• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

Hi guys
I was on the Zoom call yesterday and firstly I want to sincerely thank Jesse and Simon for their time and effort with OC selectees.
I do have a couple of questions around the case hopefully Jesse and BritSimon can address if they have time.
Firstly I certainly not against legal action however are we jumping the gun with the timing for a Sydney specific case ? I mean if I were in Khartoum or Addis Ababa I would be saying let’s do this now and I guess that’s why judges last year asked “why legal action didn’t commence earlier” due to additional barriers in other locations and their volume of cases.
Our situation in OC and specifically Sydney is a little unique in that numbers aren’t huge and can be managed in a very small timeframe.
Out of the OC region it would be great to have a rough idea how many current cases are assigned to Sydney. Looking at BritSimons breakdown of cases for OC on his recent video shows that roughly 300 cases In OC are current and would proceed with their case (given a large number don’t proceed with their case )so if I take out say 100 to 150 for Fiji, New Zealand and OC cases to be interviewed in London etc then we are left with about 150 cases that would be current and are assigned to SYD currently (please correct me if I am wrong !!! I am just trying genuinely weigh things up). How long in normal times would 150 to 200 cases interviews take ?
I have seen a lot of talk about the consulate in Sydney reopening in May, would it be unreasonable to wait until May and see if this occurs and if not by mid May then file legal action given that there would still be 4.5 months available to conduct interviews? Would 4.5 months be enough time even if we allow for small increase in the VB for May or June.
I mean it was only a week or so prior to Christmas that I felt a little reassured by BritSimon posting on this forum that OC still PLENTY of time.
Even if we got to May and no movement in Sydney for alot less then AUD$6k many of us could ask to reassign to Auckland and with Aussie passport you can automatically enter New Zealand as a permanent resident and do medical and interview there, it’s just as much of a gamble isn’t it ??
Again I am absolutely not against the legal action nor the amount of fees but I guess I just want clarification about why is it so urgent for Sydney specific case in January/ February
Does anyone know how many OC cases that were assigned to Sydney and were current cases in DV 2020 and DV 2021 never got interviewed ? I assure you no one wants this more then me and my derivatives (yeah I now call my kids that to them ) just not sure we have reached our Sydney specific time limit so to speak.
Once again thanks to this community for these discussions and especially to BritSimon whom I have been watching in previous years when I have been unsuccessful in even being selected.
I am happy to discuss the "why now?" question...we are now about to enter the 5th month of the fiscal year. If a court has to make a judicial ruling, we need to provide adequate time so as not to rush the court. Judges do not like to be rushed. Our claims are strong based on the evidence we have -- the consulate has done nothing and has not helped. A lawsuit, our lawsuit, will expose this and (fingers crossed) force them to act now/soon/no later than 9/30. Moreover, the government must (by court order in the DV2020 case and DV2021 cases) process 10,000 additional visas for those years -- could they subtract them from DV2022? Yes. They will probably try to argue this--I am ready for this argument. They also do not plan to start processing those 10,000 visas until April at the earliest (they were ordered to do so last August/September). So, from where I sit, the second half of this year is going to be very busy with lawsuits, claims and other things. Perhaps COVID actually has peaked/soon will peak (this will help everyone but us specifically). If I thought waiting would provide a better chance for success (it will definitely be good for fearmongering potential clients as I've seen in the past), I would not spend the effort now. Based on my experience representing the DV2020 class and litigating high impact cases against the government and for the government, I believe this is the optimum time to do the most good for clients. That's how we have success. --I hope this helps :)

I am happy to discuss the "why now?" question...we are now about to enter the 5th month of the fiscal year. If a court has to make a judicial ruling, we need to provide adequate time so as not to rush the court. Judges do not like to be rushed. Our claims are strong based on the evidence we have -- the consulate has done nothing and has not helped. A lawsuit, our lawsuit, will expose this and (fingers crossed) force them to act now/soon/no later than 9/30. Moreover, the government must (by court order in the DV2020 case and DV2021 cases) process 10,000 additional visas for those years -- could they subtract them from DV2022? Yes. They will probably try to argue this--I am ready for this argument. They also do not plan to start processing those 10,000 visas until April at the earliest (they were ordered to do so last August/September). So, from where I sit, the second half of this year is going to be very busy with lawsuits, claims and other things. Perhaps COVID actually has peaked/soon will peak (this will help everyone but us specifically). If I thought waiting would provide a better chance for success (it will definitely be good for fearmongering potential clients as I've seen in the past), I would not spend the effort now. Based on my experience representing the DV2020 class and litigating high impact cases against the government and for the government, I believe this is the optimum time to do the most good for clients. That's how we have success. --I hope this helps :)
I other point I forgot to mention -- if we had to move to reserve visas (past 9/30/22)-- it would help a judge to see that we tried earlier in the year. The judges have asked this question to us before -- what took you so long? Now, we do not have the "Trump Ban" or "deprioritization" policies, but in many ways we have a total disregard of the law (without any cause).

