• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 Oceania Selectees

Could it be that KCC sent it to the embassy to inflate their "scheduled Interview" numbers to make it look good before the session with Judge Mehta on the 19th?
Exactly what Aaron Hall ( Goh lawyer ) emailed me after I informed him that my interview was scheduled and postponed on the same date. I've been calling Suva Embassy weekly to find out if they would be accepting more interviews soon but every time same response that KCC is aware of situation in Fiji and will not schedule interviews until Covid is in control. So why only before July 19 hearing, 30 interview letters were sent to Fiji selectees ?. Imagine receiving 2NL in the morning and few hours later email from embassy informing that interview is postponed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210715-224654.png
    Screenshot_20210715-224654.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
we had the same thoughts... decided to still have our medical tomorrow, just incase we have a problem getting another appointment also another box ticked. I might mention to O'Connell St Clinic our visa appointment on the 27th at the Consulate (MLC Centre) was cancelled and hopefully new interview will be in North Sydney, don't want to loose all our medical results??
We’re thinking the same but 5 of us so $$$. I’m hoping we still make the Sept. 30 window. The doctor said it’s a hard one to know what to do… she wondered if they’d give priority to the ones who they have the medicals for already, she said a lot of people are coming from interstate for the interview and won’t be able to get here due to border closures/quarantine risk. She said Sydney locals might be more lucky with getting an appointment by the deadline.

Hey guys, how did you post your university certificate to the consulate? My Massey University one is really big and I don't want it to get damage as its my only/original copy. Not sure on what to do and have to post it by Monday. Can I send a JP signed copy and then bring the original to the interview?

Obviously the doctor is aware of any such cases and allowances are made for it, if necessary noted on the visa packet that x shot still needs to be done. i don’t believe (from my own and other experience) that this applies to the main required adult shots as mentioned by missystar (on that list also note that the flu shot is seasonal, so not everyone gets it).
Hey Susie, my interview is in aug 21 which is in the seasonal slot however, I don't want the flu vax (personal reasons). Do you think I would have a chance to bypass this vaccine if I sign a form or affidavit stating I will only enter America when its the off season period (when other applicates don't need the vaccine) such as, January/Feb. That is also when I genuinely plan to head over.

Hey Susie, my interview is in aug 21 which is in the seasonal slot however, I don't want the flu vax (personal reasons). Do you think I would have a chance to bypass this vaccine if I sign a form or affidavit stating I will only enter America when its the off season period (when other applicates don't need the vaccine) such as, January/Feb. That is also when I genuinely plan to head over.
I don’t know, I don’t believe the doctors can make that kind of waiver but I guess you can ask. Bear in mind Jan/Feb is the height of flu season in the US so I’m not sure that argument would fly, but.. you can ask. Fwiw “personal reasons” is not really accepted as a reason not to get vax’d, medical reasons are obviously taken into account, and I believe there is a somewhat involved waiver process (that DV selectees may run out of time in) for people seeking religious exemption.

Hey guys, how did you post your university certificate to the consulate? My Massey University one is really big and I don't want it to get damage as its my only/original copy. Not sure on what to do and have to post it by Monday. Can I send a JP signed copy and then bring the original to the interview?
Just send them your record of achievement from NZQA. They don't require the physical degree nor ask for it in the interview.

I don’t know, I don’t believe the doctors can make that kind of waiver but I guess you can ask. Bear in mind Jan/Feb is the height of flu season in the US so I’m not sure that argument would fly, but.. you can ask. Fwiw “personal reasons” is not really accepted as a reason not to get vax’d, medical reasons are obviously taken into account, and I believe there is a somewhat involved waiver process (that DV selectees may run out of time in) for people seeking religious exemption.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I believe the reason for the flu vaccine is based upon the applicants own winter season not when americas is? Hence, NZ applicants who are interviewed our in our spring-summer (USA - Autumn/winter) don't need the flu vaccine before heading over. It seems odd that I am 3 weeks before the cut off date but still need it even though I am heading over during the period when other applicants don't need it. I will attempt the waiver and am hoping as I only need to get the flu vax that they might accept and the process might be faster.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I believe the reason for the flu vaccine is based upon the applicants own winter season not when americas is? Hence, NZ applicants who are interviewed our in our spring-summer (USA - Autumn/winter) don't need the flu vaccine before heading over. It seems odd that I am 3 weeks before the cut off date but still need it even though I am heading over during the period when other applicants don't need it. I will attempt the waiver and am hoping as I only need to get the flu vax that they might accept and the process might be faster.
please give feedback, I personally don’t think you’ll be successful but will find it interesting to be proved wrong.

PS I presume you are not referring to trying the use the formal waiver for religious or personal belief exemption, as part of that is “The applicant must be opposed to all vaccinations in any form” which you clearly are not, so it will be refused.

Update: I got my physical green card today :) 6 weeks after entering the country! Not bad at all :)
Important to note: even though I updated my address online in myuscis & filled out the change of address form, they still posted it to the invalid address the CBP officer put at the POE LOL. I had signed up for a USPS account + informed delivery + set up text alerts for the tracking number, so I was texted at 8.43am saying it was returned to sender for insufficient address (the apartment # wasn’t included). When I tell you I RAN to the post office hahaha. I explained the situation to the supervisor at the post office and she ran out the back to grab it for me, just had to show my passport to receive it. WHEW. I have my 3rd, and hopefully final, appointment at the SSA office on Monday at 1.40pm. Fingers crossed I can FINALLY start my life here very soon lol.

