• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 Oceania Selectees

You can if you wish attend your interview without the medical and be put on administrative processing (temporary refusal) pending receipt of the medical.
Hi Susie, this is what I was referring to so thank you, I'd like to do this process. My interview is around 9th aug - do you think that would give them enough time to process the medical files if I did my medical on the 10th aug? (if you have a link for this process please share). Also, how do I explain to the interview person that I am doing it this way e.g getting the vaccines secondly so I didn't get them unnecessarily incase I didn't pass the interview)

Hi Susie, this is what I was referring to so thank you, I'd like to do this process. My interview is around 9th aug - do you think that would give them enough time to process the medical files if I did my medical on the 10th aug? (if you have a link for this process please share). Also, how do I explain to the interview person that I am doing it this way e.g getting the vaccines secondly so I didn't get them unnecessarily incase I didn't pass the interview)
the times differ both by doctor and by embassy, I have no idea how much time it will take there. Well, when the CO asks why you don’t have medicals you can explain you wanted to first be sure you have no other disqualifying factors before completing the medical. Of course that could lead into a discussion of why you think you might be disqualified, so expect that.

the times differ both by doctor and by embassy, I have no idea how much time it will take there. Well, when the CO asks why you don’t have medicals you can explain you wanted to first be sure you have no other disqualifying factors before completing the medical. Of course that could lead into a discussion of why you think you might be disqualified, so expect that.
Amazing, thank you susie, you have been very helpful to me. I honestly dont think I have any disqualifying factors at all, its just I've heard people can be turned away for no reason at all, for example, the person interviewing is having a bad day. While I don't know anyone personally I've just heard of stories like these on forums.

Amazing, thank you susie, you have been very helpful to me. I honestly dont think I have any disqualifying factors at all, its just I've heard people can be turned away for no reason at all, for example, the person interviewing is having a bad day. While I don't know anyone personally I've just heard of stories like these on forums.
That’s total nonsense. The CO has to officially list a valid reason (including the section of the law being referenced) for a refusal in the case file. Honestly I think you are making this already stressful process entirely more stressful than it needs to be.

Hello, would-be immigrants,

I was a selectee for DV2012, so it was about 10 years ago that I found out I’d be moving to the United States. I thought I’d come back to this forum because so many people back then were helpful to me when I had questions about the process. Perhaps there’s already enough information out there about what to expect, but I would be happy to answer any questions as a former Oceania “winner”.

My advice is that you needn’t worry about what your case number is. The authorities don’t generally fill the allotted 50,000 quota (have they ever since the DV’s inception?) so you’ll get the visa if you meet the criteria, just expect to contend with rudeness, obfuscation, inexplicable delays and the general sense that you’ve done something wrong or even illegal. For whatever reason, this is the demeanour of the USCIS. The visa bulletin is helpful in order to predict when you’ll get an interview.

I’ve lived in NYC, Portland OR, and rural Colorado. I can’t help but feel that the US is so bizarre that I’ll never really feel at home here and I kind of wish I’d gone to Canada. The botched spelling conventions, imperial measurements, gun violence, for-profit medicine, racial tension and the other well-known unsavoury characteristics of the US still bother me, as does the general parochial character of this country, in which hardly anyone has ever lived abroad other than to study or because they’ve fled from difficult circumstances. On the other hand, I’ve found Americans to be curious, polite, and very keen to do business without unduly hassling you, and living here as a foreigner makes you feel like you’re living in a movie set. Anyway, you’ve undoubtedly heard it all before: you shouldn’t move here, but you will anyway, such is the allure of this vast and extraordinary country.

Make sure you sign up for a credit card as soon as you can in order to build up a credit score. That was a hard lesson to learn.

Also, the border agents always hassled me about what I’m doing here until I got citizenship. So don’t expect to feel totally welcome at the airport. I got my citizenship in just before the 2020 election so I could say my say about T****.

Enjoy the wild journey of life in America. At least it won’t be boring.

Thanks for coming back with your perspectives. As Mom pointed out - there are plenty of years where at least some of the regions have had a cutoff (meaning they hit the regional or global quota). That happens about half the years.

Of course your own DV experience was a bit odd. DV2012 is the year the draw was screwed up and cancelled. There was a lawsuit and a big mess. Because many people saw the first results and did not recheck after the redraw, there were many wasted visas that year.

That’s total nonsense. The CO has to officially list a valid reason (including the section of the law being referenced) for a refusal in the case file. Honestly I think you are making this already stressful process entirely more stressful than it needs to be.

+1

Simon I just remember in 2018 I had booked a b1b2 interview as I needed one for work however, my job ended up sending me to Europe instead of American but I forgot to cancel my b1b2 appointment. Will this effect my greencard appointment or do you think it could be brought up during the interview why I didn't attend the b1b2 interview?

Simon I just remember in 2018 I had booked a b1b2 interview as I needed one for work however, my job ended up sending me to Europe instead of American but I forgot to cancel my b1b2 appointment. Will this effect my greencard appointment or do you think it could be brought up during the interview why I didn't attend the b1b2 interview?

Relax. Stop overthinking everything. Really.

