 214b. Or they issue an immigrant visa for you and cancel h-1b because of that.
2. If you overstay, you visa is not cancelled, it is automatically voided. Voided is very much different from cancelled. Voided means invalidated automatically by your actionl. No consular officer of uscis official could unvoid it. And cancelled means by applying a dos policy or a law in a consulate during your interview or by applying a law upon asking for permission to enter at the border. That is by action of a us official.
3. Visa could be given for period shorter than maximum possible. But a specific strong reason is needed. Otherwise us citizens will get short period visas to your contry of citizenship as a rule of reciprocity. Consuls are instructed to use this rule as rare as possible, in case of a very strong reason, and use maximum possible period otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it is directly related but if you obtain a J1 waiver, your J1 visa gets cancelled too, or at least you cannot get another J1. .
in most cases that is true, but theoretically that is possible, no real restriction exists except that waiver usually means an immigrant intent, but j-1 requires a nonimmigrant intent. But we were talking about an existing visa being cancelled or voided. Waiver on j-1 does not have an affect on existing j-1 visa, except that it might be difficult to use it again.

waiver usually means an immigrant intent

Not at all. It breaks my heart to think people will read these nonsensical interpretations in the future.

To answer Serch's question; after an unsuccessful attempt to permanent residency, one should realize that they can be denied entry to US. One thing you can do is to call the US embassy and ask for advice. You may even apply for a new tourist visa and show that you have ties to your home country. But even if the embassy has no problem with you, you may still be denied entry into US. To be on the safe side, you can bring enough documentation with you to show that you are working in your home country and you really are going to a business meeting. Having a return ticket and enough documents to show you are there for business only, you can have a chance to convince the IO. Having so many trips (and returns) to USA in the past is a good sign too. Or maybe you won't have any problem at all. One never knows.

I would suggest not to contact us officials about this situation before applying for admission. Any contact would most likely negate the chances for successfull entry.
At this point you have rather high chances that io at the border would not be prepared to deny you an entry because would not guess to ask right questions. After the contact it would most likely be the opposite

I would suggest not to contact us officials about this situation before applying for admission. Any contact would most likely negate the chances for successfull entry.

Wait, DoS can tell USCIS officials what to do ?!? Wooahh! Jurisdiction! Jurisdiction!!

io at the border would not be prepared to deny you an entry because would not guess to ask right questions.

As if they don't have a computer in front of them...

It's hilarious.

Dos definitely has an ability to send uscis messages to pay close attention at certain things. I am not sure if a situation like this could be communicated, but a security thread definitely colud be. For instance, if dos figures out a terririst threat, it has an ability to send this information to uscis right away. I am not sure what exactly system is used, and what exactly could be communicated this way. But i cannot exclude that this situation could.
Of course, the communication system is computer based.

Also, i am pretty much sure uscis does not have an immediate access to all ds230 forms and will not catch the situation as it is. Except a smart officer asks right questions on his own.

Hilarious, indeed. Besides raevsky, first you're saying there is a high chance he will be denied entry to us, now you changed your mind and tell him that io wont be prepared to deny him an entry. But the point is, how can you say the io WOULD NOT GUESS to ask right questions? Thats ridiculous.

Hilarious, indeed. Besides raevsky, first you're saying there is a high chance he will be denied entry to us, now you changed your mind and tell him that io wont be prepared to deny him an entry. But the point is, how can you say the io WOULD NOT GUESS to ask right questions? Thats ridiculous.

Yesterday i was not saying anything about chances, that is not true.
So, i did not change my mind at all. That is second.
And third, io could ask right questions, i never said otherwise. But that would be rather unusual.
You have a strange habit of puting something into my mouth that i never said.

And could not check whether the person is not lying? Oh wait it's honor system at the borders :)

No, most likely this type of lie will be unpunished at the moment, but the answer would be recorded and next time you apply for a visa there will be a lifetime bar.

Hello!
I would like to Know if somebody's visa (DV) is denied during the process, is there an advantage or disadvantage applying again?
Thank You