• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Oceania Selectees

Wondering if someone could provide some guidance please. I activated my visa back in March but unfortunately, my wife and 3 children were unable to travel at that time. Since then, the Australian government has knocked back our multiple requests to travel to the US to activate our visas. The visas have now expired and I was wondering if it is worth trying to get them reissued before 30 September or just filing for the F2A visa? Thanks.

Wondering if someone could provide some guidance please. I activated my visa back in March but unfortunately, my wife and 3 children were unable to travel at that time. Since then, the Australian government has knocked back our multiple requests to travel to the US to activate our visas. The visas have now expired and I was wondering if it is worth trying to get them reissued before 30 September or just filing for the F2A visa? Thanks.
If it were me I'd try to get them reissues, my understanding is that F2A will take a few years to process - can you be without your family for that long?
Susie, Mom or Simon may be able to give more info on processing times

last we heard here, Sydney seemed amenable to reissue. @Foley83 may be able to give an update on their process for getting reissued visas? That will definitely be a far more preferable process to F2A, which under normal circumstances was taking around 2 years, who knows now with all the embassy backlogs (F2A is also one of those banned till next year).

Last edited:
If it were me I'd try to get them reissues, my understanding is that F2A will take a few years to process - can you be without your family for that long?
Susie, Mom or Simon may be able to give more info on processing times
Thanks for your reply. So there is no way for them to come over while the F2A process is underway?

last we heard here, Sydney seemed amenable to reissue. @Foley83 may be able to give an update on their process for getting reissued visas? That will definitely be a far more preferable process to F2A, which under normal circumstances was taking around 2 years, who knows now with all the embassy backlogs (F2A is also one of those banned till next year).

Well it's been one hell of a ride for us but like all good roller coasters we're getting off at the same spot we got on. Unfortunately we had some "complications" with the medicals and needed further testing done that would take 8 weeks to process. This would have put us just past the Sept 30 deadline.
We had already sent our applications/passports in to the consulate on the same day we sat the medical exam, so the consulate received our package on the Friday and emailed us the same day requesting the medicals. I hate to speculate but once they received the medicals I'd say 3 they would have issued the visas with 3 business days, same as last time for us (they actually seemed a lot more responsive to emails than last time and very understanding about the Aus travel ban).
Big thanks to all who helped out with advice over the last year and a bit . It feels like a lifetime ago that we started this process and this forum is most likely the only thing that has keep me sane through it all :).

Well it's been one hell of a ride for us but like all good roller coasters we're getting off at the same spot we got on. Unfortunately we had some "complications" with the medicals and needed further testing done that would take 8 weeks to process. This would have put us just past the Sept 30 deadline.
We had already sent our applications/passports in to the consulate on the same day we sat the medical exam, so the consulate received our package on the Friday and emailed us the same day requesting the medicals. I hate to speculate but once they received the medicals I'd say 3 they would have issued the visas with 3 business days, same as last time for us (they actually seemed a lot more responsive to emails than last time and very understanding about the Aus travel ban).
Big thanks to all who helped out with advice over the last year and a bit . It feels like a lifetime ago that we started this process and this forum is most likely the only thing that has keep me sane through it all :).

There's no way to speed up the tests...? Good to hear the consulate are being more understanding, they weren't particularly so when I was initially trying to get out of the country (though I was ultimately able to)

There's no way to speed up the tests...? Good to hear the consulate are being more understanding, they weren't particularly so when I was initially trying to get out of the country (though I was ultimately able to)
No such luck I'm afraid. We tried everything from second & third opinions, to almost flat-out bribery and even the dreaded "talk to the manager".
They didn't go too scientific on us, but the tests require cultures to be grown over 8 weeks in the lab.
It's been a tough slog through the whole process, but sometimes you just need to listen to what the universe is trying to tell you.

No such luck I'm afraid. We tried everything from second & third opinions, to almost flat-out bribery and even the dreaded "talk to the manager".
They didn't go too scientific on us, but the tests require cultures to be grown over 8 weeks in the lab.
It's been a tough slog through the whole process, but sometimes you just need to listen to what the universe is trying to tell you.
Ah! Sorry to hear. Sounds like an intense test - hoping you’re all well and healthy!!

You’re right, sometimes you gotta listen to the cues of the universe...

Not to mention that if the embassies need directive/clarification from the US - its still Sunday here and as Susie mentioned Monday is a holiday

Do they take the local holidays as well? Sounds like a chill gig....
Yes, afaik all embassies everywhere take both local and national country holidays.i guess it’s chill enough if you’re stationed in Auckland, maybe not so much in Baghdad or Beirut.

Anyone else here from QLD? What happens if Sydney schedule’s us an interview we can’t get back into Qld because the border is still closed ...unless we do the 14 day quarantine and pay $2800

Do we need to have the public charge form please anybody?

It would be in your best interest to have it with you. The CO may not ask for it, but it’s always better to have ALL your documents present at the interview. More so than ever because there are a few days left for DV20 as it stands.