Hi Team, especially @Britsimon @SusieQQQ , nice to meet you all. Question regarding working offshore.. I work as an engineer on superyachts so upon arrival I will head to Florida to find work. The yachts I work on are always 'flagged' to a tax-free countries, so I will be employed by a company "off shore" (even though the yacht is in US ports/waters working with other Americans). I will be travelling in and out of USA to places like Caribbean and costa rica. How would this effect my greencard? Upon arrival would I need to wait in america for a few months before getting on a yacht? Also would I need re-entry permit? I would just likely just be heading down for a few weeks/months at a time. I am a bit worried it might look dodgy coming in and out of America so often. Cheers, J

Hi Team, especially @Britsimon @SusieQQQ , nice to meet you all. Question regarding working offshore.. I work as an engineer on superyachts so upon arrival I will head to Florida to find work. The yachts I work on are always 'flagged' to a tax-free countries, so I will be employed by a company "off shore" (even though the yacht is in US ports/waters working with other Americans). I will be travelling in and out of USA to places like Caribbean and costa rica. How would this effect my greencard? Upon arrival would I need to wait in america for a few months before getting on a yacht? Also would I need re-entry permit? I would just likely just be heading down for a few weeks/months at a time. I am a bit worried it might look dodgy coming in and out of America so often. Cheers, J
You are correct that it would look “dodgy” coming in and out so often. Familiarize yourself with the green card rules (example link below) - but essentially make sure you are spending at least 6 months a year in the US. If not, a re-entry permit will help you keep your green card. Make sure you have a driver license, a bank account and a permanent address in a home state. Above all make sure you file your taxes every year. There may be tax complications due to being employed “offshore”, so also recommend you speak to a tax expert locally.

see especially 3rd section here https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af.../international-travel-as-a-permanent-resident
and 3rd section here https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/maintaining-permanent-residence

Our medical was just cancelled by the Doctor due to Sydney’s lockdown (groan). They’re only taking appointments if you have a scheduled interview now.

Our medical was just cancelled by the Doctor due to Sydney’s lockdown (groan). They’re only taking appointments if you have a scheduled interview now.
I am not surprised to be honest, which one was it O'Connell street?
Has your interview been officially cancelled, if you are an August interview I would argue saying your not yet cancelled.

Sorry to hear that, glad we had our medical on Friday, no issues, O'Connell St. Clinic were great to work with! Which clinic were you going to?

Sorry to hear that, glad we had our medical on Friday, no issues, O'Connell St. Clinic were great to work with! Which clinic were you going to?
It was the other one, MediCentral. Appointment has been cancelled/postponed - reschedule will happen once lockdown eases. It will be tight. But the directive came from the Embassy …

I suspect that the consulate are asking for this because the KCC are scheduling the interviews without considering the lockdown and the consulate don't want people to be paying for medicals, only for the consulate to not make it through all the interviews that need to be rescheduled before the cut off. :( God i hope that this lockdown doesn't last much longer. Here i was thinking getting the interview was going to be the last hurdle... LOL (just quietly losing my marbles in lockdown and over the anxiety of this) :cool:

I suspect that the consulate are asking for this because the KCC are scheduling the interviews without considering the lockdown and the consulate don't want people to be paying for medicals, only for the consulate to not make it through all the interviews that need to be rescheduled before the cut off. :( God i hope that this lockdown doesn't last much longer. Here i was thinking getting the interview was going to be the last hurdle... LOL (just quietly losing my marbles in lockdown and over the anxiety of this) :cool:
I know. My anxiety is the same. When was your interview booked originally? Ours was 16th Aug.

Hi everybody!

My family and I arrived in Dallas about 36 hours ago, and I thought I'd update on our journey.

Upon arrival at DFW airport we followed the signs to the "foreign nationals" line where there was an estimated wait of <2 minutes. It turned out to be more like 15 to get to the head of the queue due to two people head of us having issues, and when we got to the head of the line the Homeland Security officer took our biometrics and without any questions ushered us in to the secondary screening room.

My wife nervously asked why we were taken aside to that room and I answered honestly: "I don't know, maybe we're about to be rejected and deported and maybe he thinks we'll be more comfortable waiting here where there's seats, a soda vending machine, and a little playground for kids". It turns out it was the latter (thankfully!) because after about 30 minutes waiting we were called up to the desk and the officer tossed our passports through the hole, said "there you go", and pointed us at the door. No questions, not even "is the mailing address for your green card and SSN still the same?" (fortunately it is!).

So now we're in our AirBnB getting over the exhaustion from the flights. Tomorrow we go shopping for all the necessities - bank account, cell phone, car, etc.

I've got a couple of interviews for work this week so its all going really well.

One question: does anybody know how I can check the progress of the SSN and green card issuance? I assume there's a website or something...

Hi everybody!

My family and I arrived in Dallas about 36 hours ago, and I thought I'd update on our journey.

Upon arrival at DFW airport we followed the signs to the "foreign nationals" line where there was an estimated wait of <2 minutes. It turned out to be more like 15 to get to the head of the queue due to two people head of us having issues, and when we got to the head of the line the Homeland Security officer took our biometrics and without any questions ushered us in to the secondary screening room.

My wife nervously asked why we were taken aside to that room and I answered honestly: "I don't know, maybe we're about to be rejected and deported and maybe he thinks we'll be more comfortable waiting here where there's seats, a soda vending machine, and a little playground for kids". It turns out it was the latter (thankfully!) because after about 30 minutes waiting we were called up to the desk and the officer tossed our passports through the hole, said "there you go", and pointed us at the door. No questions, not even "is the mailing address for your green card and SSN still the same?" (fortunately it is!).

So now we're in our AirBnB getting over the exhaustion from the flights. Tomorrow we go shopping for all the necessities - bank account, cell phone, car, etc.

I've got a couple of interviews for work this week so its all going really well.

One question: does anybody know how I can check the progress of the SSN and green card issuance? I assume there's a website or something...
How exciting, congrats! Thank you for sharing and good luck with your job interviews this week!

congrats on all that. You can’t check the ssn, you just kind of have to wait a couple of weeks and if it hasn’t arrived go into a SSA office. For the green cards, enter the receipt number for the immigrant fee payment here https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do