• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 Oceania Selectees

Just take a look at FIJI, Fiji never locked down yet the consulate stopped processing.
I believe Britsimon has made the comment many times before, the government is allowed to protect its people.

Take a look at other embassies in Sydney and it will give you an idea. (Example NZ consulate is closed to the general public)

The biggest issue, in NSW is movement restrictions rules, and I do not think Consulates counts as essential.
I believe it is why they are closed, due to the NSW Public health orders.
This was the reason why I changed

Auckland require documents from myself before they can reschedule, yet in MIQ cant provide original copies.
2021OC7XX here in Fiji. We never had a lockdown. Our embassy closed visa processing in early May with rising covid numbers. Interviews got cancelled. To date we have over 100 cases that are being rescheduled since the embassy started rescheduling this week. Imagine its August now. Some of the rescheduled dates go into September which indicates that for those of us without a 2NL, it seems highly unlikely we will receive one. The lawsuit (which I am apart of) is the best bet however if 2020 plaintiffs are still waiting for further action regarding their case, can you imagine 2021.
What am I doing now?
1) Remaining optimistic that I get a 2NL before the September 30th deadline.
2) Remaining optimistic we get a preservation of visa (if #1 fails)
3) Survive Covid and remain financially stable to afford traveling to the US as a tourist when borders open to visit family in the US
4) Apply for greencard lottery year end

Thanks for the advice =) do you know how I look into the historical performance of that flight? I've booked Syd to LAX.
Don't worry too much about the flights, it's not difficult to get a seat leaving Australia. Most flights are having only a few people on them because of the travel exemption required to be able to leave. Getting back is the difficult part due to the caps.

From Australia to the US there have only been three airlines taking passengers during the pandemic. That's American Airlines, United Airlines and Delta Airlines.

American Airlines stopped last year for a few months and have just announced they will be stopping again for several months - those flights have been expensive and unreliable.

Delta Airlines have been doing the flights (SYD-LAX) the whole time during the pandemic and even stated recently they won't be stopping despite the low passenger numbers as they transport a lot of cargo which makes it worth it for them.

United airlines have also continued to fly SYD-LAX and SYD-SFO during the pandemic and don't appear to be stopping. They did stop the SYD to Houston in 2020.

Costs for both Delta and United have been reasonable (between AUD $900-1,100).

We're flying in October and aren't too worried, the flights have kept going. Worst case if both Delta and United stopped the flights we'd just book it another way (via Asia, NZ or Middle East), again there are still flights going those routes and it's easy to get a seat as they are leaving very empty due to the exemption requirement for people to leave. If you go via Asia, NZ or Middle East you just have to take into consideration what vaccination/test requirements they have for transit passengers (if any).

Last edited:
O
2021OC7XX here in Fiji. We never had a lockdown. Our embassy closed visa processing in early May with rising covid numbers. Interviews got cancelled. To date we have over 100 cases that are being rescheduled since the embassy started rescheduling this week. Imagine its August now. Some of the rescheduled dates go into September which indicates that for those of us without a 2NL, it seems highly unlikely we will receive one. The lawsuit (which I am apart of) is the best bet however if 2020 plaintiffs are still waiting for further action regarding their case, can you imagine 2021.
What am I doing now?
3) Survive Covid and remain financially stable to afford traveling to the US as a tourist when borders open to visit family in the US
4) Apply for greencard lottery year ending
I really feel for you...I know this covid thing ruined it in fiji....but I hope all the best for you...ans hopefully you get s visa.....all the for all dv2021 Oceania selectees

Hi all. I was lucky enough to receive my visa back in April, and am about to apply for my outbound travel exemption (I have a flight booked out in early Oct). Is there anyone here that has successfully applied for the outbound exemption recently? And tips? The consulate provided a letter explaining my visa type, and I will supply this along with the visa, one-way/ticket, evidence of vaccination, evidence of leave from work (12 months approved with extension allowed), job offer from my new employer in the US, bank statement and the stat dec. Any advice would be greatly appreciated…
Good luck to everyone still in visa limbo!

The items you have listed should cover it. The ABF website has clear guidence on what is needed for a "leaving for 3 months or more" exemption and what you have named is more than I had (I didnt have a US job offer).

