• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV application selected single instead of divorced, will this disqualify me for further processing?

muna2014

Registered Users (C)
I have to thank you all for your quick reply on my first question. Really, I was hesitating to immigrate to US, but when I met people like you I decided to immigrate to US. Though I am still worrying to send my forms to Kentucky Consular Center, I afraid they will discover my DV entry I selected single in marital status while I was divorced (It was not making any difference for me at that time), but now I have to mention it in the forms that I have married to US citizen, (of course before DV results) and this marriage is my second. Will this an intentional mistake disqualify me for further processing in the Diversity Immigrant Visa, if not what papers I have to attach with my forms? Thanks again…

Look, lied or not, clearly from the process point of view, you have been divorced when you filled the eDV form but you selected Single instead and then later before May 2013 you have got married to a US citizen, is that right?

Send the DS-230 to KCC and make sure you answer item #9 as "Married" and "2" for the total number of marriages including the present one. You don't have to send any more forms to KCC. Don't forget to fill all details of your partner and put your partners name into item #31b, because as a US citizen he/she won't be joining you in a sense of immigrating with you.

If you get an interview slot, only your name will appear on the appointment invitation letter (online on ESC website or offline, some embassies send out a letter). Bring your divorce certificate from the previous marriage and your current marriage certificate. Be truthful and honest but it's very likely you won't be asked about your choice of "Single" on the eDV form. For the visa issuance it's important that you were divorced so your ex-partner won't have a claim to US residency via yourself and that you are now married. The status "Married" on your DS-230 is the actual and important information for the consular.

I have to thank you all for your quick reply on my first question. Really, I was hesitating to immigrate to US, but when I met people like you I decided to immigrate to US. Though I am still worrying to send my forms to Kentucky Consular Center, I afraid they will discover my DV entry I selected single in marital status while I was divorced (It was not making any difference for me at that time), but now I have to mention it in the forms that I have married to US citizen, (of course before DV results) and this marriage is my second. Will this an intentional mistake disqualify me for further processing in the Diversity Immigrant Visa, if not what papers I have to attach with my forms? Thanks again…

If you lied deliberately the KCC will nail you and you'd be disqualified.

In any case if you get an interview make sure you disclose the facts truthfully as stated by creature.

Where are you applying from?

I am always honest and I will remain honest

Look, lied or not, clearly from the process point of view, you have been divorced when you filled the eDV form but you selected Single instead and then later before May 2013 you have got married to a US citizen, is that right?

Send the DS-230 to KCC and make sure you answer item #9 as "Married" and "2" for the total number of marriages including the present one. You don't have to send any more forms to KCC. Don't forget to fill all details of your partner and put your partners name into item #31b, because as a US citizen he/she won't be joining you in a sense of immigrating with you.

If you get an interview slot, only your name will appear on the appointment invitation letter (online on ESC website or offline, some embassies send out a letter). Bring your divorce certificate from the previous marriage and your current marriage certificate. Be truthful and honest but it's very likely you won't be asked about your choice of "Single" on the eDV form. For the visa issuance it's important that you were divorced so your ex-partner won't have a claim to US residency via yourself and that you are now married. The status "Married" on your DS-230 is the actual and important information for the consular.

Thank you very much, you are always helpful, do I have to send any document to KCC? Do you mean: 31b. Person(s) named in 14 and 29 who will follow you to the United States at a later date. (my husband), he is already there, how they will know if he is US citizen, there is no place on the forms asking his nationality.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the embassy get to know the truth about.if one's married or not apart from the information provided on the DS -230 form. There's this friend of mine who won the DV-2014 but excluded his wife in both initial application and further processing due to financial constraints.

How does the embassy get to know the truth about.if one's married or not apart from the information provided on the DS -230 form. There's this friend of mine who won the DV-2014 but excluded his wife in both initial application and further processing due to financial constraints.

There's no right or wrong answer to this. If you conceal the truth then I guess they wouldn't know unless you had a previous record of US visas.

I am also divorced but I never wrote single on my forms purely because I did not want to take any chances and also because the US Embassy already has my previous US visits on record which include my marital status.

Your friend who excluded his wife in his application technically committed perjury/lied and what he did does not conform to the DV rules pertaining to transparency. Here's the question (financial constraints or not): is he going to the US alone or is he planning to take his wife with him? If he is going with his wife and if they ask for a marriage certificate (which they do) then your friend will be in trouble for not stating him being married on his application.