Update: I got my physical green card today :) 6 weeks after entering the country! Not bad at all :)
Important to note: even though I updated my address online in myuscis & filled out the change of address form, they still posted it to the invalid address the CBP officer put at the POE LOL. I had signed up for a USPS account + informed delivery + set up text alerts for the tracking number, so I was texted at 8.43am saying it was returned to sender for insufficient address (the apartment # wasn’t included). When I tell you I RAN to the post office hahaha. I explained the situation to the supervisor at the post office and she ran out the back to grab it for me, just had to show my passport to receive it. WHEW. I have my 3rd, and hopefully final, appointment at the SSA office on Monday at 1.40pm. Fingers crossed I can FINALLY start my life here very soon lol.
Fantastic news! So do you need the locally issued green card to be able to work as well as the SSN? I have a SSN already from my time there previously and was wondering if that's all I needed along with my passport to show I can work when applying for jobs?

Fantastic news! So do you need the locally issued green card to be able to work as well as the SSN? I have a SSN already from my time there previously and was wondering if that's all I needed along with my passport to show I can work when applying for jobs?
Your stamped immigrant visa turns into a temporary green card when you enter. You are authorized to work as soon as the CBP guy says “welcome to america”. Your previous SSN will be retained, but it may take a little bit to update the work authorization aspect (whatever you had before if not a green card would have said work with dhs authorization or something like that). Employers can check online via everify to see if you are authorized to work.

Your stamped immigrant visa turns into a temporary green card when you enter. You are authorized to work as soon as the CBP guy says “welcome to america”. Your previous SSN will be retained, but it may take a little bit to update the work authorization aspect (whatever you had before if not a green card would have said work with dhs authorization or something like that). Employers can check online via everify to see if you are authorized to work.
Thanks Sussie!

Yep what Susie said :) my situation is just weird because Mesa SSA refused to accept my temp i551 to get a replacement SSN. This isn’t the norm, and it isn’t policy. I just hit a brick wall with them & thankfully got my physical card so I can finally get my SSN from them to work lol.

Just send them your record of achievement from NZQA. They don't require the physical degree nor ask for it in the interview.
I stated my university degree as my highest education level so I assume I have to back this up? Did you send it a photocopy or original ROA?

Go to the medical with whatever records you have
Hey, I've been collecting all my documents for my appointment and all my childhood vaccines and some of my overseas vaccine documents are missing the brand and batch number, will this be a problem do you think? For example, it just says "hep b - 02/05/90". It's all very vague, especially my plunket book :(

Hey, I've been collecting all my documents for my appointment and all my childhood vaccines and some of my overseas vaccine documents are missing the brand and batch number, will this be a problem do you think? For example, it just says "hep b - 02/05/90". It's all very vague, especially my plunket book :(
My Plunket book with dates were not accepted.
You either need a serology report, or the exact details to get it marked off.
Part of the reason why I got re-vaccinated.

Any one received 2nl for interview in Fiji ?
I had received mine in May scheduled for June. Unfortunately with the cases of COVID-19 rising in Fiji, they keep saying the Consular Services are postponed. I think I emailed two weeks ago and they said they were only processing family based visas. I don't understand why they can't cater for ours as well since government has made it clear that there will be no lockdown and most businesses are opening and following health protocols

I believe we should start insisting that they start interviews with Covid precautions. I am getting my 2nd dose of the vaccine next week.
Quite a significant portion of the population in Fiji have gotten their 1st dose however the issue is getting the required people on the 2nd dose. I don't believe we will reach the required rate before the end of Sep or even the end of the year for that matter.

Based on the Save Diversity Visa web site, Suva Embassy just got 30 new DV cases in the last few days. They now have a total of 138 cases that are now Ready for interview.

Assuming they start interviews from 1st Aug, they would need to do 15 DV interviews per week. This is going to be 60 interviews per month to clear the 138 case backlog.

Based on the historical data (Immigrant Visa Issuance by Post) Suva Embassy has done on average 22 interviews per month pre pandemic. This is for all visa categories. Their average DV rate was 6 per month.

Their best month was actually after the Gomez order, they managed to conduct 35 DV interviews in Sep-20 and total of 60 interviews for all visa categories.

However based on Shaunz comments the embassy has likely cancelled all Aug interviews.

So the question is how are they going to clear the backlog of 138 cases just in one month? if they even start the interviews in Sep
Now this is only speculation on my part but why did they schedule 30 more cases to only go and cancel them. Could it be that KCC sent it to the embassy to inflate their "scheduled Interview" numbers to make it look good before the session with Judge Mehta on the 19th? KCC would have been aware of the situation in Fiji before sending the cases. I have not seen other embassy data to confirm this but it just does not seem right
I totally agree that they should start with the interviews soon! I don't understand how many businesses in Fiji are opening except for the US Embassy for interviews. I mean even the second hand shops are open. Even if we gotta wear our own PPE gear to attend the interview, totally fine by me.

I do have a question though, the cancelled interviews in August Shaunz is assuming, is it referring to the original date scheduled by NVC in the 2NL? I received my 2NL in May and was scheduled for June and when I asked about what would happen if the interview was cancelled, they said they would give a 3 weeks notice for a new interview. That was around last month when I asked. Till now I keep emailing and they keep sending and automated email that says Consular services are still suspended and they'll reach out to me to reschedule. It's now approaching a new week and Still no new interview date. Which is why I'm asking about the August interviews that may have been cancelled, is it referring to the appointment date in our 2NL or any appointment that is to take place in August or September regardless whether is was scheduled by NVC or rescheduled by the US Embassy in Fiji.

My Plunket book with dates were not accepted.
You either need a serology report, or the exact details to get it marked off.
Part of the reason why I got re-vaccinated.
Wow, thank you for telling me this . How long does the serology test take? Do you get it done at your immigration medical and attend the interview with pending results and then when the results are ready get them all done before they confirm the greencard?