In your stat dec you should make it so clear that even a child can understand you're leaving long term. Dont mince words, don't leave it ambiguous. I went so far as to put "my family and I are permanently moving to the USA" in bold underlined text.

The items you have listed should cover it. The ABF website has clear guidence on what is needed for a "leaving for 3 months or more" exemption and what you have named is more than I had (I didnt have a US job offer).

In your stat dec you should make it so clear that even a child can understand you're leaving long term. Dont mince words, don't leave it ambiguous. I went so far as to put "my family and I are permanently moving to the USA" in bold underlined text.
How long did it take for your exemption to be approved?

Thanks so much! It’s the last hurdle in this massive process and I just want it to go as smoothly as possible

Thank you. I had joined one of these groups but it was mostly inbound exemptions or people wanting a short-term outbound compassionate visit which made it hard to wade through to find anyone in the same situation. I’ll check this one out but sounds like I might be ok!

What am I doing now?
4) Apply for greencard lottery year end
Just a motivation for the Fiji winners, don’t lose hope yet. The US embassy has started rescheduling interviews and I’ve been rescheduled for the last week of August.

Don't worry too much about the flights, it's not difficult to get a seat leaving Australia. Most flights are having only a few people on them because of the travel exemption required to be able to leave. Getting back is the difficult part due to the caps.

From Australia to the US there have only been three airlines taking passengers during the pandemic. That's American Airlines, United Airlines and Delta Airlines.

American Airlines stopped last year for a few months and have just announced they will be stopping again for several months - those flights have been expensive and unreliable.

Delta Airlines have been doing the flights (SYD-LAX) the whole time during the pandemic and even stated recently they won't be stopping despite the low passenger numbers as they transport a lot of cargo which makes it worth it for them.

United airlines have also continued to fly SYD-LAX and SYD-SFO during the pandemic and don't appear to be stopping. They did stop the SYD to Houston in 2020.

Costs for both Delta and United have been reasonable (between AUD $900-1,100).

We're flying in October and aren't too worried, the flights have kept going. Worst case if both Delta and United stopped the flights we'd just book it another way (via Asia, NZ or Middle East), again there are still flights going those routes and it's easy to get a seat as they are leaving very empty due to the exemption requirement for people to leave. If you go via Asia, NZ or Middle East you just have to take into consideration what vaccination/test requirements they have for transit passengers (if any).
Thank you, that was very, very helpful and reassuring. I have booked with Delta, Syd to LAX - Las Vegas, I have allowed for 5.5 hour stopover at LAX to ensure I have enough time to complete the immigration process. Based from what you said, Delta, seem to be the most reliable and they were very helpful over the phone with the questions I had ( excess baggage costs). Thanks for the advice on other the routes that can be taken, its good to know =)

Good luck with your move over- not long to go!

Hey everyone! Have now arrived in Florida and have been eagerly awaiting green card and SSN and then I did some googling and realised there was a USCIS fee that no one had informed me about that seems like it needs to be paid before they make the card. I’m not sure how I missed this unless it was one of the fees we paid at the interview? It also said I should have received the visa packet with payment instructions back upon entry but all I got back was my passport that has been stamped. Anyone have any insight on this process? Not sure where to go from here, TIA!

Hey everyone! Have now arrived in Florida and have been eagerly awaiting green card and SSN and then I did some googling and realised there was a USCIS fee that no one had informed me about that seems like it needs to be paid before they make the card. I’m not sure how I missed this unless it was one of the fees we paid at the interview? It also said I should have received the visa packet with payment instructions back upon entry but all I got back was my passport that has been stamped. Anyone have any insight on this process? Not sure where to go from here, TIA!
The embassy should have given you instructions and it is also listed in the instructions for selectees https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...rview/diversity-visa-after-the-interview.html. You are correct the plastic green card will not be issued if the fee is not paid.
You can find details here (also linked in above link) https://my.uscis.gov/uscis-immigrant-fee/

I was given a slip of paper about the immigrant fee in the courtier satchel that my passport was returned to me in. I paid mine before I left NZ and I received my GC about 5 weeks after entering. From memory you just need your alien number and case number but I might be forgetting. It’s been a while since I paid it now lol.