• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

@Macanese - I've posed this issue to the State Dept on their Facebook Q&A. Their response was "It should be listed as Macau Special Administrative Region in the system". Can you check to see if this is a separate Birth Country value?
Thank you. Somebody on a facebook group about DV lottery has called KCC. We are waiting for the official response.

I can only find 'Macau' on the list of
Country Where You Were Born.
I cannot find 'Macau' or 'Macau S.A.R." on
Country of Eligibility for the DV Program

"In the U.S., there are generally three ways to deal with person with only single-word name.
  1. Use his/her name as his/her surname, then the official records (ID or Driving Licenses or school records) added FNU (or Fnu) as their first name. This can lead to a false belief that Fnu is a common Indonesian first name.
  2. Use his/her name as his/her first name, then the official records (ID or Driving Licenses or school records) added LNU (or Lnu) as their surname. This can also lead to another false belief that Lnu is a common Indonesian surname. In some cases "FNU" will be added after the name, then standing for "Family Name Unknown".[1]
  3. Use his/her name as his/her first name and surname, such as Gema Gema."
From this I would conclude for the purpose of eDV entry that with Mononymic name you could either include it as family or as first name and then indicate that you don't hold any of the other two, both should be ok. Other than that you might want to follow SusieQQQ's suggestion earlier and get in touch with the US Consulate in Jakarta for advice on the matter, to be 100% sure. Good luck, no hard feelings concerning folks from Indonesia whatsoever :)

Thank you. I've tried to reach US Consulate in Indonesia. I also posted this issue on the Facebook Q & A just now. The reply that I got is quite vague, either that or my English comprehension is not that good :p

Here's the reply from US Consulate in Jakarta:
"Thank you for writing US Visa Service Desk.

According to the naming policy of the U.S Embassy, when applicant does not have a SURNAME in the passport, the GIVEN NAME is updated in the visa as the surname and the given name is FNU."

And here's the one from Facebook Q & A:
"If you have another identification document that includes other names, such as a birth certificate, you may list those names. If all of your documents only list one name, you do not have to list any other name. You may choose to type FNU (First name unknown) on the application in place of last name and middle name."

One minute later, I received another reply:
"You can check no middle name and no last name and just use NA (for “not applicable” or FNU as that is the most common abbreviation)."

Two conflicting answer, which one should I follow? Or does this mean it's doesn't really matter?

Thanks.

Thank you. Somebody on a facebook group about DV lottery has called KCC. We are waiting for the official response.

I can only find 'Macau' on the list of
Country Where You Were Born.
I cannot find 'Macau' or 'Macau S.A.R." on
Country of Eligibility for the DV Program

Yep - I suggested 2 options.

1. Call KCC and see if anything gets fixed. I doubt it - but I could be wrong.
2. Choose Macau as place of birth and Portugal as country of eligibility.

The ideal approach would be do 1 until a few days before the end of the registration then, if not resolved, switch to approach 2.

Yep - I suggested 2 options.

1. Call KCC and see if anything gets fixed. I doubt it - but I could be wrong.
2. Choose Macau as place of birth and Portugal as country of eligibility.

The ideal approach would be do 1 until a few days before the end of the registration then, if not resolved, switch to approach 2.

Yes... I kinda doubt it now. I posted my question on the facebook page of US DoS Consular Affairs too. Their response is kinda robotic.
they only reply "It should be listed as Macau Special Administrative Region"

and I replied as below,
I do not want to act rude but please don't be robotic. I cannot find MACAU SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION on the list. I can only find MACAU on the list of 'country where you were born' while I cannot find Macau, Macau SAR, or Macau Special Administrative Region on the list of "Country of Eligibility for DV Program". The system obviously mistakenly excludes Macau from the eligible country. When I submit the application, there is a sentence in red "Your birth country is not eligible. Please select 'No' above". Would you please refer the IT department to fix this problem. Thank you.

I hope they will realize my problem.

