• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV - disqualified, but still asked to go for an interview

You think? Don't you think one of the most basic background checks they do is running the applicant through to pick up marriages, children etc? I guess it depends on the country but from what I've been told this does happen. I know of a case in my country where 2 children from a previous marriage were not listed and they were found out and the visa denied.

Yeah I would guess it does depend on the country. Quite simply they don't have access to all the records all over the world and doing that globally (since children can be born in countries other than the parents birthplace) would be FAR from a basic background check. In this case the OP has managed to keep the child secret from her husband (!!). Do you think USCIS can know more about her than he does????

Yeah I would guess it does depend on the country. Quite simply they don't have access to all the records all over the world and doing that globally (since children can be born in countries other than the parents birthplace) would be FAR from a basic background check. In this case the OP has managed to keep the child secret from her husband (!!). Do you think USCIS can know more about her than he does????

I missed the bit about keeping the child secret from the husband! Well, they do say they work with the host countries, and yes I guess if it was born in a different country that may escape the radar (someone on another forum had a wife and kid in another country - he never divorced - and a current spouse....) I'm guessing the countries they can't access that easily are the ones that go into AP? Quite simply I find the idea people have that all it takes to be approved is to fill in a form and hope they believe you is quite naive, and especially in the wake of the Boston bombing (yes I know they weren't DV entrants but still immigrants) I would imagine they are going to do as thorough background checks as they can. And I would think a paper trail leading to immediate family members would be one of the easiest to do...

Oh and yes I absolutely believe the USCIS can know more about people than their spouses...they have better access to information...

I missed the bit about keeping the child secret from the husband! Well, they do say they work with the host countries, and yes I guess if it was born in a different country that may escape the radar (someone on another forum had a wife and kid in another country - he never divorced - and a current spouse....) I'm guessing the countries they can't access that easily are the ones that go into AP? Quite simply I find the idea people have that all it takes to be approved is to fill in a form and hope they believe you is quite naive, and especially in the wake of the Boston bombing (yes I know they weren't DV entrants but still immigrants) I would imagine they are going to do as thorough background checks as they can. And I would think a paper trail leading to immediate family members would be one of the easiest to do...

Oh and yes I absolutely believe the USCIS can know more about people than their spouses...they have better access to information...

My work is with systems of the type that would be needed by the USCIS and other federal agencies. The systems used by the US government are less advanced than the private sector systems I deal with and have more data (which makes things harder). I can tell you with certainty that they don't have easy access to the type of information, or with the scale of data that they would need to know the sort of stuff you are (I think) assuming they would know. They can't get this sort of data 100% hooked up within their own country, so to think they would be able to interface accurately to all these other countries is just not real world. They will have "pockets" of good data, but there will be gaps. Big gaps.

My work is with systems of the type that would be needed by the USCIS and other federal agencies. The systems used by the US government are less advanced than the private sector systems I deal with and have more data (which makes things harder). I can tell you with certainty that they don't have easy access to the type of information, or with the scale of data that they would need to know the sort of stuff you are (I think) assuming they would know. They can't get this sort of data 100% hooked up within their own country, so to think they would be able to interface accurately to all these other countries is just not real world. They will have "pockets" of good data, but there will be gaps. Big gaps.

Well, in the case I referred to earlier they had gotten that info... So maybe it does depend on the host country. But if it is generally not easy as you imply, then that is a huge argument in favour of scrapping the DV program purely from a security point of view. (The argument of replacing it in favour of STEM etc applicants was easily justified in the other thread where that guy could not follow your very simple calculation..... :eek:)

Well, in the case I referred to earlier they had gotten that info... So maybe it does depend on the host country. But if it is generally not easy as you imply, then that is a huge argument in favour of scrapping the DV program purely from a security point of view. (The argument of replacing it in favour of STEM etc applicants was easily justified in the other thread where that guy could not follow your very simple calculation..... :eek:)

Yeah I'm sure that is partly the "case" against the DV program. But also understand that security screening has been in place way before the advent of large scale database systems. El Al for example developed a tremendous security screening process, much of it based on personal interview of every passenger by security trained personel. In the same way, I'm sure USCIS are experienced at spotting "issues" and if they aren't convinced, they can stonewall or simply DQ the case.

Another fallacy. :) The background checks they do for DV is no different than any other green card category. If they want to scrap DV, they should come up with an argument that is actually accurate.

And I do believe they do work with the host country; as you said, it would be very naive to think US government is handing out green cards to people based on a few paper documents they have provided. Countries already share all kinds of information; what makes you think they couldn't check whether you have a kid or not? :)

Since the original post is deleted, I don't know the issue but if the child was born in a third country; then yes it would be hard to find that out. But doesn't the OP want the child with him/her to immigrate at some point, or at least the child to visit him/her sometime in the future in US? I never understood why people think they can get away with lying; it is simply not worth the risk.