• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Oceania Selectees

So, this anedcote does indicate repeated use of a photo still does not disqualify before selection.

But the answer to your question is part of what we don’t know. Technically it’s not allowed, in practice so far, like you, we have heard of people doing it and being ok. I’ve never heard of the denials for using same photo as a tourist visa before, that’s interesting and shows they do take the criterion somewhat seriously. It’s not a risk I’d take personally as they could decide at any time to implement it with respect to previous entry photos too.
Well, in this group I'm telling you about (spanish speaking) we had 3 cases when the Green Card was denied based on the use of the same photo used on a tourist visa. In one case, the woman had a tourist visa -issued in 2016- and they denied the green card and annulled the tourist visa because she used the same picture. Two other cases were denied because their DV entry picture was the same of a tourist visa REQUEST that was rejected.
Also they gave them a document with the denial that reads (I'm translating from spanish) "The picture included in the original application of the program was over 6 months and it was confirmed that it was used in a previous visa process"

I have a picture of that letter, if you want me to send it to you.

Well, in this group I'm telling you about (spanish speaking) we had 3 cases when the Green Card was denied based on the use of the same photo used on a tourist visa. In one case, the woman had a tourist visa -issued in 2016- and they denied the green card and annulled the tourist visa because she used the same picture. Two other cases were denied because their DV entry picture was the same of a tourist visa REQUEST that was rejected.
Also they gave them a document with the denial that reads (I'm translating from spanish) "The picture included in the original application of the program was over 6 months and it was confirmed that it was used in a previous visa process"

I totally believe you! Just had not heard of a confirmed case of disqualification on old photos.
And I’m sure with current software it’s easy for them to look through previous entries for the same photos.

If there are big holes in OC, I’m guessing it’s not a fraud-related algorithm.
Time to find out again if any selectees were selected with re-used photos? We know that still worked for DV19 but maybe it’s been tightened up now. Anecdotally it did seem like a lot of people used the same photo again. (Not sure if it would be enough to make big holes though.)

Yup. That would be my guess too - based on OC. But there could be a couple of things going on.

I totally believe you! Just had not heard of a confirmed case of disqualification on old photos.
And I’m sure with current software it’s easy for them to look through previous entries for the same photos.

Yeah - old photos have always been a risk for disqualification at interview. If they can prove the photo was old - because of appearance, or some other reason (such as using it on a previous application), then a CO could deny based on that.

Whether the rule clarification about photos from previous DV entries is now a disqualification of the entry itself is still interesting though. WE would need a number of cases to establish a proof though.

Hi new to this forum I have finally been selected for the next step of the DV lottery after applying for the last 13 years lol for 2020,my case no. OC17xx I know things are changing but anyone know if this is a decent number? Excited to be apart of this process cheers

Hi new to this forum I have finally been selected for the next step of the DV lottery after applying for the last 13 years lol for 2020,my case no. OC17xx I know things are changing but anyone know if this is a decent number? Excited to be apart of this process cheers
Congratulations on your selection! While it’s still a little too early to know if your number is safe. I suggest that you hold off submitting you ds260 form until we get a clear idea of what the numbers are like. Simon has a great blog with a heap of information to get you started. Be sure to check out his YouTube and Facebook accounts as well.

What is likely is that if your number becomes current it won’t be until later next year so you have plenty of time to familiarise yourself with the process.

Thanks so much for the response greatly appreciated! Yes I have just found Britsimons website he is awesome. Lots of reading to do cos I never thought I would get selected hahaha. Are you a previous "winner". how do I know when or if my case becomes current? Wait for the monthly bulletin? Sorry I am reading so much info and just trying to understand a bit more!!!

Thanks so much for the response greatly appreciated! Yes I have just found Britsimons website he is awesome. Lots of reading to do cos I never thought I would get selected hahaha. Are you a previous "winner". how do I know when or if my case becomes current? Wait for the monthly bulletin? Sorry I am reading so much info and just trying to understand a bit more!!!
Yup I was lucky enough to receive my visa last month and am off on an activation trip next month.

Yes you wait for the monthly bulletin to see when your case is current.

Yup I was lucky enough to receive my visa last month and am off on an activation trip next month.

Yes you wait for the monthly bulletin to see when your case is current.
Congrats that's so awesome! Do you know where you want to move to? Also thanks again for being so welcoming

The total amount of OC selectees this year is less than last, and everyone of the 2019 DV lottery is current. Time will tell as more data comes in but at least the high case numbers aren't so scary any more.

Yup I am moving to Las Vegas ;)
And you will find the group a great support for you during this journey.
That's awesome! I'm so happy I came across this message board thanks google lol! So much info to learn I have been reading so much! So now to wait for my 2NL and send docs is that right! Do I do my police report from now or is it too early as I know my interview won't be till 2020 Sorry for being so slow ☺️

Last edited:
That's awesome! I'm so happy I came across this message board thanks google lol! So much info to learn I have been reading so much! So now to wait for my 2NL and send docs is that right! Do I do my police report from now or is it too early as I know my interview won't be till 2020 Sorry for being so slow ☺️
In general the process is
Submit DS-260
wait
Send docs to KCC when requested
wait
Receive 2NL
Request police cert
book medical
wait
Attend Interview

If you need police certificates from any other country and you do not intend to return there you can prepare ahead and organise them, I'd wait on the one from your home country (Australia?) so that it's validity is closer to your interview date

Hard to say when your interview will be, your CN is high but 2020 seems to be full of holes so best to wait for the first few bulletins to come out and try to see if you can get a feel for their pace.

Submit DS-260
wait
wait
Receive 2NL
Request police cert
book medical
wait
Attend Interview

If you need police certificates from any other country and you do not intend to return there you can prepare ahead and organise them, I'd wait on the one from your home country (Australia?) so that it's validity is closer to your interview date

Hard to say when your interview will be, your CN is high but 2020 seems to be full of holes so best to wait for the first few bulletins to come out and try to see if you can get a feel for their pace.

Slight correction:
Submit DS-260
wait
Send docs to KCC when requested (meaning Request police cert)
wait
Receive 2NL
book medical
wait
Attend Interview

Submit DS-260
wait
wait
Receive 2NL
Request police cert
book medical
wait
Attend Interview

Thanks so much for all that greatly appreciated!