Yes... I kinda doubt it now. I posted my question on the facebook page of US DoS Consular Affairs too. Their response is kinda robotic.
they only reply "It should be listed as Macau Special Administrative Region"

and I replied as below,
I do not want to act rude but please don't be robotic. I cannot find MACAU SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION on the list. I can only find MACAU on the list of 'country where you were born' while I cannot find Macau, Macau SAR, or Macau Special Administrative Region on the list of "Country of Eligibility for DV Program". The system obviously mistakenly excludes Macau from the eligible country. When I submit the application, there is a sentence in red "Your birth country is not eligible. Please select 'No' above". Would you please refer the IT department to fix this problem. Thank you.

I hope they will realize my problem.

They might realize, and they might change it. BUT if it gets to the last few days - use option 2. It is completely understandable (you should take screenshots to illustrate your problem) and safe (because Portugal is in the same region as Macau).

Hey Hustons! I got a problem...
I've filled the application form, submitted it and just closed the page. So that's why I didn't get my confirmation number. What should I do? :(

Thank you. I've tried to reach US Consulate in Indonesia. I also posted this issue on the Facebook Q & A just now. The reply that I got is quite vague, either that or my English comprehension is not that good :p

Here's the reply from US Consulate in Jakarta:
"Thank you for writing US Visa Service Desk.

According to the naming policy of the U.S Embassy, when applicant does not have a SURNAME in the passport, the GIVEN NAME is updated in the visa as the surname and the given name is FNU."

And here's the one from Facebook Q & A:
"If you have another identification document that includes other names, such as a birth certificate, you may list those names. If all of your documents only list one name, you do not have to list any other name. You may choose to type FNU (First name unknown) on the application in place of last name and middle name."

One minute later, I received another reply:
"You can check no middle name and no last name and just use NA (for “not applicable” or FNU as that is the most common abbreviation)."

Two conflicting answer, which one should I follow? Or does this mean it's doesn't really matter?

Thanks.
Well, that's great, you can either

a) Include your name as Last Name and mark First Name and Middle Name as "do not have" or

b) Include your name as First Name and mark Last Name and Middle Name as "do not have".

Lucky you... ;)

I've filled the application form, submitted it and just closed the page. So that's why I didn't get my confirmation number. What should I do? :(
"Houston we have a problem...". Frankly, I am not sure what, if anything, can be done to retrieve the confirmation number, hopefully I am wrong.

They now have a retrieve lost confirmation number option, but I think it's only available when the entrant status check opens (in May). You will need the email address you applied with, and some personal info. So you probably can't get the number now but you'll be able to get it when you need to check the entry...just don't change your email address in the meanwhile!

Hi all
A little question.. I have new baby on September 30 .. I know i have to include her .. Whats is the requirements for her picture ..?? Its so hard to take a professional picture for her .. Any advices what to do?

Hi all
A little question.. I have new baby on September 30 .. I know i have to include her .. Whats is the requirements for her picture ..?? Its so hard to take a professional picture for her .. Any advices what to do?

They're a bit flexible on babies' expressions etc for obvious reasons :) The easiest way to take a pic is to have the baby lie down on a light-colored sheet and take the pic from above when she is vaguely looking at the camera!

My partner and I just got our pictures taken by a professional company here in holland who are familiar with the requirements of the photos for the DV Lottery. :)
I wanted to extra check to make sure our photos are valid, by using the photo validator from the DV Lottery gov site: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/photo.aspx

Both were valid, however I still remain a little paranoid because I know some people have been disqualified simply by not sending a correct picture. When the validator site says "Your photo is valid", can I really assume that the photos will be accepted? Anyone ever had experience with this?

My partner and I just got our pictures taken by a professional company here in holland who are familiar with the requirements of the photos for the DV Lottery. :)
I wanted to extra check to make sure our photos are valid, by using the photo validator from the DV Lottery gov site: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/photo.aspx

Both were valid, however I still remain a little paranoid because I know some people have been disqualified simply by not sending a correct picture. When the validator site says "Your photo is valid", can I really assume that the photos will be accepted? Anyone ever had experience with this?

You could take a pictire of a monky and it would be accepted. The validation is fairly basic. However, it sounds like you are worrying for nothing... relax.

Hi Florentine, just have a good read through all the info, in comparing with your photos:
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/photos.html
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/photos/photo-page.html
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/photos/photo-composition-template.html