Just my opinion...

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013
Bank Statements - 22nd July 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania
Visa Pick up - Hopefully August 11th 2013
Departure Date - August 17th 2013
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles

What do you mean he excluded his wife "because of financial constraints"? I don't understand the reasoning?

Anyway - there has been long debate about how much they can get to know. They certainly do background checks and if you come from a country where they do AP these will be extensive, and in latter case will definitely find out. If no AP...they may find out, they may not. But, then his wife can't go with him now and if he wants her to follow later then it will come to light he had lied on the forms when they see the marriage certificate...and the forms do state your green card can be revoked if they find out later you've given false information. If he just wants to abandon her, well that's not very nice but it's possible (not guaranteed) he will get away with lying on the forms.

What do you mean he excluded his wife "because of financial constraints"? I don't understand the reasoning?

Anyway - there has been long debate about how much they can get to know. They certainly do background checks and if you come from a country where they do AP these will be extensive, and in latter case will definitely find out. If no AP...they may find out, they may not. But, then his wife can't go with him now and if he wants her to follow later then it will come to light he had lied on the forms when they see the marriage certificate...and the forms do state your green card can be revoked if they find out later you've given false information. If he just wants to abandon her, well that's not very nice but it's possible (not guaranteed) he will get away with lying on the forms.

+1

I also thought the explanation about not including the wife on the eDV application was some bullcrap excuse which I simply don't buy! But that's not the issue on hand anyway.

The thing is he could possibly succeed with continuing as single. But the question is: then what after getting the visa and the eventual GC? Go on to the US and file for her under the family category in a couple of years using their current marriage certificate or forging a new one and claim he got married after he got his GC? Either way, will lead to his GC being revoked followed by a lifetime ban from the US once the government discover the GC was fraudulently obtained in the first place.

Sorry if this may have been answered before,my question is that is there a history of countries that people experience AP very often ,which countries are these and why.

One would have to make a study to show the statistics, AP affects thousands of applicants and it is always for different reasons, under different circumstances and has different duration.

Sorry if this may have been answered before,my question is that is there a history of countries that people experience AP very often ,which countries are these and why.

There are some countries that routinely have AP, I'm not 100% sure but I think countries with strong connections to terrorist organizations. But be aware that anyone from any country can be placed under AP if there is something they want to check on. But no matter which country you come from, they do background checks...they don't just rely on what you write on the forms.

This friend of yours has really acted in bad faith and he has himself to blame when things get out of hand.

WHAT FAMILY MEMBERS MUST I INCLUDE ON MY E-DV ENTRY? On your entry you must list your spouse(husband or wife) and all living unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of whether or not they are living with you or intend to accompany or follow to join youshould you immigrate to the United States.You must list your spouse even if you are currently separatedfrom him/her, unless you are legally separated (i.e., there is a written agreement recognized by a court or acourt order). If you are legally separated or divorced, you do not need to list your former spouse.You mustlist ALL yourlivingchildren who are unmarried and under 21 years of age at the time of your initialE-DV entry,whetherthey are your natural children, your spouse’s children, or children you have formallyadopted in accordance with the laws of your country,unless such child is already a U.S. citizen or LawfulPermanent Resident.List all children under 21 years of age at the time of your electronic entry,even if theyno longer reside with you or you do not intend for them to immigrate under the DV program.You arenot requiredtolistchildren who are already U.S. citizens orLawful Permanent Residents.The fact that you have listed family members on your entry does not mean that they must travel with you.They may choose to remain behind. However, if you include an eligible dependent on your visa applicationforms that you failed to include on your original entry, your case will be disqualified. This only applies to thosewho were family members at the time the original application was submitted, not those acquired at a laterdate. Your spouse may still submit a separateentry, even though he or she is listed on your entry, as long asboth entries include details on all dependents in your family. See question #9above.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2014_Instructions.pdf

That is not the question to be asked, I think the question should be why should we lie on them, if they give you the chance to go there as a married guy, or single or Divorced, why shall you or he Lie, it doesn't make sense at all, when you read the DV-2014 (http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2014_Instructions.pdf) rules and FAQ, it doesnt necessary means that they should go with you in case you have a financial constraints (read the line in instructions: The fact that you have listed family members on your entry does not mean that they must travel with you.They may choose to remain behind) but one thing for sure, you can conclude that transparency is a huge factor in admitting some one as a legal immigrant, Simply if you breach that or Lie you will be surely disqualified.