Thanks Jesse

I dont know much about this website/source but it seems to track the timeline of consutruction at Sydney consulate. It is currently showing November 2022 completion (updated 5 days ago) -

It’s not unheard of for some tenants to move into the building before construction is completely done.
For example, it appears WeWork is already leasing spaces in the same building: https://www.wework.com/buildings/50-miller-st--sydney--NSW

So I believe the US consulate could open well before that (or maybe it will take until November...). I guess only people that know are the US consulate - pity they're being so non-communicative.

Hi guys
I was on the Zoom call yesterday and firstly I want to sincerely thank Jesse and Simon for their time and effort with OC selectees.
I do have a couple of questions around the case hopefully Jesse and BritSimon can address if they have time.
Firstly I certainly not against legal action however are we jumping the gun with the timing for a Sydney specific case ? I mean if I were in Khartoum or Addis Ababa I would be saying let’s do this now and I guess that’s why judges last year asked “why legal action didn’t commence earlier” due to additional barriers in other locations and their volume of cases.
Our situation in OC and specifically Sydney is a little unique in that numbers aren’t huge and can be managed in a very small timeframe.
Out of the OC region it would be great to have a rough idea how many current cases are assigned to Sydney. Looking at BritSimons breakdown of cases for OC on his recent video shows that roughly 300 cases In OC are current and would proceed with their case (given a large number don’t proceed with their case )so if I take out say 100 to 150 for Fiji, New Zealand and OC cases to be interviewed in London etc then we are left with about 150 cases that would be current and are assigned to SYD currently (please correct me if I am wrong !!! I am just trying genuinely weigh things up). How long in normal times would 150 to 200 cases interviews take ?
I have seen a lot of talk about the consulate in Sydney reopening in May, would it be unreasonable to wait until May and see if this occurs and if not by mid May then file legal action given that there would still be 4.5 months available to conduct interviews? Would 4.5 months be enough time even if we allow for small increase in the VB for May or June.
I mean it was only a week or so prior to Christmas that I felt a little reassured by BritSimon posting on this forum that OC still PLENTY of time.
Even if we got to May and no movement in Sydney for alot less then AUD$6k many of us could ask to reassign to Auckland and with Aussie passport you can automatically enter New Zealand as a permanent resident and do medical and interview there, it’s just as much of a gamble isn’t it ??
Again I am absolutely not against the legal action nor the amount of fees but I guess I just want clarification about why is it so urgent for Sydney specific case in January/ February
Does anyone know how many OC cases that were assigned to Sydney and were current cases in DV 2020 and DV 2021 never got interviewed ? I assure you no one wants this more then me and my derivatives (yeah I now call my kids that to them ) just not sure we have reached our Sydney specific time limit so to speak.
Once again thanks to this community for these discussions and especially to BritSimon whom I have been watching in previous years when I have been unsuccessful in even being selected.
I had this same thought too - why join the lawsuit (I still haven't decided yet but am leaning towards it) if the load on Sydney consulate seems like it'd be minimal once they open.
I've come to the conclusion the Sydney Consulate just does not care about DVs. They had ample flexibility to assist us during their move by shifting interviews to Melbourne so I'm really doubtful they will care about us once the consulate re-opens (unless forced to care by a court order).

Visa prioritisation was rescinded yet they're still focusing on immigrant visas (excl. DVs). When the office reopens, I think this focus will continue.

Just my two cents here.

It’s not unheard of for some tenants to move into the building before construction is completely done.
For example, it appears WeWork is already leasing spaces in the same building: https://www.wework.com/buildings/50-miller-st--sydney--NSW

So I believe the US consulate could open well before that (or maybe it will take until November...). I guess only people that know are the US consulate - pity they're being so non-communicative.
The building itself is not actually new, we work have been there for many years now… I believe this construction tracker is specific to the US consulate fit out contract, I don’t personally think they will move in until their space fit out is complete..

I had this same thought too - why join the lawsuit (I still haven't decided yet but am leaning towards it) if the load on Sydney consulate seems like it'd be minimal once they open.
I've come to the conclusion the Sydney Consulate just does not care about DVs. They had ample flexibility to assist us during their move by shifting interviews to Melbourne so I'm really doubtful they will care about us once the consulate re-opens (unless forced to care by a court order).

Visa prioritisation was rescinded yet they're still focusing on immigrant visas (excl. DVs). When the office reopens, I think this focus will continue.

Just my two cents here.
I also agree that there is a good chance they will de prioritise DV even after they open, especially as the consulate website for DV informations gives advice on how to enter DV23. Entering the lawsuit is the safest way forward IMO!

The building itself is not actually new, we work have been there for many years now… I believe this construction tracker is specific to the US consulate fit out contract, I don’t personally think they will move in until their space fit out is complete..
Ohh I see, thanks for clarifying. Didn't realise it was for gov contracts. That's crazy if construction is really slated to finish November. Makes their emails about "organising DV22 interviews once the office re-opens" so suss lol

Hi guys
HI DVOC - thanks for your notes. I am on the same board as you. I did have a look at the DV cases from a few years back on the Xarthisius website and from April/May there appears to be a lot of DVs issued from Sydney. I do think its a dash too early. To be safe and to hedge my case I did sign up to the Impact case. Jesse - definitely grateful and want to work with you though I think its too early :).

HI DVOC - thanks for your notes. I am on the same board as you. I did have a look at the DV cases from a few years back on the Xarthisius website and from April/May there appears to be a lot of DVs issued from Sydney. I do think its a dash too early. To be safe and to hedge my case I did sign up to the Impact case. Jesse - definitely grateful and want to work with you though I think its too early :).
Imo, making predictions regarding case numbers/ what month they will be current is pointless…Covid . Not to mention if you look at the data (dates back to 2013) this year is the only year that has had no movement at all over a two month period.

Although I live in the US and am doing AOS. This affects me too. I can’t send my AOS package until my number is current, and if no one is being interviewed… there’s no movement on the VB…

Nothing wrong with being optimistic but, low expectations, low disappointment. I’m going to give my unwarranted opinion here; those who do join the law suit, say you win, you’re not going to be able to move within the next few months regardless. Covid isn’t going away, state borders are getting tighter (not every winner lives in melb/ syd). Look at how 2021/2020 went… there’s still people on Simons videos asking about their cases from those years.

I gotta ask/ say- there’s other ways to live and work in the US and if living in the US is actually your dream, why is this the only path you’ve pursued.

I don’t mean to preach but, I’ve seen a number of posts saying things like; “living in the US is my dream”. As someone who has been entering the dv lottery for over a decade, I beg to differ. You have a pipe dream, there are multiple ways to work and live in the US that have nothing to do with the DV lottery. If living in the US was truly your dream, why haven’t you pursued

other options. I had the same dream, entering the dv lottery was my “side chance” but I did everything in my power to get here and make it work without being a PR.

All
Hi guys
Your question regarding numbers/ data etc., is available. Given the fact you watched Simons recent video, the link to the page that can answer this, is in the bio.

If you believe another Zoom meeting will be helpful to demystify the DV2022 process or provide further information about our legal plan to trigger the consulate to schedule and adopt flexible measures to reassign cases, please let me know. We will keep the onboarding open until January 25, 2021. Putting my email again below if anyone has specific questions. I'll try to address -- Best--Jesse
jbless@wasdenbanias.com

Hi..did anyone got email regarding 2nl if yes can you please tell which date you submitted your DS260 form ..
Thanks

I thought it may be helpful to provide some of my "macro" analysis -- let's assume DOS issues 500 DV2022 visas by February 1. That leaves 8 months for FY2022. Let's also assume DOS needs to issue 40,000k to comply with congressional intent and/or satisfy a judge. Keep in mind, DOS has to issue an additional 10,000 visas for DV2020 and DV2021 by October 1, 2022. So, DOS worldwide has 8 months to process 50,000 visas. That's 6250/month. They processed 400 in the previous 5 months. Total. Having continued as class counsel for DV2020 class members, I have two theories. The pilot program has crashed/glitched or DOS is still treating DV immigrants as a Tier IV priority meaning they process all IV categories first and then DV. Then, we have to drill down to the "micro" and we see the office move in Sydney. Just offering facts to help everyone try to make sense of the senseless. Be good.

If you believe another Zoom meeting will be helpful to demystify the DV2022 process or provide further information about our legal plan to trigger the consulate to schedule and adopt flexible measures to reassign cases, please let me know. We will keep the onboarding open until January 25, 2021. Putting my email again below if anyone has specific questions. I'll try to address -- Best--Jesse
jbless@wasdenbanias.com
I missed the first one so i'm all in favour of another thanks!

Is the US Consulate in Auckland open yet?
Yes, they opened for interviews when Auckland moved down to Orange (they state that they will shut for interviews if it goes back to Red which makes me nervous as Omicron is going to get out soon and they will likely move back to Red when that happens).

Reactions: TWI